Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How does anyone coat a car with only 10cc of product?!?!?!?

Just like the title states.

How does anyone coat a car with only 10cc or less of product and think that ?!?!?!? Or even the 30ml of CQ or any other coating....

If you do the math there is almost no way for any of these coatings to create any kind of measurable thickness barrier; unless you use a lot ore product than supplied.

I bought a 10cc syringe of Opti-Gloss Coat simply to do the wheels on my GTI. The wheels are very simple and easy to detail so there wasn`t any wasted product from intricate details I had a hard time with. Just for the wheels and calipers I used the ENTIRE 10cc of product. I didn`t have any "high spot" issue I simply applied it as thick and uniform as possible. So based on this I have to step back and ask how anyone does all the paint and/or wheels on a care with 10cc or less of product. In my mind it just doesn`t make sense.

Example of my wheels.

Discuss.....

Likes Stokdgs, tropicsteve, GearHead_1, BLOWN03 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How does anyone coat a car with only 10cc of product?!?!?!?

I have not tried a coating yet but that is one the reasons I have not. So little product for so much money and how does that last that long being that thin. Must be Sorcery! I may try but its just so hard to pick which one to try also and they require a ton of prep time. Hydro2 is just so easy and last long enough.
    Thought about that new wolfgang one but WOW 15CC 100$ 30CC 150$ and what if I do it wrong.
    Likes Stokdgs, GearHead_1, XxBoostinxX liked this post
    Thanks GearHead_1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I can`t

I over buy it so I don`t run out.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Troy, Beautiful Wheels ! Great Job !

Great question -

Since I painted before and knew how to lay down thin coats of paint vs thick coats of primer, and I graduated with honors from the Zaino University - School of ThinEvenCoat, it has always been pretty easy to just put down thin, even coats of whatever I was using..

When coatings first came out, almost 10 years back, the mantra was to apply a thin coat, and look for high spots and even them out before it dried..
    There were even videos of people doing it in this manner..

No one ever decided it was now necessary to apply a thicker coat - until I believe more coatings came on the scene and the longevity was starting to be less than desired..

For starters, to get your product to go farther, you need to examine what you are applying it with, and use the media that will absorb hardly any if possible and release it all on the vehicle..
    And then, carefully decide how much to add in cc`s to the media each time you need more..

I dont remember anyone including myself that ever looked at the applicator afterwards and tried to somehow remove what was left and put it somehow back into the syringe...

It appears that we will always have our own built in thickness/thinness meter and do this consistently unless we want to try to change it...

Unless there is some sort of scientific thickness-of-a-liquid-measuring-tool that you can just point and shoot like an Infrared hand held thermometer, this will always be the challenge when working with just so much product..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing your "coating" is the owners wallet. I think the biggest joke is the money spent on products to re-coat surfaces that were already made with the best protective coating out there. My hygienist just paid 1400.00 dollars for a ceramic coating on her BMW. Can someone please tell me how to get on the receiving end of these transactions??? To boot, she asked me how to get the water spots off the coating. I told her bring it back to the guy who did it. I could use a couple a month. If I tell clients their cars should be done three times a year, they look at me like I`m nuts.
    Likes Swanicyouth, 65chevy, GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I could not do it. Needed 2 tubes but had left over.
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It`s all about application method and material.

Micro suede mini clothes give me excellent results and lay down a nice thin layer of product. I also use medical gauze and get good results with that. 10cc should be able to cover a Jetta sized 4 door with no problems.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"
    Likes mshu7 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paintxpert View Post
    The only thing your "coating" is the owners wallet. I think the biggest joke is the money spent on products to re-coat surfaces that were already made with the best protective coating out there. My hygienist just paid 1400.00 dollars for a ceramic coating on her BMW. Can someone please tell me how to get on the receiving end of these transactions??? To boot, she asked me how to get the water spots off the coating. I told her bring it back to the guy who did it. I could use a couple a month. If I tell clients their cars should be done three times a year, they look at me like I`m nuts.
    So you use a wax which is just an oil that sits or lays on paint with no bonding properties and will evaporate within weeks? Or perhaps a polymer sealant which will cross link and bond yet again give you a few months durability based on how it`s cared for?

