Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Best coating for scratch resistance?

Hi, all.

Thank you for your input. I have searched, but I am finding that most threads discuss longevity in terms of ability to bead, gloss, shine etc.

I am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction towards a coating that provides the best SCRATCH resistance. My car (a 2009 Lamborghini Gallardo LP-560) has the softest paint I have EVER seen. After detailing it perfectly, just running a microfibre over its surface, even when clean, can cause fine scratches. It breaks my heart! Thus far, I have been using a great sealant (most recently, Menzerna Power Lock - prior to this, Zaino Z2), but unfortunately, as you all know, these offer practically no protection against scratches, and after even a single road trip with its associated (VERY carefully performed) washes, I am ending up with swirls.

I have in my possession a new bottle of CQuartz UK, but I am wondering if there is another option that is more protective, purely in terms of scratching? Ease of use is not an issue, as I am comfortable applying most anything.

I would GREATLY appreciate your input. Thanks, everyone!!!
    Anima sana in corpore sano

Current:

2020 Lamborghini Huracán EVO
    2023 BMW X4M Competition
    2019 BMW M2 Competition
    2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best coating for scratch resistance?

Not sure where you live, but go to Optimum`s Opti Coat installer page and see who is close to you.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Polish Angels Cosmo coating video hinted it did well, but i think the test was poorly exitcuted, same with the camera work.
    perhaps check out protect it unc v1/v2 combo also
    optimum opti gloss is a great option too

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the SUPER fast replies!!! - I live in Canada, but the car only comes out in the summer time, which is gorgeous here.

I forgot to add - I would rather apply the coating myself. I have a few detailing threads in the "Click and Brag" section - I am pretty comfortable with taking on any detailing job (that Range Rover was a BEAR, though, haha).

Thanks again - any input would be greatly appreciated!!!! Cheers!!!

Current:

2023 BMW X4M Competition
    2019 BMW M2 Competition
    2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Post Thanks / Like

You can`t get Opti Coat Pro as a non pro. I am sure you are very good at detailing, but applying a coating is not like applying a wax or sealant. You want a pro to do it. Where in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
    Thanks guys for the SUPER fast replies!!! - I live in Canada, but the car only comes out in the summer time, which is gorgeous here.

I forgot to add - I would rather apply the coating myself. I have a few detailing threads in the "Click and Brag" section - I am pretty comfortable with taking on any detailing job (that Range Rover was a BEAR, though, haha).

Thanks again - any input would be greatly appreciated!!!! Cheers!!!

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 with Thomas Dekany regarding Optimum Pro (which you cannot purchase but an authorized Installer can) for the best scratch resistance..

Its on my Business vehicle - `09 Black Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 with 32k miles and hardly a scratch after 5 years..
    If you are really after scratch resistance and durability more than anything, this has worked for me and all the vehicles I had, not to mention numerous Clients who are happily enjoying not having to do anything but wash and dry..
    And the finish is very clear to reveal all the different metallic particle colors and absolutely blinds you if you look at it in the sun..
    There should be an Installer up there, I hope you can find one..
    I used to know some Canuk`s on another site - Richy and 911Fanatic who live up there and 911 Fanatic may still be Detailing professionally..
    Hope it all works out for you !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot say enough about Gyeon MOHs, wife`s car has done very well for a year

Post Thanks / Like

Opinions will be all over the map on this and mostly bias based on what someone is an authorized installer of.

I did some testing a couple years ago with 3 popular coatings (2 Pro only coatings) for scratch resistance and all 3 where virtually the same in 2 different tests. Worse yet, the actual scratch resistance was very minimal IMO, although it could be seen. I honestly try not to even mention the scratch resistance to potential clients now as it`s been so over sold by many the it just ends up in disappointment most of the time. IMO your best option would be to evaluate your washing and drying process and just pick one of the popular consumer coatings available...proper washing and drying is key to getting the most out of any coating. You already have UK on hand, which is very popular, so no reason not to use that....though it can be difficult to apply for some new to coatings.

Honestly, If you want real scratch resistance, not to mention chips, I would just wrap the whole car in self healing film and be done with it.

Just my $.02

Rasky
    Likes ww2weaver, jsou, Ronkh, mshu7, zmcgovern45 and 3 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Dekany View Post
    You can`t get Opti Coat Pro as a non pro. I am sure you are very good at detailing, but applying a coating is not like applying a wax or sealant. You want a pro to do it. Where in Canada?
    Tomas details for a living, is an Optimum Installer and apparently does not believe that a Non-Pro could possibly capable of applying a coating

since you already have CQUK, try a couple of layers on the hood and see if you get increased scratch resistance
    https://m.facebook.com/detailedbykyle?_rdr
    Likes RaskyR1, zmcgovern45 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Opinions will be all over the map on this and mostly bias based on what someone is an authorized installer of.

I did some testing a couple years ago with 3 popular coatings (2 Pro only coatings) for scratch resistance and all 3 where virtually the same in 2 different tests. Worse yet, the actual scratch resistance was very minimal IMO, although it could be seen. I honestly try not to even mention the scratch resistance to potential clients now as it`s been so over sold by many the it just ends up in disappointment most of the time. IMO your best option would be to evaluate your washing and drying process and just pick one of the popular consumer coatings available...proper washing and drying is key to getting the most out of any coating. You already have UK on hand, which is very popular, so no reason not to use that....though it can be difficult to apply for some new to coatings.

