Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coatings vs. Standard LSP`S discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Based on my experiences with Four Star`s UPP, I`d sure get that coating on there before winter hits
    Haha, I`ll most likely have the coating on around november, so we`ll see what happens between then

Post Thanks / Like

For my own vehicles I currently prefer coatings. I simply don`t have the time I used to for regular cleaning, polishing, and waxing, so coatings are the ticket for me. When washed properly AND regularly, they will stay looking good for a long time and I feel they protect better against bugs and bird bombs. Now with that being said they are not for everyone and if not washed regularly things WILL start bonding to them and those contaminants will effect beading characteristics. Fortunately these can usually be cleaned up with a chemical decon, but I`ve also seen vehicles so neglected that I was unable to restore the beading even after chemical decon and claying...I`ve seen this with test panels as well. I`ve had several coated cars come back in past the 2yr mark that still looked very good, but I don`t think they looked as good as they day they were done. I think a lot of this depends on the environment they`re subject to, if the car is garaged, and I think the chemicals in a lot of the touch-less washes have some sort of effect on them too. Coatings may help resist marring a "little" than waxes/sealants, but by no means are they a replacement for proper and regular washing and they do still scratch/marr very easily.

I think it was Mike Phillips that said regular maintenance is best and I would agree. I regularly wax/polished car will likely look better than a car that was coated years ago. However, some people don`t have the time to do this, and some simply have no interest in doing it. There is no right or wrong answer, it`s simply what is best for you.

Just my $.02 without cramming products recommendations down your throat.
    Thanks House of Wax, Ronkh thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good post rasky

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Just my $.02 without cramming products recommendations down your throat.
    LOL!!!!

Not one person would have access to OCP, in this thread, who do you mean? This thread is about Coatings vs Standard LSPs. More power to all the guys who are willing to redo their cars often, who don`t mind bird poop etching into the clear. So which is better? I`ve yet to see a pro who instals any of the pro coatings and prefers to use a wax instead on their own rides.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Dekany View Post
    LOL!!!!

Not one person would have access to OCP, in this thread, who do you mean? This thread is about Coatings vs Standard LSPs. More power to all the guys who are willing to redo their cars often, who don`t mind bird poop etching into the clear. So which is better? I`ve yet to see a pro who instals any of the pro coatings and prefers to use a wax instead on their own rides.

What you said, and the reality differ………….. No Pro coating guy would admit in PUBLIC that he would use something other than the product he utilizes to pay his bills.

How about Thomas just for once let someone actually prefer to use something other than a product you use, without 22 pages of attacks and blatant product fanboy stuff. As for access to OCP + you assume too much as to who actually has it or not.

Mods…………..this post was succinct and pithy, no attacks were implied or written in this post. If Thomas keeps it going(100% certainty probably) have him ride some pine in the timeout dugout for a specified time as this thread has just become absurd.
    Likes RaskyR1, Ronkh, boxingfan30, Migue, Junebug liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh, boxingfan30 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

To be clear, I am no Optimum fanboy. I use CarPro, Optimum, Garry Dean, and Rag Co products the most. My affiliation is towards no company. My favorite wax, although most consider it oily, is Souveran. The look it gave my concours level restored 1952 Split was outstanding. But is was a garage queen. Never was rained on post restoration and only outside for car shows and the occasional drive. But this car never got the "normal driving" beat down. It now sits in Jerry Seinfeld`s residence.

I would not trust a wax/sealant to last an entire hard winter on a regularly driven car. The coating has proven itself through one of the worse winters in North Texas history and the crazy hot summer we are finally getting out of.
    "Courage is being afraid but saddling up anyways." - John Wayne
    Likes RaysWay, Ronkh, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=52split;2011174]
    I would not trust a wax/sealant to last an entire hard winter on a regularly driven car. [QUOTE]

I personaly have had DG 105 last through hard New Hampshire winters (Oct to May) on company cars driven 30-40,000 miles per year with only an occasional touch up with Aquawax. To top it off they were washed every week by a commercial touchless wash tunnel. Many others report great durability through winter with Collinite products and FK 1000p.
    Likes JSFM35X, boxingfan30, Stokdgs, Junebug liked this post
    Thanks boxingfan30 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Would you trust that same application for another year? I`m coming up to almost 1 1/2 years of Gloss Coat...and it`s looking great and there would be zero benefit to re-coat or use something else. Looks wise and beading wise. Now for those that just like to wax/seal quarterly or biannually...more power to you. Life is short. I like knowing the coating is keeping my ride every bit as protected and "shiny" as the day I applied it.

When I get the itch to work on my car I can always find something to do. Remove the wheels and clean up the wheel wells, clean the engine compartment, etc. As others have said. Not fair to say either one is better than the other because it`s all subjective. But for me and my house...Gloss Coat or Kamikaze ISM.
    "Courage is being afraid but saddling up anyways." - John Wayne
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m a fan boy of the products that work for me. I share my results so perhaps you can try or avoid certain products.

I would not push or bash any product for any other reason that my own experience with it.

