Post Thanks / Like

Removing BF TPnS from trim

OK, I screwed up and got some BF TPnS on rubber window trim and didn`t notice till I was through. It isn`t easy to remove! I tried Griot`s Wax Remover. No joy. I tried Megs APC+. It`s still there. I even tried a little Microfiber detergent which did cut it down quite a bit.

I wondered how others deal with this issue (assuming that you have this issue<g>)

Thanks,
    <TED>
    Regards,
    <TED>

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing BF TPnS from trim

Can you try your APC again and agitate with a stiff brush? Usually this is the best course of action, but it may take multiple cleanings. Also, IPA may help. Use that on a MF towel and see if that helps weaken it. It`ll come out - it just may take some time and elbow grease.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by radarryan View Post
    Can you try your APC again and agitate with a stiff brush? Usually this is the best course of action, but it may take multiple cleanings. Also, IPA may help. Use that on a MF towel and see if that helps weaken it. It`ll come out - it just may take some time and elbow grease.
    Thanks for the input. Actually, the microfiber detergent on a microfiber towel did the job. I was interested in what other people do. I never thought of IPA. Eraser is another good bet. Can`t imagine why I didn`t think of them first, but the obvious is often obscure to the aged<G>!

Thanks!

<TED>
    Regards,
    <TED>

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tedj101 View Post
    Thanks for the input. Actually, the microfiber detergent on a microfiber towel did the job. I was interested in what other people do. I never thought of IPA. Eraser is another good bet. Can`t imagine why I didn`t think of them first, but the obvious is often obscure to the aged<G>!

Thanks!

<TED>
    Glad it is resolved. Generally, TPnS won`t "stain" trim, but you can never say never given the various qualities and porosity of different plastics. A stiff brush and a mild APC will usually do the trick. The goal is to agitate the trim enough to allow the APC to penetrate and loosen the polishing agents in the product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Glad it is resolved. Generally, TPnS won`t "stain" trim, but you can never say never given the various qualities and porosity of different plastics. A stiff brush and a mild APC will usually do the trick. The goal is to agitate the trim enough to allow the APC to penetrate and loosen the polishing agents in the product.
    This was clearly a case of getting the pad onto the trim in two spots (two semicircular whitish smudges). I finally used Chemical Guys Microfiber Cleaner which had worked on the pads so I tried it on the rubber trim. That did work. BFBDAPP is one tough motha to get off of things - like pads and applicators. CG did work, but it required a lot of chemical and at some point it isn`t cost effective.

BTW, I had some problems with BFTPnS recounted in another thread. You mentioned it might have run out of lubricant which caused it to leave deposits. Since then I have done two more cars with TPnS and BFWDAPP and had no trouble. Other than being different brands, the biggest difference was that I used more pad conditioner and used a little after every pad cleaning. Worked just fine!
    Regards,
    <TED>

Thread Information