Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

FK1000P vs. Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze

Hey guys, I am new here on the forum, and am in the process of advancing my detailing skills. I am doing this before I go to work, so I am sorry that I cannot introduce my self. Anyways, I am seeking advice on which product is more desired. I live in Texas, so these summers are very hot, and the past few winters have been very cold for Texas. I am wondering which product will last the longest in the heat, I know that the FK1000P has very high heat rating of 250 degree F, I have measured paint temps that are consistently around 180 degrees in sunlight, on dark cars. Will the FK1000P stand up to this abuse for an extended amount of time, like five months? I do know that both products are sealants, and was also wondering if the Klasse Sealant will stand up to the recorded high heats? Sorry if this post is jumbled, I am in a hurry.

Thanks for your help!

Collin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FK1000P vs. Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze

Collin, welcome aboard! Do you own both products or do you need to purchase them?

I own both and I`d have a difficult time picking one over the other. They`d both be excellent and durable in the scenario you mention.
    Cars: bringing people together
    Likes Ronkh, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Tom P, I do not own either of the products, that is one reason why I am searching for some help in order to make a more informed decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you`ll need to purchase both parts of the Klasse system, IMO.

You`ll have to compare that to the cost of a tin of FK1000p plus some sort of polish, which you may already own.

If you`re doing all this by hand, I suppose I`d rather be working with the Klasse products.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

It`s hard to beat the bond that the Klasse twins make. You don`t have to worry about oils or additional steps before applying the KSG. And if you get pressed for time KAIO provides decent protection until you can get back to it.
    Slate Metallic 2015 Toyota Corolla LE, 1.8L CVT

Bright White 2014 Dodge GCV, 30th Anniversary Edition, Blacktop Package. 3.6L 6A

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use the Klasse twins regularly, but the SG just requires too many coats to really show and be effective. I do like the Klasse All in One for a polish, and it leaves the car with a nice finish. I bought the FK 1000p and put it on top of the KAIO. It is much nicer than the Klasse SG, feels thicker ans slicker and easy to apply. I`m happy with it, we``ll see how it lasts the summer, I may do a second coat.. Wife complained of the smell when she washed the MF towels afterwards, though. the Collonite was my next choice.

Will be looking for alternatives to the KAIO after I run out, which will be early next year. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

TheMeanGreen- Welcome to Autopia!

I have extensive experience with both KSG and FK1000P. For almost all applications I`ve quit using KSG in favor of the FK1000P.

The benefits of KSG aren`t significant IME unless you apply at least four layers (and I consider six or ecven more to be much better). Fewer than three layers and it won`t last much, if any, longer than a lot of other products. At four layers it achieves the best look it`ll get (and it`s a bit of a signature look that some don`t like on some paints, same goes for the FK1000P as well). Six layers lasts a good long time and allows you to easily "clay the KSG clean" without the clay stripping it (at least if you do the claying properly ).

With FK1000P you can do one coat, wait until the next wash and do another, and maybe repeat that again after a while and it will IME equal the durability of the many (more) coats of KSG. Then just add another coat whenever you think you oughta, or when you have the inclination.

Both protect fine against bugs/bird bombs. Both wash clean easily, but the FK1000P is superior in this regard especially over time.

One unique feature of KSG is that if you layer it quite heavily (which I`d always do if using it at all, can`t overemphasize that!) it will end up with a significant "build film" on the vehicle, a truly protective physical barrier that IME is unique among waxes and sealant.

With the conditions you described, *any* product short of a coating might be hard-pressed to last 5 months, but IMO you did chose the right two to pick between. I`d do the FK1000P if only because you don`t need to layer it as heavily.

These days I only use KSG on exterior smooth/shiny black plastic and other exterior plastic/rubber/etc. trim; I use it for that "protective barrier"-effect. I no longer use it on paint or wheels although I did for many years.

And FWIW I find KAIO by itself to be very short-lived so if at all possible I`d get a coat of KSG on top of it right away.

FWIW#2 I find that KAIO can *NOT* strip polishing oils left by products like M205. I`ve always done a thorough stripping of polishing oils before using the Klasse twins.

FK1000p bonds to various things quite well. People here have used it over glazes with no problems and I use it over polishes that leave some protection behind (e.g., 1Z Pro-Line Metallic Polish) and also over various All-in-One products (e.g., both KAIO and ZAIO).

If working by hand, I myself would probably go with a combo like Zaino AIO topped with FK1000P.

Both KSG and FK1000P should be applied *VERY* thin...one ounce of KSG is more than I`d use on a Suburban. If you use too much both can be a PIA to buff off, with the KSG being the harder of the two. That said, I myself find both easy to use (thin application, let dry until passes the "finger-swipe" test, fog with your breath, buff off with plush MF). If you apply KSG to exterior trim, use the wipe-on-wipe-off method instead of letting it dry (I`ve used FK1000P on trim but don`t advise that others try it..do *NOT* let that stuff dry on trim).
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all of the replies guys!!

