Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Maintaining 55 yr old orig. lacquer

Back in the day to keep single stage shiny, old timers would use kerosene. Megs #7 would do a similar thing due to the mineral oil content. If stored inside, I don`t think a wax would even be needed. I WOULD NOT put a sealant or coating on single stage paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Sevillian- Oh man I just love that you`re taking such good care of that (and `61 Cadillacs are something I simply love)!

I would NOT clay it...I can`t imagine that it needs claying if my year-round Dailies don`t (even after years).

I`d go ahead and do the M07 pretty frequently since this is one of the (very) rare cases where "feeding the paint" is *not* BS. It`ll soak it up or it won`t, you`re just risking the waste of some time/effort with zero downside for the car. BUT...

If it still looks perfectly OK..like, zero apparent needs other than maybe a wash, I can see just rewaxing it.

See what you think of its condition.

If the wax is still healthy but you`re going to do the M07, I`d use some kind of very gentle Paint Cleaner to prep for the M07. While M07 can do more cleaning than one might think, no reason to overtax it IMO.

I do have a Q: You say you did the M07 and *THEN* you "glazed" it. The M07 is a glaze. What did you use for the "glaze step" before the wax? I always used M07 *as* my glaze...if doing multiple (gentle) steps on a car like yours I`d do M09 then M07 (though I preferred their other Pure Polishes) and then the wax.

Post Thanks / Like

wannafbody- Looks aside, I`d wax it just to provide some protection against stuff like etching.

I generally agree with you about not using a sealant on old-school lacquer, and I don`t do that. BUT...note that Irene at TOL (oh how I`ll miss them) used the Klasse twins on a single-stage BWM for years with great success. Not something I`d do, but well...just sayin`

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator- This is a special car, and I feel more like a caretaker than an owner. I`ve been told it may be the nicest original `61 Fleetwood in the country. Prior to my taking custody a couple of years ago, it won a senior first at Hershey, a national senior first at a Cadillac-LaSalle Club Grand National and a couple of preservation awards. Prior owner was feeling guilty about putting too many miles on it (he was in eastern New Brunswick, and going anywhere was a minimum couple of hundred miles round trip) so I offered to take it off his hands. He is a very meticulous (sounds better than anal) guy about his cars, and gave me the paint regimen he had been using, which was basically M07, followed by a professional product called CDN Everglaze, a very fine polish that he had been tipped off about by another CLC Club member, topped with a couple of coats of Pinnacle Souveran. I have continued that regimen, although I substituted P21S for the Souveran since I use it on my (repainted in two-stage) `60 Eldorado Seville and like it. I`m not into competitive judging; I just like doing local/regional car shows and enjoying it on the weekends, but just want it to look nice and do the best I can to preserve the old black lacquer. I give it a thorough detailing this time of year, rewax a couple of times during the summer to freshen the shine for events, and then just keep it clean during the winter with Megs pink spray detailer, so by now the wax is gone. But to cut to the bottom line, it sounds like you don`t think the Everglaze is necessary; the M07 is an appropriate polish step by itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Sevillian- I appreciate your "caretaker" mentality! I feel the exact same way about some of my stuff..

As for what to do with it, well, I hesitate to suggest changing what`s worked well for so long!

But...yeah. I don`t really see the point of using the M07 and then using something else that`ll almost certainly remove a lot of that same M07.

If I were gonna do something like that, I`d lean towards putting some of the old M09 into the mix as it`s closely related (ingredient wise) to the M07. Like...use the M09 (very gently, not trying to do correction with it), then a light M07, then your wax. The M09 would do some cleaning and filling (and hardly any real correction), the M07 would boost the oil/clay stuff, and the wax would protect

THEN, I`d ditch the Meguiar`s spray detailer and use something that doesn`t strip the wax. I`m all about IUDJ these days but I don`t know how that`d work with your routine. Still..I`d use some kind of RW to better protect things and if you pick the right one maybe you can skip having to do so much regularly.

I`m thinking of this as if it were my Jag, and when I was using that car all the time I could just wash/rewax for *ages*...and that was back before today`s "modern products". Did the same with other SS-paint cars too.

BTW, interesting that you prefer P21s to Souveran! Heh heh, that just goes to show how that Personal Preference thing always applies!

Post Thanks / Like

My mom prefers P21S to Souveran on her black Benz but I wouldn’t think of using anything but Souveran on my black Audi.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    My mom prefers P21S to Souveran on her black Benz but I wouldn’t think of using anything but Souveran on my black Audi.
    I`m impressed that your mom has a preference!

Post Thanks / Like

Maintaining 55 yr old orig. lacquer

Gotta wax that car for Mother’s Day coming up. Did a maintenance wash on it last weekend.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh...you`re sure doing the Good Son thing there. Just using a short-lived wax like that is borderline martyrdom IMO!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Eating Chinese food every Mother’s Day is also an act of that too but I’ve come to enjoy both over the years

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, the Chinese I can see, but enjoying the waxing? Well, this *is* Autopia...

Post Thanks / Like

I always enjoyed the waxing even if I do maintain 7 vehicles

Post Thanks / Like

I`m showing my ignorance here, but I suppose that is how I learn. Funny how my friends all think I`m such a detailing geek and then I come on here (and I`ve done a bit of lurking over the years) and realize I don`t know jack. I don`t necessarily prefer P21S, bit it was part of the recipe for Klasse AOI show car shine for 2 stage paint that I had used and liked, and I figured that since I already had it, it would be comparable to the Souveran (expensive carnauba), which I have never used. But I gather from the comments here that is not the case. But its not too late; I am rubbing off the M07 today, so I can get some Souveran and try it. I do know the previous owner liked it, and won things with it. As for the spray detailer, more ignorance here, but I did not realize that it strips wax! Except when using it as clay lube, I certainly don`t want to do that.
    Likes lloydrm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Maintaining 55 yr old orig. lacquer

I think you will really like Souveran. One spray that compliments it well is Crystal Mist. Its gotta be my favorite spray. I only use it when I apply Souveran.

Post Thanks / Like

Any non-cleaner paste wax is fine on old lacquer or alkaloid enamels.
    Liquids will work but due to the chemistry and compaction of age of either, paste is the best to use.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information