Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me pick a coating for Porsche GT3

I tried the DP(now Mckee`s 37) Paint Coating as my 1st shot at a coating, on my white car, and i was amazed by how easy it was. I ended up applying a 2nd coat (24hrs apart) just so that i could play with it some more. It was way easier than applying and buffing a sealant out. After 2 coats i still have plenty to do a few more cars. What convinced me to buy it was the price and the bottle with spray for ease of application . Even though it was white paint, it was easy to see any high spots with proper lighting and after a few minutes of curing they came off very easily.

Can`t comment on durability since it was applied recently,sorry.

Some pics, it`s no Porsche but it is white paint. Spot compounded to remove some deep scratches on Hood and the rest just polished :

Don`t mind the Fender dent

Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks ViperGuy21 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the pics!

Post Thanks / Like

You`re welcome. Good luck with whatever you end up choosing.
    Likes ViperGuy21 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    Coatings won`t make your paint more glossy. Only protects what you have created with the polish pretty much.

Good luck.
    That probably is true but with both my Cadillac and Audi to my eye they both looked better after I coated them.

Here are a couple pictures I took of my Audi. The first is taken right after I finished polishing it the second is basically the same photo one week later after I just finished coating it (I was going after a Merlin shot in both cases). The last is one that I believe shows the shine that I ended up with (I didn`t do from the front because of the clear bra and my very poor photography skills). I figure it looks pretty good for a 7 year old car.

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient_1 View Post
    That probably is true but with both my Cadillac and Audi to my eye they both looked better after I coated them.

Here are a couple pictures I took of my Audi. The first is taken right after I finished polishing it the second is basically the same photo one week later after I just finished coating it (I was going after a Merlin shot in both cases). The last is one that I believe shows the shine that I ended up with (I didn`t do from the front because of the clear bra and my very poor photography skills). I figure it looks pretty good for a 7 year old car.

Looks good! About how much did you use on that car? I think I`ve changed my mind AGAIN and I am planning on Uber at the moment lol

Post Thanks / Like

Too much. By the time I finished it was around 20cc`s. Close to half that was on my rims which I did on my kitchen table. The barrels were easy and the face of the spokes also but the actual spokes and bead area were where I wasted way too much product and still not sure if I got everything. After that I ordered some Hydro2 to use on them to get into the tight areas from now on. I wasn`t trying to be economical with it I just wanted to make sure I got good coverage. On my Seville I used about 10cc`s which is a larger car and being black was easier to see. On a white car lighting and vision will be quite important or like me you will use far more than needed which I believe will apply to any you chose.

When I coated my daughters white Civic that was a big problem for me.It was a bright sunny day and even tho I was in the shade I was almost snow blind and used way to much coating which just made a lot more work. But that was with BF CC and even when I did my brothers Escalade it was a real pain to buff off even when applied correctly which is why I still have probably 6oz left. Besides that I liked the finish left from the Uber better than the Blackfire.

His Escalade turned out really nice tho but a few months later he ended up getting a new one anyway. For that from whet I have seen of it the paint is defect free so I will do either a finish polish with Menz 3800 or Essence and top with Uber.

Post Thanks / Like

This is something that I`m a little perplexed by. I`ve seen where people use as little as 3cc`s to coat a medium sized sedan, and then accounts like yours where much more is used. I think that 15cc`s should be enough to do a little Porsche, including face of wheels and windshield, but I would hate to run out of product before finishing the job. I`d also like to have a little leftover to do a couple panels on my car. On the store it says 15cc`s should do the paint on 3 midsize cars, I figure I should have enough to do a GT3 and a couple panels on my Acura.....hopefully.....
    That is what was kind of drawing me tom PBL, having enough to do multiple cars...

Post Thanks / Like

I would say that would be possible 5~6cc`s per car. To me the most important factors would be lighting and vision to see the product being laid down. Because of age and diabetes my vision has gotten pretty bad the last couple years. 5 years ago I could read magazines and news papers easily and 7 or 8 years ago my vision was 20/15 (which was really good for my age I will be 65 in just over a month) but last summer I barely passed my eye test to get my DL renewed. Even if I had moved my lighting to optimum for each panel I guess I would of used half of what I did or less but I wasn`t concerned with the amount of product I was using and did 2 coats just to make sure I got complete coverage. So don`t think the amount I used is typical also don`t think on your 1st try you will do a whole car with 3cc`s either. A lot of people say that the carpro applicator with suede is a better way, for me when I tried it I used more product than with the LC applicator.

I do not have the experience of most of the people here so I am not an expert and just do my cars and a few other family members. Until I decided to use coatings I used mostly CG products and still like Jetseal but I have a full 16oz bottle that will never get used. The minimum I will do on a car is Essence/reload and most will be topped with Uber.

But what was said earlier that the prep is the most important thing I totally agree with. I will include a picture of my 20yo Buick that was done 100% with CG products and similar to me Audi which has Uber on pretty much the whole exterior my wagon is the same with Jetseal on pretty much everything on the exterior including the black rub rail around the sides.

Likes Migue, ViperGuy21 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have 5-6 cc`s left of the 15 and did my fullsize doublecab 4X4 with 2 coats on all the paint, windows and grill. I have the pbl wheel coating on my wheels. I used the Carpro applicator and the suede. I actually bought the 40X40 suede towels and cut one to wrap the applicator and used the rest to wipe high spots. I had never used them but loved the fact that I had no worries about lint.
    Likes ViperGuy21 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient_1 View Post
    I would say that would be possible 5~6cc`s per car. To me the most important factors would be lighting and vision to see the product being laid down. Because of age and diabetes my vision has gotten pretty bad the last couple years. 5 years ago I could read magazines and news papers easily and 7 or 8 years ago my vision was 20/15 (which was really good for my age I will be 65 in just over a month) but last summer I barely passed my eye test to get my DL renewed. Even if I had moved my lighting to optimum for each panel I guess I would of used half of what I did or less but I wasn`t concerned with the amount of product I was using and did 2 coats just to make sure I got complete coverage. So don`t think the amount I used is typical also don`t think on your 1st try you will do a whole car with 3cc`s either. A lot of people say that the carpro applicator with suede is a better way, for me when I tried it I used more product than with the LC applicator.

I do not have the experience of most of the people here so I am not an expert and just do my cars and a few other family members. Until I decided to use coatings I used mostly CG products and still like Jetseal but I have a full 16oz bottle that will never get used. The minimum I will do on a car is Essence/reload and most will be topped with Uber.

But what was said earlier that the prep is the most important thing I totally agree with. I will include a picture of my 20yo Buick that was done 100% with CG products and similar to me Audi which has Uber on pretty much the whole exterior my wagon is the same with Jetseal on pretty much everything on the exterior including the black rub rail around the sides.

That sounds good, thanks for that. Sorry to hear about the diabetes, my grandma and cousin both have it. Car looks good!

Post Thanks / Like

Went with the PBL kit. Can`t wait to use it in a few weeks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information