Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collinite 915 and 476 Side-By-Side Comparo

Shot the temp of a neighbors Ford sort of the same color as yours at 146F. The asphalt 124 and the sand/dirt at 115. Outside temp was91. Summer is coming

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    Shot the temp of a neighbors Ford sort of the same color as yours at 146F. The asphalt 124 and the sand/dirt at 115. Outside temp was91. Summer is coming

Dave
    That kind of heat just eats LSP`s for lunch. P21S can be toast after just days in the summer. However, IME, the look lasts longer than the protection. Back in the days of "feed the paint", the mentality was that the oils and stuff in high-quality waxes go much further than protection, in that they rejuvenate the paint, and this effect lasts a decent amount of time. I like to think this is true for clearcoats, but it was likely more true for single stage paints.

Post Thanks / Like

WaxAddict:
    Does one look glossier or shinier that the other as time as progressed, in your subjective visual observation???

I only ask because if they ALMOST look identical to you and to 90-95% of the casual observers on your vehicle, WHY spend more on a wax (915) than some wax that has almost the same look and protection (476S) for less money? I bought 915 hoping (thinking) that the (purported) higher carnauba wax content would give me a glossier/shinier look than 476S. SOOO, am I fooling myself?? Just saying.....
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Dont forget the ease of use factor... 476 can be a bit more difficult than 915, at least in my experience

Post Thanks / Like

WacAddict- The "feed the paint" thing applies to older single stage, not b/c or the newer (urrethane/etc.) ss, though something that`s really oxidized might get a bit of benefit. All about the paint chemistry...not that I have a proper understanding of it

I`ve posted before about how the guys at Collinite said that they use 476S, and only offer the 915 (at its price) because customers wanted/pay more for something with more carnauba.

jrock645- Not to play Blam the Victim, but I`m always surprised when somebody finds 476S to be difficult (to any degree). It`s not Souveran-easy, but it`s awfully close. You`re using a damp applicator, right? Just wondering why the YMMV thing works out that way for this wax....
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

3-Week Update

Both sides are looking identical. Any advantage that 476 had seems to be gone now. Beads are much less hemispherical on both sides.

The hood (test area) has seen hard water sprinkler battering, which dried on the paint. Also some record-breaking VERY HOT days in full sun. Just normal life for an un-garaged DD. I waterless-washed the hood with Spray & Wipe and then sprayed with water on the "shower" setting after a good hosing down.

Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    WaxAddict:
    Does one look glossier or shinier that the other as time as progressed, in your subjective visual observation???

I only ask because if they ALMOST look identical to you and to 90-95% of the casual observers on your vehicle, WHY spend more on a wax (915) than some wax that has almost the same look and protection (476S) for less money? I bought 915 hoping (thinking) that the (purported) higher carnauba wax content would give me a glossier/shinier look than 476S. SOOO, am I fooling myself?? Just saying.....
    Sorry for the delay Lonnie. On THIS red Volvo the two waxes look identical, but on black and dark blue, I think you`ll see an improvement using 915 as far as depth and darkening. I can say for a fact that on Lapis blue Porsche paint, which is where I started my Collinite obsession, that 915 is "bolder looking" than 476 and much deeper with more jetting than 815. Especially on the soft bumpers and spoilers and wings, 915 just looked better to me than 476 and MANY other waxes and ALL sealants I had at the time, although I can`t explain it.

If you look at the price difference, 915 might be 75 cents per application more than 476. I wouldn`t sweat it.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Subscribed

Post Thanks / Like

Getting close to an update. The Wife and I are in Minot,ND for the foreseeable future as the Daughter is married to a Ssgt and she is pregnant with the first Grand Child. Just applied a coat of 476S to the truck. It is nowhere near the heat of AZ here and rains quite frequently so I will see how it stands up.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

dvidc- That`ll sure be a different situation all right, it`ll be interesting to see how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    dvidc- That`ll sure be a different situation all right, it`ll be interesting to see how it goes.
    Had to edit my post as I seemed to have not mentioned the Daughter. Brain was moving faster than the hands. Coming up here has been from one extreme (heat) to the other (cold). On the cold part I know come Oct., Nov. it gets much worse. Bad part is it looks like early Nov. for delivery. Rained this morning and Billions of tiny beads.

Dave
    Likes glfnaz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

davidc- Heh heh, can`t beat fresh Collinite for great beading!

Post Thanks / Like

7.5-Week Update

OK, this is the second time that I have had Collinite wax make a SHARP drop off while applied to this car. Needless to say, I am disappointed. Not in Collinite, but in my test. I have three other waxes on outdoor cars that were applied at the same time, and those are still beading.

The roof and hood of this car just don`t want to keep LSP.

I apologize to those following this test, as this isn`t typical results of Collinite, whether we`re talking 915 or 476.

If I had to pick, I`d say the 476 has a smidgen on life in it, evidenced by water shedding, seen on the second picture. As for beads, well, look. I tried before and after washing, but the beads just didn`t impress.

Post Thanks / Like

Waxaddict, do you have a Infrared Thermometer?

If you sat the Volvo and one of the other cars outside in the sun for a few hours before sunset then measured the surface temp ~20min after sunset what the diference would be. I bet the Volvo with the thicker metal holds a lot of heat.
    Thanks WaxAddict thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe do a 476 and other wax 50/50 and find out if it is really the vehicle itself ?.

Dave
    Thanks WaxAddict thanked for this post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information