Post Thanks / Like

Ideal conditions for opt-coat application outside?

I`m considering applying opti-coat to my car. I can`t find a garage to apply it so it will be done outside. Can someone who is familiar with the product tell me what the ideal conditions for outside application is? I read it should be done in the shade out of direct sunlight. Is it easier to see it flash in the shade or is it better to wait for overcast cloudy conditions instead of doing it in full shade? Also, now that it is warming up I expect the temperature to be around mid 60s-70 for the next month or so. Summer gets to around 80+ degrees.

Last questions:

1. How long do you think it would take to do a full sedan? I`m going to need to wash and clay it beforehand so I`m thinking that should take a few hours.
    2. 3 hour dry time enough to drive it back home (about 30 minutes drive)?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ideal conditions for opt-coat application outside?

Are you going to polish too? There may be some marring after claying. Coatings have no filling capability and imho they magnify any blemishes on your paint. You can drive it right after application, just keep it away from water.
    Likes Stokdgs, Detail Impressions liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

There are no ideal conditions for applying a coating outside because you cannot control what may fall from the sky onto your work..
    The temps from say 60 on up are going to be better for this and will help it dry and then cure the next few days if its out in the sun, will happen sooner..
    And of course, you cannot get it wet after coating for several hours...

Are you going to wipe it down with something to get any remaining light oils (even the oils from your skin ), off the paint before you start ? What were you thinking of using ?

Be sure you have great light so you can see where its coated and where its not, and then be able to see if there are any high spots, where there is too much coating and go over then carefully to level them off..

if you can find a good day, preferably no wind, and have it ready to go because you cleaned and corrected the vehicle the day before, you should be ok a long as things are not being attracted to the work or are falling onto it...

If you were here in California, I would help you do this in my garage...
    Dan F
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it`s been polished already and has a sealant on it. Obviously, not the most ideal conditions to be putting the OC after some time as has passed since it was polished. I`ll be claying it beforehand and using IPA before starting. As far as things falling into it, how much time after applying it are we talking about? I could drive the car to a public parking garaged and let it park for a few hours but wasn`t sure if even driving it would not be recommended.

Thread Information