Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: LSP Winter Faceoff

LSP Faceoff – Second Update

So it’s now been 1.5 months after the majority of the LSP’s were applied save for Collinite 845 that I applied on the roof 9.5 months ago and WG Uber Coating I reviewed on the hood 2.5 months ago. All of the LSP are still holding up extremely well considering the conditions the vehicle has been exposed to.

Over the past two weeks, all of the various LSP’s got seriously dirty. My Jeep hasn’t been washed since the last update about two weeks ago because I want to gauge how these products will last your average biannual “waxer”.

How did the various LSP’s hold up to all this? Spectacularly, aside from some minor differences…

LSP break down:
    DFF – KAIO topped with 2 layers of KSG <- Applied 1.5 months ago
    DRD – 2 layers of KSG <- Applied 1.5 months ago
    DRF – 2 layers of DG601 & DG105 at a 1:4 Ratio <- Applied 1.5 months ago
    PFF – 2 layers of FK-1000p <- Applied 1.5 months ago
    PRD – 2 layers of FK-1000p <-Applied 1.5 months ago
    PRF – 2 layers of Collinite 476s <- Applied 1.5 months ago
    Hood – 1 layer of WG Uber <- Applied 2.5 months ago
    Roof – 1 layer of Collinite 845 <- Applied 9.5 months ago

Key/Legend:
    DFF = Drivers Front Fender
    DRD = Drivers Rear Door
    DRF = Drivers Rear Fender
    PFF = Passenger Front Fender
    PRD = Passenger Rear Door
    PRF = Passenger Rear Fender

Wash:
    I did a simple 4 bucket wash with Megs Hyper wash (1oz in 3gal and 1/2oz in 2gal of water) and a CarPro Merino wool wash mitt, as well as an assortment of brushes for the wheels. I hand dried with TMC WW towels and I didn’t use any topers or drying aids.

Wash media (pun intended)

Before:

After:

Post Thanks / Like

DFF – KAIO topped with 2 layers of KSG applied 1.5 months ago

This panel is defiantly in my top three; it stayed clean for many drives dispute terrible weather. Eventually the panel became caked with road grime after about 10 days of daily driving. Despite the amount of soil there’s still beading in some areas (while dirty).

One week after last wash:

Two weeks after last wash:

After a nice long 2 bucket wash the panel was looking as good as new again. I didn’t notice any marring or scratches on the panel from my wash processes to remove the winter grime. After a quick dry the panel has that classic Klasse gloss.

Below you’ll find two videos, one was taken while rinsing the dirt off the panel and another video was taken to demonstrate the current state of beading and sheeting on the clean panel using the “mist” setting.

Post Thanks / Like

DRD – 2 layers of KSG applied 1.5 months ago

This panel didn’t fare as well as the others (when dirty) and it didn’t stay clean for many drives in terrible weather. The panel became caked with road grime during the first week after the last wash. The door no longer beads at all when dirty but when clean this panel still beads very well.

After a nice long 2 bucket wash the panel was looking as good as new again. I didn’t notice any marring or scratches on the panel from my wash processes to remove the winter grime.

Below you’ll find two videos, one was taken while rinsing the dirt off the panel and another video was taken to demonstrate the current state of beading and sheeting on the clean panel using the “mist” setting.

Post Thanks / Like

DRF – 2 layers of DG601 & DG105 at a 1:4 ratio applied 1.5 months ago

This panel still continues perform consistently. It stayed clean for many drives in terrible weather. Despite the amount of soil there’s still good beading in most areas after two weeks.

After a nice long 2 bucket wash the panel was looking as good as new again (slick and smooth). I didn’t notice any marring or scratches on the panel from my wash processes to remove the winter grime.

Post Thanks / Like

PFF – 2 layers of FK-1000p applied 1.5 months ago

This panel continues performed very well, even compared to another panel with FK-1000p (location, location, location). It looked good on every drive even in terrible weather. The lower section of the panel became caked with road grime fairly quickly this time around (more snow than last time). The beading and sheeting exhibited by this panel is still excellent.

After a nice long 2 bucket wash the panel was looking great. I didn’t notice any marring or scratches on the panel from my wash processes to remove the winter grime.

