Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do Coatings Have UV resistance?

I think the real world tests (cars with coatings) have proved they have enough UV protection to last at least 2 years
    I`ve coated many cars over the last couple of years and to this date have seen no failures (oxidation, clear coat failure) as of yet!
    I agree with silverfox, they would be pointless to some extent without UV blockers
    Robert DiTerlizzi
    Impressions fine automotive detailing
    7782 SW Jack James Dr
    Stuart, Fl. 34997
    772-260-6636
    Making Martin County shine - one car at a time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOC View Post
    I`ve used almost every popular coating out there. I put plenty coatings on headlights and NONE offer the UV protection of whatever the OEM coating is. All the coated headlight yellow way faster than the OEM. So I conclude the UV protection offered by coatings are marginal at best.
    This is pretty interesting. Which ones did you see last the longest?
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Likes Robert DiTerlizzi liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used almost every popular coating out there. I put plenty coatings on headlights and NONE offer the UV protection of whatever the OEM coating is. All the coated headlight yellow way faster than the OEM. So I conclude the UV protection offered by coatings are marginal at best.
    Well what if you just put a sealant on them? Would the sealant outlast the coating?

Post Thanks / Like

The OEM coatings are also sprayed on and likely 25-50 microns thick vs. 1-2microns with hand applied coatings, so I would expect them to have much less UV protection. From my understanding of headlight restoration you also have to fully remove the failing OEM coating before you apply a new coating, if you want it to last anyway.
    Likes Robert DiTerlizzi, Ronkh liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert DiTerlizzi View Post
    I think the real world tests (cars with coatings) have proved they have enough UV protection to last at least 2 years
    I`ve coated many cars over the last couple of years and to this date have seen no failures (oxidation, clear coat failure) as of yet!
    I agree with silverfox, they would be pointless to some extent without UV blockers
    I don`t think that a CC failure would really let us know if there are UV blockers, as there are far to many variables that could cause that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boxingfan30 View Post
    I don`t think that a CC failure would really let us know if there are UV blockers, as there are far to many variables that could cause that.
    good point
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert DiTerlizzi View Post
    I disagree, 2 years is a long time for coatings, but it is a short time for OEM clearcoat failure. When`s the last time a 2 year old vehicle had clearcoat failure? With the cars you mentioned above, it is likely that a spray wax would accomplish the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by XxBoostinxX View Post
    This is pretty interesting. Which ones did you see last the longest?
    Never really kept exact tabs, but whereas OEM headlamps can easily go 3-5 years before showing any signs of yellowing, the coatings I`ve applied all yellowed in less than 2 years—some as quick as 6 months. The one that seemed to last longest were ones that had multiple coats, which goes inline with what Rasky mentioned below.

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    The OEM coatings are also sprayed on and likely 25-50 microns thick vs. 1-2microns with hand applied coatings, so I would expect them to have much less UV protection. From my understanding of headlight restoration you also have to fully remove the failing OEM coating before you apply a new coating, if you want it to last anyway.
    I agree with you regarding the thickness. Additionally, the OEM robotically sprayed coating is cured in a oven.

Quote Originally Posted by boxingfan30 View Post
    True. I`m really surprise that manufactures of coatings don`t show us some kind of UV lab testing, but they show us plenty of scratch resistance and water beading demonstrations. A clear piece of glass coated on one half can easily be measured as to how much UV gets through, in the similar way a pair of sunglasses are tested for UV protection. The buzz word with detailing product is "UV protection", but NEVER does any manufacture back up the claims with any numbers. So it is plausible that product X that has 1% UV protection—"technically" —provides UV protection.
    Likes XxBoostinxX, boxingfan30, BLOWN03 liked this post
    Thanks boxingfan30 thanked for this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information