Let`s say a customer comes in for a monthly wash and wax. They drop $125 to $150. In one year how much have they spent? $1,500 to $1,800. Suddenly a $1,400 coating, which if applied properly, needs little maintenance done other then washing.

We teach our clients how to maintain their coated cars and they love it. No more car washes and no more waxing, unless of course they so desire.

In the end, to each their own.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"
    Thanks Ronkh, Stokdgs, GearHead_1, grungy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

If the viscosity of the coating is thin enough it would be easier to do thin layers. If the coating is designed to chemical bond to the paints surface it will create a barrier that won`t wash away.

If you wax a car you can`t add a thick layer. No mater how much or thick you apply it only a very thin layer is actually touching the paint. The remainder just sits on top of itself. What you wipe away would be considered waste.

1200.00 for a profesional coating is cheep considering Opti-Coat pro plus is 200.00 and Most Modesta coatings run close to 300.00 These are 15cc for OCP+ and 30ml bottles for Modesta. For that price you have to wash clay do a decon wash. Primer polish the car and apply the coating. Then we provide a checkup wash after 30 days for free. As a shop owner I have overhead not to mention keeping 5 of each of these brands in stock at all times so were always ready to go.

Ron Harris

Concours Auto Salon

Authorized Modesta Paint Coatings Applier.
    Likes Ronkh, Stokdgs, RaysWay, XxBoostinxX, mshu7 and 3 others liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh, Stokdgs, GearHead_1, grungy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post

If you wax a car you can`t add a thick layer. No mater how much or thick you apply it only a very thin layer is actually touching the paint. The remainder just sits on top of itself. What you wipe away would be considered waste.
    The good old days, when we used to put on a "heavy coat of wax" for the winter............. Ahhhh yes.

Then sometime around late 90`s, someone said, "hey idiot, you may put it on heavy, but what ya wipe off? It`s wasted."
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Ron Harris, Stokdgs, GearHead_1, Jsmooth liked this post
    Thanks GearHead_1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the 80`s(when I was a teen) all our cars panels had white outlined in the cracks from the thick layers of wax I used to apply. Oh not to mention the 1/2 gallon of Armor All applied to the tires and vinyl tops!

Ron Harris

Concours Auto Salon

Authorized Modesta Paint Coatings Applier.
    Likes Ronkh, Stokdgs, GearHead_1, Jsmooth, BLOWN03 and 1 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Wolfsgang coating is supposed to coat 3 midsize cars with only 15 cc of product. If I get two cars out it I will be very happy.
    Likes Stokdgs, trashmanssd, GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing your "coating" is the owners wallet. I think the biggest joke is the money spent on products to re-coat surfaces that were already made with the best protective coating out there.

I will disagree with this statement. I don`t think clear coat on a car is the "best" coating available. It is very good but I belive there are better. Let`s be honest most vehicle mgfts try to balance some longer term durability with cost. So they are not really putting the absolute best product out there or your 20k would cost 25-30k.
    Likes BLOWN03 liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    The Wolfsgang coating is supposed to coat 3 midsize cars with only 15 cc of product. If I get two cars out it I will be very happy.

Based on my use of other coatings I would guess I could use 20-30cc of the coating to do all the paint on a car and have almost no high spots or extra product.

I am am coing to belive that a "thicker" coating will allow for better more "impenetrable" barrier.

I like the conversation so far.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Tell this to everyone out there driving around with bug damage all over the front of their cars or blemishes from tree sap, bird droppings etc... Some of which have been told that clear coated cars don`t need to be waxed or protected further. It`s a fact that glass coatings protect very well against damage like this.

You can compare cost of coatings to the cost of multiple applications of a wax or sealant. More importantly, compare the value of a car with paint blemishes and bug damage to a car that has been protected with a glass coating that prevents these issues.
    >>>> Follow PROTEKT on Facebook
    Likes Ronkh, Stokdgs, mshu7, GearHead_1, BLOWN03 and 1 others liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, GearHead_1 thanked for this post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information