Post Thanks / Like

Coating and correction quesiton

If there is a coating on the car and improper washing and drying methods were used, is it possible
    to correct a vehicle if it has a coating on it? Are you then removing the coating?
    Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating and correction quesiton

Most likely you will remove the coating. It of course depends on the coating, the depth of the defects, and how aggressive your polishing.

Even if you are "gentle", removing marring is going to remove coating, just like polishing paint removes paint. Whether you have any coating left after polishing depends on the above variables.
    Likes firebird, KBsToy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not too familiar with coatings....so assuming avoiding correction, can you still clay and put a coat of wax over the coating?
    Or the purpose of the coating is to just wash and dry? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

If the damage is on the surface of the coating, polishing will remove all or a portion of the coating. If the damage is below the coating, you will need to polish off all the coating and then correct the paint. I would suggest re-applying a coating over the surface corrected in either case.
    Likes firebird liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so say there is NO correction needed, no damage. Is it normal to clay and wax over a coating? Or is the coating supposed to replace the need to wax? For OCD people, is it ok to wax over the coating?
    I don`t think claying removes waxes or sealants/coatings, it`s the polishing that removes all.
    But still I need to know...can you clay and wax over coating?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaner waxes are a no as they mostly have mild abrasives like a polish.

Its OK to wax over a coating, but by doing so you will alter the look and hydrophobic properties of the coating as the surface will now have the properties of the wax. Once the wax wears off the properties of the coating will return.

Claying the coating won`t harm it anymore than it would a clear coat and is still good practice to maintain a clean vehicle.

If someone is OCD about needing to wax their car, I see no benefit to getting a coating at all as you`re just going to keep it covered up all the time so you get nothing out of it besides a little scratch/mar resistance. I would say if you`re looking for a long term solution to keeping your car protected and easier to maintain, go with the coating. If you`re going to continue to wax/seal the car regularly, save your money and skip the coating

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks All for answers. While I am a bit OCD, here`s what happened: I have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler. I detail my own cars and we have a fleet of them! BUT my husband bought a new truck and the dealer "roped" him into the coating. I`ve heard of it before but thought I never wanted it because it`s "too permanent". However, after liking his, I got it on the Jeep. While I thought it was a sealant, I now realize it`s a coating. I know they say you pay out the wazooo at the dealership but I have to say they did a nice job. So never having a coating before, I just want to know how to maintain the coating. (they say it will last 2-3 years but not sure any last that long and that` ok). I may or may not due it again once it`s worn off but for now I will enjoy it and just need to know how to maintain it. So I will skip waxing for now, but can I use the spray sealant after washing to maintain shine? Or what is post coating maintenance is needed. Thanks so much!!!

Thread Information