Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coatings vs. Standard LSP`S discussion

All I can do shake my head reading some of the opinions.
    Likes JSFM35X, mbpress01, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the kind words!
    Likes JSFM35X, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly No. Not for me anyway. I like washing a nicely coated car. I enjoy the wash process. I don`t like the time consumed or the tediousness of polishing. I`m a perfectionist past normal for the real world and on par with most of you. So I know when I pull out the polisher it`s a production.

I will never use a wax again unless I get a garage queen that I decide to wax. On my dd the p21s 100% lasts 3 weeks. The iw845 got me through the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by boxingfan30 View Post
    Does anyone choose not to use coatings because it takes the fun out of trying new products?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    I think coatings may be good for the average consumer due to durability.

But I think cars are best kept via an ultra fine polishing once or twice a year. Yes coatings last longer, but you can`t clean up the paint every 6 mos with polishing without re-doing the coating.

Being this is Autopia, and we are picky about our cars - to me this is an important feature. To do *something* to the paint more frequently is always better than doing *nothing* to the paint less frequently.

Coatings to me are like a toilet you don`t have to flush - as long as your comfortable sitting atop a bunch of crap. They are the Formica of the detailing world. They wear well and require less maintenance - but you know granite counter tops are just nicer.

Clay and polish the car twice a year and it will always look great. Coat it and you are in for 2 years of not polishing. Prolly look good for 6 mos (daily driver) - after that it`s all down hill.

Don`t tell me coatings will protect you from marring - because there hasn`t been one iota of proof showing that. Obviously, they somehow promote water spots. Just read around. Inconsistent results and inconsistent longevity are the norm. It`s a crap shoot.

There is no magic coating that avoids this.

I dunno. If I was in the detailing business, I`d be selling coatings to the masses. But I`d discourage anyone with a special vehicle they really loved from getting a coating.
    Sorry, I clicked unlike by accident, excellent post though!

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is kind of a train wreck, but there is some good info.

I tried a coating on one my cars, it is a fairly new mostly good shape Toyota Prius. I read all the directions and did all the correct prep. Took several days of prep and I finally got it done. Went out to the garage the next morning. What? My car is still a Prius. From all the hype I was sure the coating would turn my car into a Tesla. Yep, coatings are totally overrated.

Ok, so the coating is actually doing good so far. We are in an extreme drought where I live and we are not supposed to wash cars. I put the coating on thinking that it might make it safer and easier to use a waterless wash. So far so good. I still get lots of dirt, but it does now come off easier.

I used gloss coat and I would use it again, looks good and works so far.
    Likes Thomas Dekany, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! There is so many incorrect info in this one post, it is kind of funny.

First I can definitely tell that you are not in the detailing business

Do you also recommend conventional oil over Synthetic?

You know, it would be better if you spoke from experience instead of pulling waste out of your back side.

In my case, Opti Coat Pro, on our "new car" that is 13 months old, looks as glossy as day 1, zero contamination, zero swirls (try that with wax on a subaru) - and you know what? It will remain in the same condition.

Your idea of detailing 2x a year, I would bet you $$$ that if you took pictures right after the initial detail and another after 5 months, you would see a big difference and the paint will also be far from smooth. With the coating I have on, after each wash it is like the car just came out of a detail.

This is just one reason why coatings are superior to traditional LSPs.

Coatings, in my opinion are for consumers, who want their vehicles look the best all the time, not just a few months out of the year. I have not ran into a client yet, who wasn`t blown away with the results OCP is providing. Very easy wash, quick drying, and a finish, that not only looks great, but stays clean a lot longer.

But you could be right, in fact, I may start researching for a horse carriage and list my cars on Craigslist - why the hell would I want to get to places in minutes instead of hours? You may have something there.

I think coatings may be good for the average consumer due to durability.

But I think cars are best kept via an ultra fine polishing once or twice a year. Yes coatings last longer, but you can`t clean up the paint every 6 mos with polishing without re-doing the coating.

Being this is Autopia, and we are picky about our cars - to me this is an important feature. To do *something* to the paint more frequently is always better than doing *nothing* to the paint less frequently.

Coatings to me are like a toilet you don`t have to flush - as long as your comfortable sitting atop a bunch of crap. They are the Formica of the detailing world. They wear well and require less maintenance - but you know granite counter tops are just nicer.