So far with coating I have varying degrees of Like to love. The product needs to fit the intended use (or abuse)

The Optimum coating I have tried are the most durable- they were placed o my wife and other sons cars. They don`t give a hoot and think nothing of leaning on the car in jeans (can you delive it?).

My DD had EVO for almost 2 years and I loved it, when the time came I recoated with Viking coat. It looks great, lasts So, SO. More work to maintain

My son`s Jeep-EXO, after 4 months still going strong and it should be.

My Wifes SUV-when the OC 2.0 wore off I was asked to try the 22PLE. Got a sample and applied it. 4 months in and it still looks amazing and it should.

Currently that is the testing I am ruining, For myself and anyone else that wants to follow (or not) no big deal to me.

Looking for a coating to replace the Viking coat on my DD and something for my winter beater 2001 QX4.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by autoconcierge View Post
    What you said, and the reality differ………….. No Pro coating guy would admit in PUBLIC that he would use something other than the product he utilizes to pay his bills.

How about Thomas just for once let someone actually prefer to use something other than a product you use, without 22 pages of attacks and blatant product fanboy stuff. As for access to OCP + you assume too much as to who actually has it or not.

Mods…………..this post was succinct and pithy, no attacks were implied or written in this post. If Thomas keeps it going(100% certainty probably) have him ride some pine in the timeout dugout for a specified time as this thread has just become absurd.
    Robert, you do not need to click on this thread, why not just ignore it?

As far as who can get OC, each unit that is sold to you has an assigned code. So if anyone of the authorized installers order a kit and it isn`t registered with optimum, well, you know what will happen - unless of course the company provides it for you.

That is reality - as far as selling something that you do not believe in, but you have no problem selling it to your customers who come to you because they trust you? I could never do that, but if that is ok in your book, what does that say about the person?
    Likes mbpress01 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    I`m a fan boy of the products that work for me. I share my results so perhaps you can try or avoid certain products.

I would not push or bash any product for any other reason that my own experience with it.

So far with coating I have varying degrees of Like to love. The product needs to fit the intended use (or abuse)

The Optimum coating I have tried are the most durable- they were placed o my wife and other sons cars. They don`t give a hoot and think nothing of leaning on the car in jeans (can you delive it?).

My DD had EVO for almost 2 years and I loved it, when the time came I recoated with Viking coat. It looks great, lasts So, SO. More work to maintain

My son`s Jeep-EXO, after 4 months still going strong and it should be.

My Wifes SUV-when the OC 2.0 wore off I was asked to try the 22PLE. Got a sample and applied it. 4 months in and it still looks amazing and it should.

Currently that is the testing I am ruining, For myself and anyone else that wants to follow (or not) no big deal to me.

Looking for a coating to replace the Viking coat on my DD and something for my winter beater 2001 QX4.
    I`m getting something new in the mail soon - I`ll let you know
    Likes JSFM35X liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, you do not need to click on this thread, why not just ignore it?

As far as who can get OC, each unit that is sold to you has an assigned code. So if anyone of the authorized installers order a kit and it isn`t registered with optimum, well, you know what will happen - unless of course the company provides it for you.

That is reality - as far as selling something that you do not believe in, but you have no problem selling it to your customers who come to you because they trust you? I could never do that, but if that is ok in your book, what does that say about the person?

Again assumption, I did not say I have it and I don`t.
    Likes Junebug liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

When my sons Subaru was time to re-coated (Had 2.0), I begged Dr G to sell me the Opticoat Pro and I would just use it on my own car, Same with the leather guard and fabric. He told me he would not jeopardize the distributors and it was harder to apply than a DIY could handle. He said that he was sorry, I ended up buying Gloss Coat form Autopia. I hope the product you are getting is available to consumers.

Can you shoot a quick cell phone video of the OCP on your Subaru next time you wash it or it rains. I am curious to see the water behavior and beading compared to my Gloss coat.

You can either post here or email to me. PM me for my email if you prefer that route.

Thanks

I`m getting something new in the mail soon - I`ll let you know
    Likes Thomas Dekany liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by autoconcierge View Post
    Again assumption, I did not say I have it and I don`t.
    I never said you had it. Please read what I write. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52split View Post
    To be clear, I am no Optimum fanboy. I use CarPro, Optimum, Garry Dean, and Rag Co products the most. My affiliation is towards no company. My favorite wax, although most consider it oily, is Souveran. The look it gave my concours level restored 1952 Split was outstanding. But is was a garage queen. Never was rained on post restoration and only outside for car shows and the occasional drive. But this car never got the "normal driving" beat down. It now sits in Jerry Seinfeld`s residence.

I would not trust a wax/sealant to last an entire hard winter on a regularly driven car. The coating has proven itself through one of the worse winters in North Texas history and the crazy hot summer we are finally getting out of.
    I`ve had plenty of sealants/wax/hybrids last all winter in CT.

::::::::::: looking around, so I don`t get another time out :::::::
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes pwaug, Migue, Junebug liked this post

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread Information