I am really starting a brand new paint regimen, on the past lighter color cars in the family, I have gotten away with OTC products and have gotten good results, now with my personal vehicle being a dark green and the mom having a black car, this stuff just doesn`t work or leave amazing results.

Here is my grocery list of new tools:

Porter Cable 5.5 x 7/8 Inch CCS Foam Pad Kit
    Blue Hawk 3-Pack Polyester Angle Sash Paint Brush Variety Pack
    AMMO Microfiber Towels
    Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax
    Meguairs Tire and Trim Gel
    Collinite Super DoubleCoat #476
    Meguiars Mirror Glaze #105 Ultra-Cut Compound
    Meguiars Mirror Glaze #205 Ultra Finishing Polish
    Griot`s Garage Glass Polish
    Rain-x Original Glass
    Waffle Weave Microfiber Glass Towel
    Griot`s Garage 6 Inch Glass Polishing Pads
    The 3M Headlight Lens Restoration System
    The 3M Headlight Lens Refill Kit
    U-Pol Products 0796 Clear CLEAR#1
    Maybe the Griot`s garage Finest Microfiber Bundle

For myself as a college kid, this is a lot of coin to drop, but that`s why I have been saving all summer so far, and will likely purchase at the end of summer. I have read good things about the Meg`s 105/205, and do like, as mentioned that the FK is oil friendly and that I can match protection of the KSG with fewer coats. I am going with Collinite 476s for the top layer of wax. My car is not garaged, and it sits outside here in West Texas, if you know anything about West Texas you know that it is very dusty and dirty, and dirty sandy water falls from the sky when it rains. To keep an ungaraged DD clean requires a wash every three days, if not every two days. It`s a pain in the butt. Will either product stand up to being applied one day, being washed the next, then reapplied the day of the wash over consecutive days?

Anybody have experience with AMMO Skin? I want to trying it so badly after seeing Larry`s video`s, but I can`t really shell out $65 for one product.

Post Thanks / Like

Be wary about your MF towels. They are NOT created equal. There is a whole section dedicated to it.

I get mine from The Rag Company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bright White 2014 Dodge GCV, 30th Anniversary Edition, Blacktop Package. 3.6L 6A

Post Thanks / Like

I have found the section! Seems that I have a bit more research to conduct.

Post Thanks / Like

Few of thoughts:
    You might want to consider the Griots Garage DA polisher. It has a lot more torque which will come in handy when polishing concave curves and it has a lifetime warranty. Handy down the road if it should fail.

Another thought, if you`re really trying to save money, would be the Harbor Frieght DA that you can pick up for about $50. Just replace the backing plate (which you have to do with the Griots or PC anyway) with a quality 5" BP and use quality 5.5" pads.

I just used FK1000p for the first time. It needs to be applied thin or it is a bear to remove (from what I`ve read) so I picked up one of these crumb scrapers at a kitchen products store-- Crumber | 6" Gold Pocket Crumber Really speeds things up--turned the hand applicator one quarter turn in the FK1000p then scraped the product off the surface of the pad for each section. Was able to do the entire car, let it sit of an hour and wipe off was a snap. Waited 48 hours and applied a second coat without any problems. I had no problems on non-pebble grain black trim, but make sure you wipe it off any rubber or grained trim while wet. I missed a few spots and had to go back with APC and a tooth brush to get it off.

You can save some money and get quality MF towels at the Rag Company.

Might want to consider some other polishing products than 105 and 205. 105 isn`t beginner friendly and 205 leaves some heavy oils behind that have to be removed before applying your LSP. Megs Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish would be a better start and you can get them locally for about $10 each. An even better choice would be HD Cut and HD Polish 3D Car Care Products--very user friendly with long working time and easy to wipe off.

Take a look at Buff & Shine 5.5" flat pads. Very durable and they have recessed Velcro--an added bit of safety when polishing around proturding objects like mirrors etc.

Don`t forget to decontaminate the paint--at the very least a mechanical decontamination--the Nanoskin Sponge is inexpensive ($13) and works great Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge Best to also do a chemical decon with Carpro IronX also.

Good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

The nanosponge is awesome. It does leave a nasty black streak (marring) if you press too hard!

Also mean green, beware the meguiars tire gels. Good tire products are not commonly found OTC. Duragloss 321 is pretty good and its inexpensive. Look for water based and or nonsilicone

Post Thanks / Like

Autogeek is discounting BF tire and trim sealant for the PrePrime sale. Look into it.

Post Thanks / Like

pwaug- Wish I could figure out why the FK1000P isn`t being very user-friendly for you...that just has me stumped! Last time I applied some to the Tahoe I did some areas silly-thick just to experiment...and sure enough it buffed right off with no problems/effort at all. Those spots where you missed some on trim are an example of why I put the FK1000P-on-Trim in the "don`t try this at home, kids!" category

Hey, I absolutely agree with you about how TheMeanGreen should look into the Griot`s Polisher and althernatives to M105/M205 (*especially* the latter!). I`m OK with M105 (though I prefer M101) for aggressive work, but products like HD Polish have rendered my M205 an also-ran that I *never* reach for any more.

pwaug & alexxxx89- That potential for marring is why I`ll never use the Nanoskin Sponge approach, nor recommend it to a newbie. A chemical decontamination basically eliminates the risk of marring and IMO (and that of the major automakers ) does the job better than mechanical approaches anyhow(note that I still use clay a lot, but *not* for general decontamination).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    I am really starting a brand new paint regimen, on the past lighter color cars in the family, I have gotten away with OTC products and have gotten good results, now with my personal vehicle being a dark green and the mom having a black car, this stuff just doesn`t work or leave amazing results.

