Post Thanks / Like

Spot application of paint coating?

I just applied Duragloss Enviroshield last week to my FRS and I happened to have some minor dings that were repaired via PDR today (I know, it should have been done first). One of the locations I will have to polish some minor imperfections from the paint, can I reapply the coating to this location after polishing it and prepping it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spot application of paint coating?

sort of off topic from your question, but i have another thought. after listening to larry@ammonyc podcast. apparently some of these "glass" coatings are so hard and not flexible, "doesnt let the paint breathe".

does this mean if he got the PDR done with the coating on it, the coating would crack? or show signs of a split? anyone had any experience with getting a coating done and had a dent before?

Post Thanks / Like

I would do the entire panel, you will from my experience have a noticeable spot. As far as having PDR done with a coating , no problem. I have not been able to find any info that modern clears need to breath once cured?
    Likes donbeezy, Paul@Autopia liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donbeezy View Post
    sort of off topic from your question, but i have another thought. after listening to larry@ammonyc podcast. apparently some of these "glass" coatings are so hard and not flexible, "doesnt let the paint breathe".

does this mean if he got the PDR done with the coating on it, the coating would crack? or show signs of a split? anyone had any experience with getting a coating done and had a dent before?
    That is also a great question I would like to know also. Obviously, as you mentioned, it would be product dependent. I haven`t seen at the moment any signs of failure yet but the dings were very shallow to the point you couldn`t feel them.
    Likes donbeezy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    I would do the entire panel, you will from my experience have a noticeable spot. As far as having PDR done with a coating , no problem. I have not been able to find any info that modern clears need to breath once cured?
    Thank you for the response, I will recoat the entire panel then.

Post Thanks / Like

excuse me, i quoted it wrong. the way they explained it was "glass coating doesnt expand and contract to the rate of the paint". the way i view that is once you have a dent on a vehicle that is "glass coated", the glass coat would shatter?

Post Thanks / Like

So if we go with that, we should assume a car in the sun would shatter or crack the coating? As the paint and metal would expand at a different rate. Not picking at you at all, just trying to figure out that reasoning that PDR would shatter a coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donbeezy View Post
    excuse me, i quoted it wrong. the way they explained it was "glass coating doesnt expand and contract to the rate of the paint". the way i view that is once you have a dent on a vehicle that is "glass coated", the glass coat would shatter?
    I believe the comment in the podcast was more theoretical and directed towards the marketing of super hard coatings and displaying cubes of cured product. I don`t think I`ve seen a single instance of any such thing happening to date and there are thousands of vehicles running around with various coatings on flexible plastic panels.

Post Thanks / Like

So if we go with that, we should assume a car in the sun would shatter or crack the coating? As the paint and metal would expand at a different rate. Not picking at you at all, just trying to figure out that reasoning that PDR would shatter a coating.
    Im trying to find out the same reason. The way he explained coating really didnt click with me. Every coating im seeing on the market has no negative impact on the paint. Unless they seen something else at SEMA that is not available yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I believe the comment in the podcast was more theoretical and directed towards the marketing of super hard coatings and displaying cubes of cured product. I don`t think I`ve seen a single instance of any such thing happening to date and there are thousands of vehicles running around with various coatings on flexible plastic panels.
    im curious to which super hard coating was displayed to make them think of coatings in general so negatively

Thread Information