Post Thanks / Like

PRD – 2 layers of FK-1000p applied 1.5 months ago

This panel was a top performer but didn’t fare quite as well as the other FK-1000p panel (location, location, location). It stayed clean most of the time. The door gets a lot of road spray from the wheels so the entire panel became caked with road grime midway through the second week. The beading and sheeting exhibited by this panel is still good.

After a nice long 2 bucket wash the panel was looking great. I didn’t notice any marring or scratches on the panel from my wash processes to remove the winter grime.

Post Thanks / Like

PRF – 2 layers of Collinite 476s applied 1.5 months ago

This panel is currently my favorite. I didn’t think it could get much better than 845 boy was I wrong. This panel stayed cleaner longer partially because it gets a little less spray from the wheel. The beading and sheeting exhibited by this panel is still fabulous.

Post Thanks / Like

Hood – 1 layer of WG Uber applied 2.5 months ago

This panel is a mixed bag and performs above average. It stays clean for only a short while but rinses clean with water easily. This panel gets a little less spray because of the way the air flows over the hood but the leading edge gets hammered. Snow and mud tends to get flung onto the hood when letting the SRT8 rip in the snow. Road grime only accumulated on the leading edge. The beading and sheeting exhibited by this panel never tapers off.

After a nice long 2 bucket wash the panel was looking flawless. I didn’t notice any marring or scratches on the panel from my wash processes to remove the winter grime.

Post Thanks / Like

Roof – 1 layer of Collinite 845 applied 9 months ago

This panel is in a league of it’s own in terms of durability. This was the LSP that started this whole winter durability test idea in the first place after lasting around a year on my wheels. Collinite 845 stays clean for about three weeks at a time regardless of weather. This panel gets almost no spray because of the way the air flows over the roof. I’ve never seen road grime accumulate on the roof regardless of LSP. The beading and sheeting tapers off in-between washes but comes back strong once washed.

After a nice long 2 bucket wash the roof was looking ok. I did notice some marring, scratches, and dents on the roof from the tree branches that fell. I’ve also never bother to compound and polish the roof as it’s hardly seen (debating doing it this spring).

Below you’ll find a video I took to show how well the roof is beading even when it’s unwashed for two weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Summery...

The good:
    They all still look great but there`s 3 LSP leading the pack... My top 3 picks are 476s, FK1000P, and Uber. Oddly I like them each for different characteristics they posess.

• The 476s has the best beading
    • The FK1000P has the best self-cleaning
    • Uber is the most resistant to contamination

Note: KAIO + KSG should have been in the top three if we exclude Uber (but that`s also not fair to the Durragloss)

The rest:
    • 845 has proved itself to be the Veteran everyone said it was
    • Durragloss I don`t know what to make of it, it looks good and its a solid performer with no change from week to week but it also doesn`t wow me in any departments
    • KAIO + KSG is the dependable duo that always provide that classic Klasse look
    • KSG alone is a new thing for me because I always put KSG over KAIO so far I`m not seeing any significant benefit

The bad:
    The amount of time to write these post and haveing to deal with the web server banning my IP without cause was a bit of a downer (first world problems).

The ugly:
    I don`t think there will be one product that outlasts the rest I think LSPs will just slowly taper off at some point.

Prediction:
    I have a hunch the products will fail in the following order (from soonest to latest): KSG -> 845 -> KAIO+KSG -> DG601+DG105 (might tie with Klasse) -> FK1000P and 476s (tied for most durable waxes/sealants) -> Uber will last the longest but it`s a coating so that`s a given.

What would I use based on the current results? Uber coating topped with 476s or FK1000P, hands down (assuming they play nicely together)
    Likes trashmanssd, davidc, Bunky, lloydrm liked this post
    Thanks trashmanssd, davidc, Bunky thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

4u2nvinmtl- Thanks for the update (sheesh, that must`ve been a job-o`-work all right!)

I have the same experience with the roof of the Tahoe, it simply never gets bad. I`m going over a year between applications of FK1000P on that panel with no problems at all.

I too will be interested to hear how they die off...I know how it`d go *for me* but let`s see what your experience is.

Especially interested to see how things go with the KSG since you only did two layers.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report!

Al
    The Need to Bead

Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for this ongoing review!
    It`s a fun read.
    Thanks 4u2nvinmtl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for document this. Enjoying it.

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of the best reviews I have ever read. Thanks for all the hard work. It`s a great read.
    Yeah we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun - John Lennon
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information