Thread: Foam gun ?

Post Thanks / Like

Foam gun ?

Some say just soap

Some say soap + 6-8 oz of water

So which is right?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Foam gun ?

For 1 oz. per gallon mix, I do 1 oz. soap to 3 oz. water then use middle ("C") setting. Someone else did the math on this a while back and it works out correct.

For stripping I use 4 oz. CG Red, 4 oz. Megs APC, and 24 oz. water.

Post Thanks / Like

I also use 3-4 oz. of Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Clear along with 1-2 oz. of APC or Super Degreaser depending on the condition of the car and how dirty it is. This has worked good for me so far.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 4 oz. shampoo and 12 oz. hot water in the tank. Setting at 1:32

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure there is a "correct" answer.

I usually use 2-4oz of soap and fill the rest with warm water; depending on what I am doing and the lowest-medium setting. I feel like a wet foam is better and actually loosening dirt and adding in my wash method.

I usually use the entire bottle on a single vehicle while washing. They call me "The soap waster"

Post Thanks / Like

In the gilmore gun i always filled it up with water first, then about 2oz of soap. Then shake it up. I have the brass slide setting. I use the next to last slot.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post

I am not sure there is a "correct" answer.

I usually use 2-4oz of soap and fill the rest with warm water; depending on what I am doing and the lowest-medium setting. I feel like a wet foam is better and actually loosening dirt and adding in my wash method.

I usually use the entire bottle on a single vehicle while washing. They call me "The soap waster"
    Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    In the gilmore gun i always filled it up with water first, then about 2oz of soap. Then shake it up. I have the brass slide setting. I use the next to last slot.
    I do the same as them ^. 32oz Gilmour, 2oz soap and top off with warm water. Also use all of the soap in the reservoir.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

If you are talking about a Gilmour-type gun, there are two things at play. First of all, this is a venturi or "siphon" device, where the passing stream of water is "sucking up" the solution from the cup and mixing it with the water. If what you have in the cup is too thick, it will not siphon properly from the cup. Cheap soaps are frequently thin and can be used straight, the fancier soaps we tend to use are too thick to draw properly and have to be diluted.

It is the combination of the dilution in the cup and the setting of the mixing bar that will give you the resultant dilution on the vehicle. Since most soaps use 1oz/gallon, I mix the soap in the cup at a 1:3 soap:water ratio, and put the mixing bar on the center hole (4:1), which gives me one ounce per gallon. If you want a little heavier or a little weaker adjust the bar.

If you are using a soap that is recommended at say, 1/2 oz/gallon, you can either put less in the cup, or adjust the mixing bar to mix in less (smaller hole), then your cup will last longer.

Apologies in advance if that was TMI. There have to be like 100 foam gun threads between here and AGO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    If you are talking about a Gilmour-type gun, there are two things at play. First of all, this is a venturi or "siphon" device, where the passing stream of water is "sucking up" the solution from the cup and mixing it with the water. If what you have in the cup is too thick, it will not siphon properly from the cup. Cheap soaps are frequently thin and can be used straight, the fancier soaps we tend to use are too thick to draw properly and have to be diluted.

It is the combination of the dilution in the cup and the setting of the mixing bar that will give you the resultant dilution on the vehicle. Since most soaps use 1oz/gallon, I mix the soap in the cup at a 1:3 soap:water ratio, and put the mixing bar on the center hole (4:1), which gives me one ounce per gallon. If you want a little heavier or a little weaker adjust the bar.

If you are using a soap that is recommended at say, 1/2 oz/gallon, you can either put less in the cup, or adjust the mixing bar to mix in less (smaller hole), then your cup will last longer.

Apologies in advance if that was TMI. There have to be like 100 foam gun threads between here and AGO.
    When you say center hole (4:1), do you mean 4 oz. per gal. ?
    I thought the center hole (or "C" on the dial type) was 1:32.
    Just wondering if we`re saying the same thing.
    I don`t want my previous post to be misleading.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dogfather View Post
    When you say center hole (4:1), do you mean 4 oz. per gal. ?
    I thought the center hole (or "C" on the dial type) was 1:32.
    Just wondering if we`re saying the same thing.
    I don`t want my previous post to be misleading.
    Yeah, 4 oz/gallon, sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys

Thread Information