Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Help me pick a coating for Porsche GT3

I`ll be doing a 997 GT3 the second weekend in June with a full correction and coating. I have never done a coating before. My plan is to go with OPT GC, but am open to other options. I initially looked at Uber, but it is so much more expensive than GC, and can`t see how it would be that much better.
    My main goals, in order, are:
    -Make it look awesome(its white so this is a little taller of an order, but looks are definitely important)
    -Protection(Strong protection, and last 2+ years)
    -Easy enough for a first timer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me pick a coating for Porsche GT3

If I were a pro I would pay very close attention to optimization training. Compound then polish, no wipe down between spray products, then wipe panels down with onr after hyper polish, could go right to gloss coat here, but there is an eraser type product that does more then just prep the paint- I read on the opt forums. I would be all over that too. Then gloss coat. Dont forget the pad washer with onr in it, total system.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a pro, and will not be using OPT polishes. I also do not have a pad washer. If I go with OPT I will be getting and using their paint prep spray

Post Thanks / Like

Gloss coat is a very easy to use coating and you should have little to no problems with this coating. It is probably one of the easiest consumer coatings on the market to apply.
    Thanks ViperGuy21 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Gloss coat is a very easy to use coating and you should have little to no problems with this coating. It is probably one of the easiest consumer coatings on the market to apply.
    Awesome! I think I`m trying to decide between PBL and OPT at this point...

Post Thanks / Like

I have used both. But between those two, I`d go with gloss coat. PBL is nice. The benefit of GC is no additional polishing step. PBL prep polish is recommended prior to using the PBL coating. using the prep polish for PBL. With GC an IPA wipe or their paint prep is all that`s needed for prepping the paint.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I have used both. But between those two, I`d go with gloss coat. PBL is nice. The benefit of GC is no additional polishing step. PBL prep polish is recommended prior to using the PBL coating. using the prep polish for PBL. With GC an IPA wipe or their paint prep is all that`s needed for prepping the paint.
    To my understanding...Black Diamond paint prep is no different essentially than optimum paint prep, blackfire paint prep, dp paint prep, etc

Which all are just fancy ipa wipes, right?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    This is a big attraction to GC for me, but I figure it`s wouldn`t be that much more work to apply the polish by machine and buff off with a MF. It would be nice to have enough to do more cars by getting the PBL though. 100 wheels, 50 windshields, and 5 cars(paint) advertised by the PBL kit for $200. $75 for GC kit that does paint and maybe have enough to do wheels once. The PBL seems like such better value, even at a higher initial investment...
    Why is this so difficult lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    To my understanding...Black Diamond paint prep is no different essentially than optimum paint prep, blackfire paint prep, dp paint prep, etc

Which all are just fancy ipa wipes, right?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Well with the PBL or McKee`s 37/DP prep polish, it has to be applied via DA or by hand using some sort of foam applicator. Thus another polishing step. The sprays are more convenient. The prep sprays could be considered fancy IPA wipes. The difference being that IPA doesn`t offer the lubricity of them.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the WG Uber with its ease of use and the finished appearance. I would say with my silver gray Audi I couldn`t have expected more. On my black caddi it really made a great difference but was never able to get any photos that would do it justice. It was a shame sold it a week after I applied the Uber just to see how it looks today.As far as price goes it is more expensive but if you watch Wolfgang`s site they quite often have 20~25% off with free shipping and sometimes a free gift with it. My last order it cost me 127 and a free bottle of Wolfgang Auto Bathe. For the 30cc kit I didn`t think that was too bad. And it has the advantage of being able to apply on basically everything on your exterior. As far as using a polish instead of a wipe down I would easily do a single polish instead of a double wipe that they suggest. After my finish polish I was really torn on whether to do Essence or the wipe but without a real answer on the longevity with Essence I did a double panel wipe to be on the safe side.

The 1st time I was in the rain with uber on my windshield I was plain amazed with how well it did going through town it blew the Forte I had previously used completely away(wish I had taken a video of it). The next time not so much maybe it was the light rain and more spray of the fact I had cleaned my windshield with WG perfect vision which from what I understand leaves a film which could of interfered with it. Since I have done an IPA wipe on my windshield so I will know the next time I am in the rain.

Here are a couple vids of Forte and Uber.

Flyby Forte https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYJbUqO8HIU

WG Uber https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBtEBdbxXXs

Post Thanks / Like

I have owned white cars and have done white Porsches. Not offense intended but please don`t plan on compounding the car if a finish polish gets you a great gloss. Most Porsche paint is softish and corrects like magic. Second if you never applied a coating don`t do it for the first time on someone else`s Porsche. Practice on a test panel. There is a learning curve. Gloss coat is easy to apply and I very protective. Can`t speak about the others you mention. 22ple and gtech Exo are also easy to apply but slightly less protective but more hydrophobic. That`s your trade off.

Coatings won`t make your paint more glossy. Only protects what you have created with the polish pretty much.

Good luck.
    Likes Stokdgs, RaskyR1, Ronkh liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent answer! I still recommend Myabi
    Likes ViperGuy21 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    I have owned white cars and have done white Porsches. Not offense intended but please don`t plan on compounding the car if a finish polish gets you a great gloss. Most Porsche paint is softish and corrects like magic. Second if you never applied a coating don`t do it for the first time on someone else`s Porsche. Practice on a test panel. There is a learning curve. Gloss coat is easy to apply and I very protective. Can`t speak about the others you mention. 22ple and gtech Exo are also easy to apply but slightly less protective but more hydrophobic. That`s your trade off.

Coatings won`t make your paint more glossy. Only protects what you have created with the polish pretty much.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the heads up on the paint, it would be awesome if I only have to do a polish, because I have 3 other cars of his to do(less work on each however)to do in a pretty tight time frame. Will of course do a test spot or two. I was planning on testing it out on a panel or two on my car first. No way I`m gonna use his $120k Porsche as my lab rat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient_1 View Post
    I really like the WG Uber with its ease of use and the finished appearance. I would say with my silver gray Audi I couldn`t have expected more. On my black caddi it really made a great difference but was never able to get any photos that would do it justice. It was a shame sold it a week after I applied the Uber just to see how it looks today.As far as price goes it is more expensive but if you watch Wolfgang`s site they quite often have 20~25% off with free shipping and sometimes a free gift with it. My last order it cost me 127 and a free bottle of Wolfgang Auto Bathe. For the 30cc kit I didn`t think that was too bad. And it has the advantage of being able to apply on basically everything on your exterior. As far as using a polish instead of a wipe down I would easily do a single polish instead of a double wipe that they suggest. After my finish polish I was really torn on whether to do Essence or the wipe but without a real answer on the longevity with Essence I did a double panel wipe to be on the safe side.

The 1st time I was in the rain with uber on my windshield I was plain amazed with how well it did going through town it blew the Forte I had previously used completely away(wish I had taken a video of it). The next time not so much maybe it was the light rain and more spray of the fact I had cleaned my windshield with WG perfect vision which from what I understand leaves a film which could of interfered with it. Since I have done an IPA wipe on my windshield so I will know the next time I am in the rain.

Here are a couple vids of Forte and Uber.

Flyby Forte https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYJbUqO8HIU

WG Uber https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBtEBdbxXXs

If I could get the 30cc kit for that price that would be really nice. I`m planning on ordering Memorial Day weekend so I can get in on some awesome sales, maybe I can manage that. Just another curveball lol

Post Thanks / Like

I just applied the Uber and can second the ease of application and great looks. I was debating on some choices also but ultimately I am happy with my decision. Just be sure to get some photos of whatever you decide to go with.
    Likes ViperGuy21 liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information