Here is my grocery list of new tools:
    The 3M Headlight Lens Restoration System
    The 3M Headlight Lens Refill Kit
    I would skip the 3m headlight restoration kit because you can use the DA and a compound to restore the headlights, but you will need a UV coating to protect them from turning yellow again.

Thanks to Accumulator for pushing me to make the switch from Klasse AIO topped with multiple layers of Klasse SG to FK1000P and honestly I don`t regret the LSP change one bit.

Below is my opinion (on a scale from 1 to 10) on the pro`s and cons of each LSP but in the end they both protect and both look very good.
    *Scale: 1 being the worse LSP and 10 being as good as I can conceive without being impossible to obtain...

FK1000P Pros:
    • Durability (9/10) - I haven`t had it on long enough to say for sure, but my oversized tires basically sandblast the side panels and strip most LSP FK1000P holds up nicely
    • Ease of application (9/10) - I had no issues and I put it on thick like peanut butter in a few spots to test what people were talking about (didn`t have any removal issues).
    • Overall Look (8/10) - Still not 100% perfect but darn good and as good as any other LSP I`ve tried
    • Water Beading (10/10) - The finest beading and water sheeting I`ve had from any LSP
    • Price (10/10) - Cant beat the price and quantity
    • Gloss (9/10) - Very glossy even more when layered
    • Glow (9/10) - Leaves paint bright and light (other LSP`s I`ve tried slightly darkened the look)
    • Flake POP (8/10) - Slightly less flake pop than Klasse AIO/SG oddly (very subjective)
    • Depth (7/10) - So glossy you don`t get as much depth as with other products (Collinite 845) but up close you can see the depth and flake easily
    • Wet look (10/10) - Even when I got home to find the city had cut down a huge tree right next to my car and it was covered in saw dust the paint still looked glossy wet!
    • The tin has a large enough opening that you can fit your DA pad right it without issue to apply quickly by mechine (extra coats I`d apply by hand).

FK1000P Cons:
    • Smell (6/10) - It doesn`t smell bad, but it`s also not enjoyable (petroleum smell like Collinite 845)
    • Attracted flys (1/10) - I noticed that flys were attracted to FK1000p (and Collinite 845, but not Klasse AIO/SG)
    • Nearly impossible to clean applicator pad (just like with Blackfire Wet Diamond)
    • High spots may show up the following day as white streaks, and are easily buffed off (user issue not really a product con)

Klasse AIO/SG Pros:
    • Durability (7/10) - The rocker/slower panels and rear hatch always had issues during the winter. Klasse doesn`t like being sandblasted with salt (slight edge to FK1000P)
    • Ease of application (6/10) - The fact that you have to apply two products back to back and layer the KSG reduces the ease of application (I use WOWO technique for KSG)
    • Overall Look (8/10) - Still not 100% perfect but darn good and as good as any other LSP I`ve tried (when layered 4-8 times)
    • Water Beading (7/10) - Average water beading over time (less than Collinite 845 and FK1000P)
    • Price (7/10) - Very affordable but need to buy two products (enough product to last the lifetime of a few cars)
    • Gloss (9/10) - Very glossy even more when layered
    • Flake POP (9/10) - Slightly more flake pop than FK1000P (very obvious on some points with contrasting flake, I.E. dark red paint with bright red flake)
    • Wet look (7/10) - It doesn`t really look wet but it looks jeweled, and the paint glistens in the light like a polished diamond (very noticeable at night with the street lights)
    • Klasse AIO is a huge time saver IMHO and provides it`s own protection if you run out of time to apply KSG
    • *no real noticeable smell from either product

Klasse AIO/SG Cons:
    • Glow (4/10) - I found the paint didn`t really glow like it does with FK1000P or Collinite 845
    • Depth (4/10) - So glossy you don`t much depth IMHO
    • High spots (3/10) - KSG high spots are much harder to remove than with any other LSP I`ve tried, very frustrating if you over apply. Let sit 24 hours and it buffs off easier.
    • Layering (6/10) - Layering is a double-edged sword in that it improves the look of the product but also takes so much time, and if you don`t layer it doesn`t last as long.
    • Slickness (7/10) - Not as slick to the touch as other LSP (Blackfire Wet Diamond is the slickest followed by FK1000P and then Collinite 845)
    • Protection (6/10) - I found bird bombs and bugs slightly harder to remove than with some other LSP (FK1000P takes the cake by far)

If I had to pick just one it would be FK1000P hands down, just because it looks great and takes much less time to maintain the look than Klasse does over the lifespan of your car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information