Post Thanks / Like

Question Anyone putting something OVER a coating?

I applied CQUK to a vehicle, and although it`s nice...I`ve seen better. It had a darkening effect on the metallic gray color, but I feel that I`ve lost the sharp reflections that I used to get with sealant product like Prima HydroMAX, Opti-Seal, etc, etc. I like the maintenance aspect of the coating, but I don`t prefer the appearance on this particular vehicle. Has anyone applied products over it with success? Can I apply my tried-and-true sealants, or will then not adhere properly?
    I hear that removing a coating can be next to impossible, so I was hopeful I could simply modify the look by over-coating it with something else. Then I would have the durability and the look I want. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone putting something OVER a coating?

Quote Originally Posted by cobrar97 View Post
    I applied CQUK to a vehicle, and although it`s nice...I`ve seen better. It had a darkening effect on the metallic gray color, but I feel that I`ve lost the sharp reflections that I used to get with sealant product like Prima HydroMAX, Opti-Seal, etc, etc. I like the maintenance aspect of the coating, but I don`t prefer the appearance on this particular vehicle. Has anyone applied products over it with success? Can I apply my tried-and-true sealants, or will then not adhere properly?
    I hear that removing a coating can be next to impossible, so I was hopeful I could simply modify the look by over-coating it with something else. Then I would have the durability and the look I want. Thoughts?
    Polish it off, and put on Black Label paint coating. That has the bright look I think that you are describing.

I really don`t think you`ll do much (looks wise) besides dulling it a little by putting something over it.

just my .02
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Polish it off, and put on Black Label paint coating. That has the bright look I think that you are describing.

I really don`t think you`ll do much (looks wise) besides dulling it a little by putting something over it.

just my .02

I was told that anything short of a compound wouldn`t remove it. Do you say differently. If it could simply use some reflect polish on a polishing pad, I`d go to it...but if I have to use a cutting pad and compound, I`m less likely.
    The coating has been on there for months, and the vehicle was sitting in a garage all winter...so it`s good and cured.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobrar97 View Post
    I was told that anything short of a compound wouldn`t remove it. Do you say differently. If it could simply use some reflect polish on a polishing pad, I`d go to it...but if I have to use a cutting pad and compound, I`m less likely.
    The coating has been on there for months, and the vehicle was sitting in a garage all winter...so it`s good and cured.
    Too many variables. The answer (sorry to say) is doing it. In some areas that should be fine, some not.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

CQUK ruined my Camaro`s factory red jewel tinted clear coat "bling". It not only darkened it, but made it look like a single stage paint... and I too polished it off. I know exactly what you are talking about. I waited almost a year before polishing it off, so it came off easily with a polishing pad and a finishing polish.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    CQUK ruined my Camaro`s factory red jewel tinted clear coat "bling". It not only darkened it, but made it look like a single stage paint... and I too polished it off. I know exactly what you are talking about. I waited almost a year before polishing it off, so it came off easily with a polishing pad and a finishing polish.
    Yes...it`s the "bling" that is missing for me too. I have some awesome, sharp reflection lines and now there`s nothing. Don`t get my wrong...it will looks better than 99% of the other cars on the road; just not as perfect as I know it can be. We`re all a little OCD about this stuff.
    Likes Ronkh, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here is pbl coating on crystal red tint coat

hope this helps in your decisions

http://www.autopia.org/forums/click-...+label+coating

Post Thanks / Like

You could try reload, but I don`t think that it will give you the look you`re after. For that matter, I don`t think anything over CQUK will get you where you`re headed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    You could try reload, but I don`t think that it will give you the look you`re after. For that matter, I don`t think anything over CQUK will get you where you`re headed.
    That`s what I was a-feared of.

Thread Information