Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Best way to clean trunk and door jams

What is the best way to clean door and trunk jams?
    I don`t have a steam cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best way to clean trunk and door jams

ONR. If it is really dirty, OPC with a soft brush, then rinse with low volume/pressure. I either use the PW with power off or pressure/garden sprayer to rinse so it is controlled and doesn`t get interior wet with anything more than a light mist.
    Likes mshu7, XxBoostinxX liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I assume you mean the door to front fender jamb that has the hinges, and can hold a lot of leaves, dirt, & grease coming off the hinges, etc...

You will want to do these in conjunction with the first wash of the vehicle, so that all the messy stuff is done once and never have to get in there again, except to perhaps polish the opposite door to middle body jamb area, after all the cleaning, rinsing is completed..

This hinge is usually the hardest to do because its only accessible from one side..

I will spray a good APC in there (Meguiars APC+) and use long handled brushes to get as much as can be reached, rinse with anything, even your garden hose with a on/off valve set to really low, and rinse out all the stuff that comes out, really well...

Dont worry too much about getting it surgically clean and perfect because the next time it rains and you drive in it, sometimes, dirty water gets blown back in there...

Try to manage the grease on the hinge rollers so it doesnt get everywhere, ruin your nice towels, and you need to leave it on there to help lubricate the moving parts that get the most wear..

I also use a VX5000 Steamer sometimes, to really knock stuff out fast, and because its really hot, it heats up everything which speeds the drying...

The Trunk jamb hinge is usually pretty dirty but much easier to work around since you can get to it from all sides... Same process, spray, brush, rinse, and be careful to not get the water into the trunk itself...

The Trunk jamb itself does get really bad, and in WA where I used to live, I would sometimes find little trees growing in there in really neglected vehicles... Leaves, seeds, etc., fall in there, they get wet, they get hot, turn to compost, mold, more water, heat, etc., and you know what happens next..

Just spray your Cleaner in there, and brush - both the jamb and the upper part of the trunk lid that goes over the jamb might be pretty bad, and then follow the upper part of the trunk lid edges all the way around..

Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Best way to clean trunk and door jams

Either ONR in a spray bottle or Optimum Power Clean if it`s REALLY dirty. Spray either solution liberally and take a soft bristle brush (raceglaze brush set) and rub away to the jam. I`ve cleaned some pretty nasty door jams recently with this method and it works pretty well. One was so bad I had to use OPC undiluted.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Post Thanks / Like

For those of you that clean out the door jambs, do you need to reapply a lubricant or grease?

Post Thanks / Like

Solid advice here! It`s the way I`ve been do mine for years

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I assume you mean the door to front fender jamb that has the hinges, and can hold a lot of leaves, dirt, & grease coming off the hinges, etc...

You will want to do these in conjunction with the first wash of the vehicle, so that all the messy stuff is done once and never have to get in there again, except to perhaps polish the opposite door to middle body jamb area, after all the cleaning, rinsing is completed..

This hinge is usually the hardest to do because its only accessible from one side..

I will spray a good APC in there (Meguiars APC+) and use long handled brushes to get as much as can be reached, rinse with anything, even your garden hose with a on/off valve set to really low, and rinse out all the stuff that comes out, really well...

Dont worry too much about getting it surgically clean and perfect because the next time it rains and you drive in it, sometimes, dirty water gets blown back in there...

Try to manage the grease on the hinge rollers so it doesnt get everywhere, ruin your nice towels, and you need to leave it on there to help lubricate the moving parts that get the most wear..

I also use a VX5000 Steamer sometimes, to really knock stuff out fast, and because its really hot, it heats up everything which speeds the drying...

The Trunk jamb hinge is usually pretty dirty but much easier to work around since you can get to it from all sides... Same process, spray, brush, rinse, and be careful to not get the water into the trunk itself...

