Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best base coat under spray waxes

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    <------ Self absorbed..
    You know, like ultra plush microfiber towels - or Corvette owners!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang View Post
    Thanks. This forum seems to be populated with guys who aren`t as self-absorbed as those posting on Geek. Funny how different things can be on two forums run by the same company. I think I`ll stick around, but if anybody asks me for my opinion on Competition Ready I may get banned!
    As this thread is starting to go a bit sideways, I`ll make these comments. Having read this post I had to go check your posts on AG. I`m interested in seeing that we start off on a level playing field. I believe it`s important to establish a common understanding between you as a new member and the Autopia staff. Furthermore, I think it`s imparative that this be said, what happened with you and your membership on AutoGeek is between you and AutoGeek. While Autopia takes its marching orders from PBMG, they have never asked Autopia to follow AutoGeek`s lead. These two forums are seperate entities and have been treated as such by PBMG.

We have a great group of members on this forum, the forum as a whole can talk about most anything and show both respect and tolerence for others during these discussions. Even political threads have little need for staff intervention and that`s a trait not often found on forums today.

Autopia Forums values its members and intends to see that the discussions on this forum are both open and civil. The staff does its best to make sure our members are comfortable voicing their opinions in the discussions while keeping the threads relevant. Having now read a number of your posts on that forum it is my feeling that many were inappropriate. Many of those posts were both condesending and derogatory with a general lack of respect for the forum and its members. It almost goes without saying that to display the same demeanor and common lack of courtesy on Autopia would have a similar outcome.

Well... there it is. The ball`s in your court.

Now back to the scheduled programming.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes The Guz, Ronkh liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TJinFL View Post
    Have patience with me as I am a newbie/amateur at detailing.

In the past I have primarily waxed and washed my vehicle. I was using Mother`s carnauba paste wax then about 3 years ago I upgraded to Klasse AIO followed by Collinite 476s.

But less than 2 months ago I got a new silver RAV4 and after using the KAIO and 476s on it began noticing white stains on all my porous black trim around the entire lower extremity of the vehicle. I have been able to remove it with Dawn and IPO. Apparently the 476s was the culprit which I ignorantly applied to the trim to protect it.

So I have been doing some research and have decided to start using a spray wax like D156 over the base coats.

I am beginning to see the complexity of the subject. Using multiple products to care for one`s car`s surface, change one variable and everything changes.

This morning it occurred to me that whereas most persons experience with apply spray waxes was that they go on quickly - say in 7 to 15 minutes to do the whole car. But my experience of applying D159 over a 9 week old coating of 476s was quite different. It took me most of an hour to apply the D156.

Now I had chosen 476s about 2 years ago when my plan was to wax my previous car say every 8 months and I was looking for longevity.

But now I realize 476s may not be the ideal base coating for a spray wax.

Also now I have discovered Aquawax, Optimum Car Wax, & Pinnacle Liquid Spray Wax.

I will probably dump the 476s because of the trim staining issues.

So what is an ideal base coat for spray waxes?? A wax such a Pinnacle Sovereign for example or a sealant such as WG high gloss sealant? Should one stick within a product line?
    I enjoy me some product synergy and I like to use D156 with Meguiar`s M21 or ultimate wax. Of the two ultimate liquid wax will not stain trim.

If you choose to go with optimum car wax, it can be used as a stand alone product. Optimum claims up to 6 months of durability. You can use it as a drying aid keeping protection on the paint.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information