Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone applied a coating on top of a clear bra?

Just bought a new Alfa Romeo 4C in Rossa Red and I`m going to have the front end wrapped in clear bra. The car will be used on the track occasionally and I`m wondering if I could prolong the life of the clear bra by applying a coating on top. Has anyone done this?

TIA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has anyone applied a coating on top of a clear bra?

I`ve got it on top of Expel Ultimate

Does fine.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes DAC17 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

From my understanding, Opti-Coat is the only coating endorced by Expel to be applied over their films.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

I`d thought people usually applied the film over the coating, no?

Post Thanks / Like

Jrock is correct, you don`t want to add a solid brittle surface over a flexible rubberized surface. Coating first, then bra. Also keep in mind if you go with xpel ultimate you will impede the self healing properties since the coating will show swirls.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I read the new Wolfgang coating is okay over protective film. Gonna have to go find the thread I saw it in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    I`d thought people usually applied the film over the coating, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Jrock is correct, you don`t want to add a solid brittle surface over a flexible rubberized surface. Coating first, then bra. Also keep in mind if you go with xpel ultimate you will impede the self healing properties since the coating will show swirls.
    NO!! Coatings will prevent the clear bra from adhering properly to the paint.

- Oatrick
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on a beautiful Red Alfa Romeo !!!

I think I have had 5 Clear Bra`s installed on 5 of my vehicles over the past decade...

You will want to have the paint polished to perfection before they do the work.

They will wipe down the area/s with something to remove all wax, etc., so the ClearBra will adhere nicely..

Are they putting on a ClearBra cut from a pattern or are they going to freehand it from big sheets?
    If they are going to free hand it, you need to tell them they absolutely can not cut it with a razor blade against the paint or trim of your vehicle..
    No matter how good they are or say they are, if they slip a little bit, they can cut your paintwork or leave a cut on your trim and that will never go away..
    Regardless, before you pay for it, you will want to totally look at every square inch of it after its dry and has no water dripping out of it anywhere to hinder you being able to see every edge clearly..

I would not recommend coating be applied onto the paint before you put the ClearBra on.. Besides, arent you putting the ClearBra on there to protect the paint already??

You can apply anything to the top of the ClearBra but because it is plastic, it is not really going to stick very long..

All the Clear Bra cars I have Detailed had lots of light damage from the Brown Bear Car Wash, etc., and after a number of years, you cannot get all the damage to look better by carefully buffing it out with a Rotary, but you certainly make it look better to a degree, depending on how damaged it is..

You have to be very careful because its plastic and plastic does NOT dissipate heat well at all..

Yes, you can put anything on the ClearBra and it should not hurt it, I liked to use something like Sonax Net Shield on my Client`s vehicles, after I carefully polished it up..

I have never had anyone come back and say I hurt their ClearBra by doing what I have just posted here...

My ClearBra installed on my `09 Black Grand Cherokee in 2009 still looks good and yes, I did put Opti-Guard on it with the rest of the vehicle 5 years ago...

But, since it is VentureShield, and plastic, I am sure the Opti-Guard is not there today like it still is on the rest of the paintwork..

It does show some light scratches from the few times I had to get a car wash while on the road between the Pacific Northwest, California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas and back dozens of times..

The paint underneath the entire front end of this vehicle and halfway up the hood and front fenders, back of the mirrors, is perfect and I have no rock dings or damage because of the ClearBra, so I am happy about that..

Good Luck !
    Dan F
    Likes Dogfather, DAC17, Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have applied Cquartz Finest and other brand coatings over and under various brands of PPF with no ill results.
    Self healing Expel Ultimate has worked just fine with Finest over it.
    We`ve had zero issues with PPF sticking to coatings
    Robert DiTerlizzi
    Impressions fine automotive detailing
    7782 SW Jack James Dr
    Stuart, Fl. 34997
    772-260-6636
    Making Martin County shine - one car at a time
    Likes Ronkh, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I applied EXO V1 and V2 plus Gyeon Can Coat over Xpel, Venture shield and 3M scotchguard PPF.

No issue and no drop in durability.

FWIW, I had my car professionally polished and PPF applied and then I applied the coating.

I do not have the self healing film as it was not available when I did my car.
    Likes Ronkh, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the feedback. I do plan to polish the 4C before the clear bra installation. Speaking of which..... do i need to take a different approach since the body panels are not metal like a normal car???? I have both a rupes and porter cable, chemical guys and Menzerna polishes, etc... I will wash and clay before polishing.

My clear bra installer said to NOT put anything on the car prior to installation. So, I`m going to follow his advice. It seems there are mixed opinions on whether or not putting a coating on top of the bra has any advantages. I believe I`m going to install Xpel Ultimate or Suntek film.

Any additional feedback on how to best polish the car ( I here the paint is super soft) or on whether or not a coating would be worth it is greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Americoat over a ppf with no issues yet.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ETIKTRD View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. I do plan to polish the 4C before the clear bra installation. Speaking of which..... do i need to take a different approach since the body panels are not metal like a normal car???? I have both a rupes and porter cable, chemical guys and Menzerna polishes, etc... I will wash and clay before polishing.

My clear bra installer said to NOT put anything on the car prior to installation. So, I`m going to follow his advice. It seems there are mixed opinions on whether or not putting a coating on top of the bra has any advantages. I believe I`m going to install Xpel Ultimate or Suntek film.

Any additional feedback on how to best polish the car ( I here the paint is super soft) or on whether or not a coating would be worth it is greatly appreciated!
    Coatings definitely help protect the film against things like bug gut etching, which many films seem prone to. I`ve not seen or heard of any issues with applying any of the coatings on top of PPF, only benefits of doing so.

Here is a 4C that I recently did with a full front wrap and then coated with CQuartz Finest.
    Likes Ronkh, JSFM35X, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Coatings definitely help protect the film against things like bug gut etching, which many films seem prone to. I`ve not seen or heard of any issues with applying any of the coatings on top of PPF, only benefits of doing so.

Here is a 4C that I recently did with a full front wrap and then coated with CQuartz Finest.
    Wow! The car looks fantastic! Did you polish it before hand? If so, would you mind sharing your process/technique and products? I`m going to tackle polishing mine today and tomorrow before the PPF is installed on Friday.

Post Thanks / Like

I know your kind of new here (4 posts) and with the car you have (amazing) and the question you asked, I just though I would say, unless you know what your doing let a pro polish it before the clear bra. I would hate to see you mess up your car. What Rasky used is only the tip of the iceberg. The hours he has behind the machine and the experience makes all the difference.

If you don`t know you can do a perfect job, don`t start. Trust me, I made a mess of a black Infiniti once upon a time and I am trying to save you aggravation.

Quote Originally Posted by ETIKTRD View Post
    Wow! The car looks fantastic! Did you polish it before hand? If so, would you mind sharing your process/technique and products? I`m going to tackle polishing mine today and tomorrow before the PPF is installed on Friday.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information