The Trunk jamb itself does get really bad, and in WA where I used to live, I would sometimes find little trees growing in there in really neglected vehicles... Leaves, seeds, etc., fall in there, they get wet, they get hot, turn to compost, mold, more water, heat, etc., and you know what happens next..

Just spray your Cleaner in there, and brush - both the jamb and the upper part of the trunk lid that goes over the jamb might be pretty bad, and then follow the upper part of the trunk lid edges all the way around..

Good luck !
    Dan F
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dc52nv View Post
    For those of you that clean out the door jambs, do you need to reapply a lubricant or grease?
    Not really because if your using APC and a low flow of water to rinse, it`s not that much more water, no more than might be in there from driving in heavy rains and such.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    Not really because if your using APC and a low flow of water to rinse, it`s not that much more water, no more than might be in there from driving in heavy rains and such.
    Right, unless you go hog wild with a heavy degreaser and scrub the hinges, you`re not likely to remove the lubrication there for the hinges.

As a side note, since snowy (yuk) weather is coming, I spray those areas heavily with WD-40 to help prevent the salt spray from getting a hold in the jambs & hinges.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Toothbrushes and 1" foam paint brushes help get in all the nooks and crannies along with a degreaser.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post

Good luck !
    Dan F
    Dan,

You never cease to amaze me. Your detailed input to a myriad of questions is invaluable to those of us that are soooo trying to learn.

Thank you so much.
    Best regards,
    Tom
    Likes screamng liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Mi Hermano Tomas !

I am glad to help !
    Hang on there and I might just be up there someday and will be happy to do the work for you !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

1. Degreaser
    2. pressure washer
    3. great aim/control
    4. Good wet/dry vac in case #3 falls through
    The Gloss Boss, LLC
    Kris Metje, Owner
    http://theglossbosscape.com

Post Thanks / Like

You could spray an APC and hose or PW. I`ve always just wiped with a wet/damp ONR soaked MF towel. (For this kind of ONR use I use the inexpensive MF towels you get in housewares at Wally World).

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, I sometimes think I get more appreciative passenger comments on doorjambs than anything else!

Gee, it`s been ages since I`ve had to do nasty jambs, hope I never have to tackle that job again. Get `em nice, keep `em nice.

For the initial BIG JOB, it`s easy to control what`s going on if you clean with swabs/etc. and solvent. When I get a new-to-me used vehicle I often do that instead of going the steamer/APC route as I`ve found I`m better able to control the whole process, especially stuff like filthy runoff.

Once you get `em clean (preferably polished to smooth the often-rough paint, and certainly LSPed) it`s easy to keep them nice. I use BHB, first with regular shampoo mix and then again with rinse water, for the initial work and then a bit of rinseless wash on the drying towel, only resorting to stuff like swabs when I really need to. Now and then I do a quickie pass with a spraywax/WOWA sealant, hardly ever have to do a full redo (thankfully the polishing is almost always a one-time job). The gentle washing seldom cleans off the lube and hinges/latches don`t seem to need much lubrication anyhow.

As with engine compartments/wheel wells/undercarriages, it`s really not that big a job to keep things nice once you get the first big job done. TDuring a maintenaqnce wash, the jambs take me even less time than the engine compartment, with occasionally a few extra minutes to relube things (hint- use a pinpoint oiler to keep things tidy).

Specific tip- you can often squeeze a MF in the gap between the leading edge of the (front) door and the back side of the front fender to clean out that area nice and fast. First with shampoo mix to clean, again with rinse water, then a final go with a rinseless wash during the drying process.

Maybe it sounds nutty to do such stuff on daily drivers, but hey...drains plug up, things start to rust... bad stuff in general happens when things are dirty. That`s beside the whole "my stuff is clean" aspect of it

Post Thanks / Like

Follow-up - it occurs to me we may be missing something here. The inside door (e.g. jam) areas may also be deserving of some LSP, like say a spray wax, to make those surfaces more "self cleaning" moving forward.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information