Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coatings?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coatings?

Quote Originally Posted by JBM View Post
    Hey Jared dont tell anyone, but Im polishing off coatings and trying new ones lol....
    I understand that enthusiast side of it - wanting to try various products and such.

I could see where a coating would be pretty good for me since I`m sort of out of the stage of wanting to fully detail my own vehicles and/or try new products for the most part. I wonder who the closest reputable Autopian detailer is around me... LOL
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.
    Likes Stokdgs, Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m like Jared, it seems like just a few months ago it was some sort of immuteable law of the universe that only pro`s could buy/apply it. and if the car got wet or rained on within 48 hours of said application, you were screwed. Apparently coatings have changed a lot very quickly.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by E-Jag View Post
    I`m like Jared, it seems like just a few months ago it was some sort of immuteable law of the universe that only pro`s could buy/apply it. and if the car got wet or rained on within 48 hours of said application, you were screwed. Apparently coatings have changed a lot very quickly.
    I even vaguely remember some heated arguments getting started about what constituted a "pro" and who was or wasn`t one. Lol...
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.
    Likes Ronkh, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Stokdgs, XxBoostinxX liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by agtjamesb007 View Post
    While we are on the subject of coatings, I have only heard of them a couple days ago. So questions are running through my head, but its something I would look into in the future. But I am wondering, If I had applied a coating to my car, and then something happened to it and it needed body work and to be re-painted? Sounds like it would be awfully difficult to remove in order to paint. I don`t know how thoroughly a wax and grease remover will work and may result in fish eyes and such. I realizes the areas are sanded and filled etc, but painting goes way beyond the damaged area in order to blend it in well with the rest of the car. Surely that entire area would not be sanded. What do you all think?
    The coating can be removed easily with abrasion, such as using a compound on the vehicle..

If you needed to get your vehicle repainted AND you do NOT GO to Maaco, etc., junk places, the Painter will thoroughly clean the area that will be re-sprayed, sand the area, wipe down the area with a solvent that removes any grease, etc., prime, block sand the primer with a guide coat, so it is all flat and straight, wipe down the area a few more times, run a tack cloth over the area right before, then paint the area and surrounding areas to blend the work..

The surrounding areas will have also been compounded and wiped down, so that the paint blend will adhere perfectly...

This above process is what I used a zillion times when I was Painting vehicles for a living...
    Dan F
    Thanks GearHead_1, JaredPointer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

how does klasse fit in the spectrum of sealant or coating

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

The Klasse product line is described as - " A Synthetic Wax (Sealant)"... "It`s an ACRYLIC resin formula that applies like a traditional car wax, but lasts much longer. Klasse is anti-static, non-abrasive and contains no ingredients harmful to paint, metal, plastic or glass."...

It came out 47 years ago...

Here is a Link to it at the Autopia Store --- Klasse All In One and Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze Paint Sealants

Dan F
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I personally just went with Optimum gloss coat. I have cquartz Dlux on my wheels and trim. That stuff is nothing short of amazing. The optimum sold me on the ease of application. While I had no issue applying the Dlux and likely wouldn`t applying the cquartz I watched some vids and that stuff is just stupid simple. Also wasn`t crazy about the 48 hour cure time. Hopefully the 10cc is enough to do both my cars.

If this works out it`s likely something I`ll offer to some of my clients I know are frequent auto paint raper visitors.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe gloss coat can be applied to plastic trim and outside glass, just not the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by suke View Post
    I personally just went with Optimum gloss coat. I have cquartz Dlux on my wheels and trim. That stuff is nothing short of amazing. The optimum sold me on the ease of application. While I had no issue applying the Dlux and likely wouldn`t applying the cquartz I watched some vids and that stuff is just stupid simple. Also wasn`t crazy about the 48 hour cure time. Hopefully the 10cc is enough to do both my cars.

If this works out it`s likely something I`ll offer to some of my clients I know are frequent auto paint raper visitors.
    It is really in application. It depends on how large the cars are. 10cc`s may or may not be enough. I used almost the entire 10cc`s on a 2015 Impala with a double coat application on the paint and a coat on the plastic trim.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/click-...loss-coat.html

I also applied it to a 2010 Camaro and I had about 2cc`s left after a double coat on the paint. I did not apply it to the trim at the time.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/click-...t-formula.html

Quote Originally Posted by JBM View Post
    I believe gloss coat can be applied to plastic trim and outside glass, just not the windshield.
    You are correct. Optimum recommends Opti-Glass for the windshield as it can handle abrasion better from the wiper blades.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    It is really in application. It depends on how large the cars are. 10cc`s may or may not be enough. I used almost the entire 10cc`s on a 2015 Impala with a double coat application on the paint and a coat on the plastic trim.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/click-...loss-coat.html

I also applied it to a 2010 Camaro and I had about 2cc`s left after a double coat on the paint. I did not apply it to the trim at the time.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/click-...t-formula.html

You are correct. Optimum recommends Opti-Glass for the windshield as it can handle abrasion better from the wiper blades.
    I`m doing a jeep wrangler unlimited then a 4 door civic. The top and all plastics for the jeep are treated with Dlux. So just the paint there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Those of us addicts who polish & wax as therapy won`t use coatings because we would have nothing to do for therapy or give us reason to buy more stuff to feed the addiction.
    If I`m not fishing,I`m wishing I was.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whitewater25 View Post
    Those of us addicts who polish & wax as therapy won`t use coatings because we would have nothing to do for therapy or give us reason to buy more stuff to feed the addiction.
    I would tend to disagree. There are plenty of other things to do. Interiors, wheels and tires. Coatings do require maintenance and upkeep. That will keep one busy.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I found gloss coat to be extremely easy to apply. Nothing was tricky about it.

Post Thanks / Like

are these coatings that come in the plastic syringe like a once open you better use it or can it be closed and used a few days later. i really hate wasting stuff

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information