Post Thanks / Like

Matte clear paint advice

My buddy got his hood and trunk and roof painted with what he says they call Matte Clear (said it was single stage)

Pics he sent me...

He has been asking me to work on his car for over a year and I`m finally ready to take that job sometime this summer.

A few questions.... so I will know and so I can tell him how to take care of it in the meantime

Anyone familiar with this paint?

He said single stage so that means no clear right? I don`t know much about painting.

Do I treat it just like matte paint?

Car Pro Dlux for coating?

Do I need to wait 30 days after he gets it back before I coat it? When my car was repainted Body Shop said to wait 30 to 60 days for it to fully cure if I wanted the best shine. But what about single stage?

Anything else I should know?

Matte is uncharted territory for me.

Thanks

-Brandt K.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Matte clear paint advice

I always tell people ask the painter how long to wait. As far as coatings, I`ve used Gyeon and Kamakaze on matte finishes with no change in appearance.
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    I always tell people ask the painter how long to wait. As far as coatings, I`ve used Gyeon and Kamakaze on matte finishes with no change in appearance.
    I am calling the painter tomorrow actually.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

If he said "Matte Clear", then it is most likely the same as clear but with no gloss, which means it couldn`t be single stage because a base coat(color) would have been laid down before the clear. UNLESS they sprayed the matte clear over newly purchased non painted parts that just have the black (E)coat on them. Another scenario would be that they used matte paint and that`s it(?) hence the single stage mention .

Xtremekustomz / Rasky / Dan might know more about this (from body shop experience) and confirm/deny - chime in, but that`s what i`m thinking off the top of my head.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    If he said "Matte Clear", then it is most likely the same as clear but with no gloss, which means it couldn`t be single stage because a base coat(color) would have been laid down before the clear. UNLESS they sprayed the matte clear over newly purchased non painted parts that just have the black (E)coat on them. Another scenario would be that they used matte paint and that`s it(?) hence the single stage mention .

Xtremekustomz / Rasky / Dan might know more about this (from body shop experience) and confirm/deny - chime in, but that`s what i`m thinking off the top of my head.
    With the limited knowlegr i have on actual painting...matte clear as a single stage paint seemed like an oxymoron

Brandt K.
    Likes Migue liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It is. There is single stage flat ie. sems hot rod black, John deere blitz black where the paint is mixed with a flattening agent. Then you have base/clear where the clear has a flattening agent mixed in.

As far as care follow the paint shops recommended time before protecting. Do not wash with anything advertised with gloss enhancing. No buffing, it won`t gloss the panel but it will alter the look.

I have seen coatings utilized with minimal affect. I would use a coating for paint like UK or Standard Cquartz.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoTaurus View Post
    It is. There is single stage flat ie. sems hot rod black, John deere blitz black where the paint is mixed with a flattening agent. Then you have base/clear where the clear has a flattening agent mixed in.

As far as care follow the paint shops recommended time before protecting. Do not wash with anything advertised with gloss enhancing. No buffing, it won`t gloss the panel but it will alter the look.

I have seen coatings utilized with minimal affect. I would use a coating for paint like UK or Standard Cquartz.

Coating choices on hand are PBL

Dlux purchased for my SRT trim when i get around to it And my hellcat replica wheels.

I`m game to buy another coating IF i need to, as this job will easily be the nicest car I`ve ever worked on but i see nothing wrong with PBL...
    Prev pic of his car....(10.2 second challenger on the welds/slicks at track btw)

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Pbl will be fine, he just needs to be aware it will gloss a little. Do a test spot in an unseen area so he knows what he I`d getting. If it is a "suede" look he is after then it will be fine. If he wants true flat he may not like it.

I almost bought a Challenger. But I need trunk space for traveling. I love the looks of them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoTaurus View Post

I almost bought a Challenger. But I need trunk space for traveling. I love the looks of them

You must need a hell of a lot of space..those trunks are huge!

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

So i know this is an older thread but what was outcome of the flat paint and what was used

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    So i know this is an older thread but what was outcome of the flat paint and what was used
    I`m still playing it safe and allowing it to degass a little longer. I am not sure if thst is necessary but im doing it.

His car will be in my garage in a few weeks.

I still honestly have not determined what to do with it.

I`m almost afraid of it.

I got him some spray and wipe and he uses that now but I`m leaning towards some type of spray sealant product just not sure which one

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

If you`re concerned about LSPing it too soon just use something that`s fresh paint-friendly (e.g., OCW) for a while.

If you inquire of the painter, make sure he`s quoting the Paint Manufacturer`s Product Info as opposed to "what he`s always known"

Thread Information