Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Wax/Sealent for long(er) term protection - Recommendations for two cars

Hi All,
    I was hoping for some recommendations for protecting two different cars:
    2013 BMW 335i - Black "sapphire" metallic: This car is my daily driver and sits outside all of the time (no garage). I have been using a variety of products but none seem to really protect the paint well from bird droppings. Is there anything that works well against this sort of fallout?

2016 Volvo XC90 - "Ice" white (metallic): Wifes daily driver which also sits outside all of the time. This is a brand new car and has whatever the dealer put on it. I plan on washing, claying, Light polish, & some sort of topcoat.

On the BMW i have tried a few different waxes/sealents to try and keep the shine. overall i think most of them perform OK, but none seem to give the protection im looking for. Also, I`m not sure how indicative of protection life, but most don`t seem to bead water nicely for more than a month or so.
    HD Speed: a one step type polish; i put this on last week and had a bird dropping on it 1 wk later; paint was majorly etched (didnt see the dropping for ~6 hrs)
    HD Poxy: gives a good shine but doesn`t seem to last. Also, does not hold up to birds. Doesn`t seem to bead water much longer than 1 mo
    FK1000P: seems to last a bit longer but again, similar results to the HD poxy. Doesn`t seem to bead water much longer than 1 mo
    Blackfire Wet Diamond (BWD): Similar to others. Doesn`t seem to bead water much longer than 1 mo

For the volvo, I will probably use whatever i get for the BMW, so no special issues there. Plus its white so it doesnt show up as readily.

Am I unrealistic in my expectations of the products? Would a coating perform better for longer term paint protection? I can wax the cars more frequently, but its difficult to set the time aside. I would like to limit it to 3-4 times/yr.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wax/Sealent for long(er) term protection - Recommendations for two cars

anhizer- Interesting that the FK doesn`t perform better for you..your results are completely different from mine but there are always *so* many variables.

The only thing that`s rivaled FK1000P for me was heavily layered KSG. While that`d look fine on the white, it`d sure be a PIA to do.

Some people find Collinite 476S lasts as long/longer than the FK. While it didn`t work that way for me, maybe it would for you.

But I suspect that a coating might come a lot closer to meeting your expectations.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Are you claying prior to protecting the paint?
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Ronkh, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

My choices would be FK1kp and Collinite 845. Topping with a quick spray wax after each wash may help you with durability also.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m with Guz, are the surfaces being properly prepped before sealing? I had BFWD sealant on my car last summer and it was still beading 6 months later when I prepped my car for winter. And I used HD Speed on my wifes SUV not too long ago and wasn`t impressed with the protection that it left behind either.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you?

Location/environment may have a ton do with lsp durability lacking.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Are you claying prior to protecting the paint?
    Ya know...much as I like/use/recommend clay, I`ve *NEVER* seen any evidence at all that claying makes any of my LSPs last longer. I know that`s more of my Autopian Heresy, but that`s been my experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, thanks for all the quick replies. Prior to application i typically do a two bucket wash (with a foam cannon rinse prior) and have been decontaminating using a mild nanoskin mitt + optimum no-rinse. If I include a polish step, i have either used the HD speed OR 3m Perfect-it II(? I think its II, whatever the finish polish is).

Im in California (San Jose) and the car is in direct sunlight all day during the summer.

Is there anything that protects well from bird poop? I don`t mind having re-apply every two months (though its not ideal), but I really don`t like having to polish out etching all the time (or living with the etching).

Sounds like i should start looking into sealents, though im not super excited about that idea for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Based on your feedback on the previous products used I would step up to a coating.

I like GTechniq`s products personally.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anhizer View Post
    ..Is there anything that protects well from bird poop?
    The FK1000P resists etching so well that I don`t even bother cleaning off the bugs and bird-bombs very often. But that`s just how it works for me and YMMV (and all bird-bombs aren`t the same either..some day one will etch my paint but good if my luck runs out).
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Detail Impressions Detail Impressions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

here my thinking
    Duragloss TPP (Total Performance Polish) add a little 601 bonding and your golden!

Step Saver Tip - Blend 4 parts #105 to 1 part 601, Polish Bonding Agent for added durability and gloss. Accelerates the curing process for instant bonding. Apply within 2 hours after mixing for maximum results.

Post Thanks / Like

Really surprised to here your not getting bird bomb protection and durability from the FK1000p. Perhaps it`s the Montan Wax in the HD Speed that is interfering with the bonding.

After polishing with HD Polish last June I applied a thin coat of FK1000, then 48 hours later a second thin coat. In prep for winter I added another thin coat of the 1000--it`s still beading and sheeting water like crazy and self cleaning almost as good as the day the 1000 was applied. In the winter during one of our trips the car sat at the airport for two weeks out in the open in long term (cheap) parking--upon return the car had a number of bird bombs that clearly had been on there a while and the car was coated in jet fuel exhaust. Car cleaned up in a snap--no etching, no problem getting the coating off. I continue to be amazed by FK1000p--just wish they made it in a liquid.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson
    Likes Stokdgs, nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JVD View Post
    Based on your feedback on the previous products used I would step up to a coating.
    This might be the next "best" option.

Quote Originally Posted by pwaug View Post
    Really surprised to here your not getting bird bomb protection and durability from the FK1000p. Perhaps it`s the Montan Wax in the HD Speed that is interfering with the bonding.

After polishing with HD Polish last June I applied a thin coat of FK1000, then 48 hours later a second thin coat. In prep for winter I added another thin coat of the 1000--it`s still beading and sheeting water like crazy and self cleaning almost as good as the day the 1000 was applied. In the winter during one of our trips the car sat at the airport for two weeks out in the open in long term (cheap) parking--upon return the car had a number of bird bombs that clearly had been on there a while and the car was coated in jet fuel exhaust. Car cleaned up in a snap--no etching, no problem getting the coating off. I continue to be amazed by FK1000p--just wish they made it in a liquid.
    Good point. Perhaps HD Speed is causing the topper to not bond. Might try an area of the car with a dedicated polish followed by one of protectants you have as stated.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Stokdgs, Mary B liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Detail Impressions View Post
    here my thinking
    Duragloss TPP (Total Performance Polish) add a little 601 bonding and your golden!

Step Saver Tip - Blend 4 parts #105 to 1 part 601, Polish Bonding Agent for added durability and gloss. Accelerates the curing process for instant bonding. Apply within 2 hours after mixing for maximum results.
    This so reminds me of how I had to custom mix Zaino Z2 or 5 with their ZFX to speed up the curing in the very moist Pacific Northwest.. Had to get the 3 coats on in 24 hrs you know.. Thin Coats!!!

Thanks for this !
    DanF
    Likes The Guz, 512detail, Lansing liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    This so reminds me of how I had to custom mix Zaino Z2 or 5 with their ZFX to speed up the curing in the very moist Pacific Northwest.. Had to get the 3 coats on in 24 hrs you know.. Thin Coats!!!

Thanks for this !
    DanF
    Are you saying DG sounds a lot like Z ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Stokdgs, 512detail liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information