Post Thanks / Like

LSP/Sealant Experiment

When I was deciding what topper I wanted to use on my car after I put Gloss Coat on it, I was considering Opti-seal, reload, and then came across Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer. Even though Sonax BSD is technically "just" a detail spray, from many of the reviews I have read, most say it should be considered a spray sealant rather than a detail spray, and it has some of the most hydrophobic properties I have ever seen. I was curious if Sonax Brilliant Spray Detailer would outlast and offer more protection than Opti-seal so I decided to conduct a little experiment since nobody really compared these 2 products since they`re marketed differently. I`m not sure if many of you care to see how these products compare since this isn`t really an apples to apples comparison, but I thought I`d post my findings regardless.

I know doing this experiment on a coated car could possibly skew the results, so I decided to use my daily lease as the test car. I washed, clayed (nanoskined) and used M205 on the hood to remove any possible oils/sealants (there was absolutely nothing on this car), did an IPA wipe down, followed by an additional wipe down with Optimum paint prep spray (similar to Carpro Eraser) and applied Opti-seal to the center of the hood, Sonax BSD to the passenger side of the hood, and just for kicks, I applied Collinite 845 to the driver side of the hood, just so we can have a 3 way comparison. I also applied Sonax BSD to the passenger side of the car and Opti-seal to the drivers side of the car. The only part of the car that was polished was the hood, I didn`t have the patience today to polish the whole car, not to mention I`m under the weather.

Here`s a quick cell phone pic of the hood. Sorry for the crappy quality, I promise all upcoming pictures of the results will be MUCH higher quality.

This car is NEVER garaged and driven all year round so we should really be able to see which product is the most durable. My money is on Collinite 845, but I really don`t know what`s gonna happen between Opti-seal and Sonax BSD. What do you guys think?

*Fast Forward 24 hours*

Took some pics today as well as a video comparing the hydrophobic properties of each. As far as appearance, I can`t really see a difference between the 3. Sonax BSD is definitely the most hydrophobic of the bunch, followed by Collinite 845, followed by Opti-seal.

This is before any water hit the hood.

Here are some beading shot of the Sonax BSD side of the hood

Here are some Opti-seal beading action shots

And Here are some shots from the Collinite 845 side

Here`s the video of the water behavior of each product. Forgive how nasally and lethargic I sound, I have a wicked bad cold and it`s kicking my ass. I can feel my pulse in my eye balls lol.

Likes Ronkh, Migue, JustJesus, tropicsteve, WaxAddict liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh, JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: LSP/Sealant Experiment

Hope you feel better. I`m just kicking a two week cold that sent me to the doctor for chest X-rays. I`m hoping it`s over and no relapse. Get some rest, the car can wait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Hope you feel better. I`m just kicking a two week cold that sent me to the doctor for chest X-rays. I`m hoping it`s over and no relapse. Get some rest, the car can wait.
    Thanks. Some colds can really be a pain in the ass. These stupid colds just linger so long.

You also, feel better. Two weeks fighting a cold is long enough, keep resting and dress in layers. This weather can really mess you up.
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful test !!!!!!!!! Thank you !

Definitely gonna keep my eye on this thread.

Thank you again and feel better.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Beautiful test !!!!!!!!! Thank you !

Definitely gonna keep my eye on this thread.

Thank you again and feel better.
    No problem! I`ll have an update in about 2 weeks to see how they`re holding up.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good test. I am also testing Sonax BSD against 3 others. I am on Week 5 and the Sonax is still holding up(weaker of course but still there). My prep was less "pro" than yours since I am doing my test for business purposes for clients that only want a basic wash/light nano skin/spray wax and cannot afford any correction.
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    Good test. I am also testing Sonax BSD against 3 others. I am on Week 5 and the Sonax is still holding up(weaker of course but still there). My prep was less "pro" than yours since I am doing my test for business purposes for clients that only want a basic wash/light nano skin/spray wax and cannot afford any correction.
    Wow! 5 weeks is impressive for a "detail spray." I guess those saying this is more of a spray sealant are right. I`m definitely gonna be using this stuff as a topper on my car with gloss coat if that`s the case.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
    Wow! 5 weeks is impressive for a "detail spray." I guess those saying this is more of a spray sealant are right. I`m definitely gonna be using this stuff as a topper on my car with gloss coat if that`s the case.
    I`m impressed as well, definitely much more than a "Quick Detailer" and if I`m getting those results without heavy decon nor an IPA/Eraser wipedown, I`m convinced it is a great product for personal use especially after a thorough prep like you did for your test. Results may vary depending on weather and location I`m sure , and my test hood is stationary(not being driven around) but exposed to weather 24/7 and it`s been between 60 and 90+ degrees throughout these weeks along with rain spots getting baked, pine needles and tree junk just sitting there until the weekly test wash.

It`s weird how it doesn`t feel slick at all, but it`s some very good stuff from what I`ve seen and not bad at all for an economical spray on product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
    Thanks for doing the test! Any updates?

I just coated my car with Sonax PNS and have a bottle of BSD on hand as wel .

Went from 845 to PNS this year to try it out.

Post Thanks / Like

I`d like to see updates as well. Good test.

Post Thanks / Like

Subscribed. I love a good spray.

Thread Information