Honestly, If you want real scratch resistance, not to mention chips, I would just wrap the whole car in self healing film and be done with it.

Just my $.02

Rasky

I really don`t think anything is really "scratch resistant". If you have something in you wash/dry media and you drag it on the surface, it`s gonna scratch... Simple.

So really, it all boils down to good technique and being careful.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    I really don`t think anything is really "scratch resistant". If you have something in you wash/dry media and you drag it on the surface, it`s gonna scratch... Simple.

So really, it all boils down to good technique and being careful.
    True. At least the film can self heal though.

TTBear. Have you thought about eliminating drying towels and instead doing the final rinse with DI/RO water and blowing it dry with a Master Blaster or similar?
    Likes mshu7 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again, you guys - your input is most appreciated.

I live in Saskatchewan, which is really irrelevant for the purposes of my question, as our summers are excellent, and the car only comes out in the summer time!

I have applied coatings multiple times before, and to be honest, I can`t really see why anyone would believe that the procedure should be limited to professionals only. It`s really not difficult - especially if you have been through the "Zaino school of product application", haha.

Rasky, thanks for the suggestion - I have tried that, yes - I already use a CR Spotless system for the entire wash process. You would not believe how easily marred this clear coat is. It is the most gorgeous paint I have ever encountered when detailed, but WOW, is it hard to keep defect-free! Even using the softest application pad, one can install fine scratches when applying sealant.... it`s crazy.

Professional installation of a coating is not an option for me. To be honest, although there are no doubt excellent installers around, I have yet to meet one around here that has as high standards as I have myself. That, and the fact that coatings are very much in their infancy around here making availability an issue, makes me want to do the work myself.

I realize that no coating is going to make the finish bullet-proof, regardless of the makers` claims, but I was just hoping that there might be one of them that was recognized to be superior for resistance to scratching.

I agree - I think I will go with the CQuartz UK that I have, and try to elevate my wash/dry techniques even further. I really don`t want to wrap the entire car - I really do enjoy detailing it, after all

Thanks everyone - as usual, fantastic information.

Cheers!

Allan

Current:

2023 BMW X4M Competition
    2019 BMW M2 Competition
    2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Let us know how it goes. I would be worried about the prep process marring the heck out of the finish if it`s that sensitive. If that`s the case you may need something that can be applied after a primer type polish without the need for a solvent wipe-down.
    Likes zmcgovern45, mshu7 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Tomas details for a living, is an Optimum Installer and apparently does not believe that a Non-Pro could possibly capable of applying a coating

since you already have CQUK, try a couple of layers on the hood and see if you get increased scratch resistance

There is a different between applying a coating OR applying a coating properly.

Why do you think Optimum sells the PRO version to Pro detailers only? The reason iS NOT because of what I think.

And while we are at it, let`s ignore the most important post in this thread. After all, actual PROOF is not as important as someone`s bias is it?

+1 with Thomas Dekany regarding Optimum Pro (which you cannot purchase but an authorized Installer can) for the best scratch resistance..

Its on my Business vehicle - `09 Black Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 with 32k miles and hardly a scratch after 5 years..
    If you are really after scratch resistance and durability more than anything, this has worked for me and all the vehicles I had, not to mention numerous Clients who are happily enjoying not having to do anything but wash and dry..
    And the finish is very clear to reveal all the different metallic particle colors and absolutely blinds you if you look at it in the sun..
    There should be an Installer up there, I hope you can find one..
    I used to know some Canuk`s on another site - Richy and 911Fanatic who live up there and 911 Fanatic may still be Detailing professionally..
    Hope it all works out for you !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

This is the exactly the reason why I suggested a pro to you. You do not want to apply a coating (any coating) the Zaino way. You want a thick coat. As I said above, there is a difference between applying a coating vs applying it properly. In any case, if you can`t wipe off the paint without marring it, I am not sure how you will have defect free finish prior to applying a coating.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
    Thanks again, you guys - your input is most appreciated.

I live in Saskatchewan, which is really irrelevant for the purposes of my question, as our summers are excellent, and the car only comes out in the summer time!

I have applied coatings multiple times before, and to be honest, I can`t really see why anyone would believe that the procedure should be limited to professionals only. It`s really not difficult - especially if you have been through the "Zaino school of product application", haha.

Rasky, thanks for the suggestion - I have tried that, yes - I already use a CR Spotless system for the entire wash process. You would not believe how easily marred this clear coat is. It is the most gorgeous paint I have ever encountered when detailed, but WOW, is it hard to keep defect-free! Even using the softest application pad, one can install fine scratches when applying sealant.... it`s crazy.

Professional installation of a coating is not an option for me. To be honest, although there are no doubt excellent installers around, I have yet to meet one around here that has as high standards as I have myself. That, and the fact that coatings are very much in their infancy around here making availability an issue, makes me want to do the work myself.

I realize that no coating is going to make the finish bullet-proof, regardless of the makers` claims, but I was just hoping that there might be one of them that was recognized to be superior for resistance to scratching.

I agree - I think I will go with the CQuartz UK that I have, and try to elevate my wash/dry techniques even further. I really don`t want to wrap the entire car - I really do enjoy detailing it, after all

Thanks everyone - as usual, fantastic information.

Cheers!

Allan

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information