Clay and polish the car twice a year and it will always look great. Coat it and you are in for 2 years of not polishing. Prolly look good for 6 mos (daily driver) - after that it`s all down hill.

Don`t tell me coatings will protect you from marring - because there hasn`t been one iota of proof showing that. Obviously, they somehow promote water spots. Just read around. Inconsistent results and inconsistent longevity are the norm. It`s a crap shoot.

There is no magic coating that avoids this.

I dunno. If I was in the detailing business, I`d be selling coatings to the masses. But I`d discourage anyone with a special vehicle they really loved from getting a coating.
    Likes JSFM35X, RitcheyRch, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Why not? Don`t you want to learn?

I think I have posted the link not that long ago here or Autogeek, from Detailing World (the english autopia) - it was a black Aston Martin that was so soft that according to the detailer would mar even drying it. Somehow he managed to prep it ready for a coating and now you can actually wash the car without marring it.

So THERE IS PROOF. One may not want to hear or see it, but the truth is out there.

Post Thanks / Like

What is wrong with having a finish like this on this weekend car? The new owner hated that the car was full of swirls. Now he has a swirl free paint that looks very glossy, and it will stay that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Knowing what I know now about coatings from having used them, all I can say is that I will never wax again on a daily driver. On a garage queen most likely I would coat that as well but perhaps with a different product.

They look amazing to me and they are much less work to maintain that just polished, crystal clear finish look.
    Likes House of Wax, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks House of Wax thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    Knowing what I know now about coatings from having used them, all I can say is that I will never wax again on a daily driver. On a garage queen most likely I would coat that as well but perhaps with a different product.

They look amazing to me and they are much less work to maintain that just polished, crystal clear finish look.
    Yes, you keep reminding us, but we are talking about more than waxes, there`s a lot more on the market than just " a wax".

Post Thanks / Like

Everything has its place, the interesting part about coatings is that it really splits the car care community about what the use and what is "better". Neither are better, but with some coatings I think they do get mixed results. It also takes the control for lack of a better word away from being free to do what you want when you want. There`s no polishing if you want to try a new wax or sealant.

Another advertisement is that a coating saves your clear coat, and that may be true, but at some point you will need to polish again, so you`re going to cut into your clear at some point. If you get a big scratch, you`re going to have to polish. Coatings aren`t armor, they help yes...how much? Who really knows. As per Thomas, conversation with Dr. G..." Looks come third" on his list, which is fine if looks aren`t your optimal (no pun intended) objective.

Post Thanks / Like

Same for sealants like PNS, and Blackfire 2 of my older favorites. I have no desire to re apply these on 2-3 months or the waxes in 3 weeks. It takes too long to properly prep a car to do it more often than 18-24 months IMHO.

Yes, you keep reminding us, but we are talking about more than waxes, there`s a lot more on the market than just " a wax".
    Likes Stokdgs, Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If I knew how I would love to make a poll for this forum Wax, Sealants or Coatings on your Daily Driver.

Can someone do this?

Everything has its place, the interesting part about coatings is that it really splits the car care community about what the use and what is "better". Neither are better, but with some coatings I think they do get mixed results. It also takes the control for lack of a better word away from being free to do what you want when you want. There`s no polishing if you want to try a new wax or sealant.

Another advertisement is that a coating saves your clear coat, and that may be true, but at some point you will need to polish again, so you`re going to cut into your clear at some point. If you get a big scratch, you`re going to have to polish. Coatings aren`t armor, they help yes...how much? Who really knows. As per Thomas, conversation with Dr. G..." Looks come third" on his list, which is fine if looks aren`t your optimal (no pun intended) objective.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I looked back, but I don`t see how to do it, I can`t edit the first post.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish we could do a lineup of coated cars versus waxed/sealed cars. If both were done "properly" you wouldn`t tell a difference in terms of gloss, shine, etc.

Now if one is doing "proper" wash techniques on both coated and waxed/sealed cars would the waxed/sealed ones provide that look and protection for 2 years in hot and cold climates? That is the burning question.
    "Courage is being afraid but saddling up anyways." - John Wayne
    Likes Thomas Dekany, Stokdgs liked this post

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread Information