Thread: Iron-X

Post Thanks / Like

Iron-X

Are most of you guys using Iron-X as part of your standard decontamination procedure when claying a car ? Do you feel that the use of Iron-X is a must, or do you think the traditional Claybar/Speedy Prep towel will do a sufficient job by itself ? I haven`t been using Iron-X but am thinking about adding it to my arsenal if for nothing else than decontaminating wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Iron-X

I use it before any coating job, and on heavily contaminated cars. I would use it on every car I detail, but that would become costly fast. Its one of the best wheel cleaners out there, but a cheaper and equally effective option is 1Z Color Tec. It even smells like IronX

Post Thanks / Like

I think it makes claying or speedy prep pad decon far easier and faster. The clay picks up much less ""junk" and you can move faster. I wont apply an LSP with out using is as part of the decon but I tend to be an over kill person. Buy a small bottle and try it, If you list your location perhaps your near a member who can show you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    I use it before any coating job, and on heavily contaminated cars. I would use it on every car I detail, but that would become costly fast. Its one of the best wheel cleaners out there, but a cheaper and equally effective option is 1Z Color Tec. It even smells like IronX
    The cost would be a concern especially on a "low end" detail unless I make it an upcharge. Car Pro is saying that you should be able to get 6-10 cars out of a 1 liter bottle; are you finding that to be true ?

Post Thanks / Like

I could get 6 small cars out of one. 6 large vehicles, no way. Even at 6 though, that`s like buying a liter of IronX every week if you stay pretty busy. A lot of it comes down to what your charging. If you can get big money for your work, then its worth it. If your getting $100 per car, you have to watch what your spending on each detail.

Post Thanks / Like

On almost all car I do I use Iron-X. The only time I don`t is if its a returning car and then I can use Iron-X snow soap to do the minor clean up. After the first major decon I find that most cars stay really clean if taken care of properly.

I can get quite a few cars out of a bottle of Iron-X. I spray on a panel and then "spread" it using a MF towel or mitt as well as agitate as needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bswombaugh View Post
    Are most of you guys using Iron-X as part of your standard decontamination procedure when claying a car ? Do you feel that the use of Iron-X is a must, or do you think the traditional Claybar/Speedy Prep towel will do a sufficient job by itself ? I haven`t been using Iron-X but am thinking about adding it to my arsenal if for nothing else than decontaminating wheels.
    There are a couple of advantages in using an iron decon product like Iron-X...

• As noted, it makes claying easier
    • It also cleans below surface contamination somewhat, which is something that clay cannot address...

If you are going to polish the car, you probably don`t "need" Iron-X as you will be removing the paint thickness that contains the contamination that Iron-X would remove. That said, I have found that using an iron decon product before polishing seems to make the polishing go smoother (and there is less risk of inflicting swirl marks from the abraded paint residue).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    There are a couple of advantages in using an iron decon product like Iron-X...

• As noted, it makes claying easier
    • It also cleans below surface contamination somewhat, which is something that clay cannot address...

If you are going to polish the car, you probably don`t "need" Iron-X as you will be removing the paint thickness that contains the contamination that Iron-X would remove. That said, I have found that using an iron decon product before polishing seems to make the polishing go smoother (and there is less risk of inflicting swirl marks from the abraded paint residue).
    So if I am claying and machine polishing then I am probably taking care of all the surface contaminants. I wonder if anyone has tried Iron-X after claying and polishing to see if there are imbedded particles that were not removed ? I want to provide the customer with the best possible result but I have to also factor the cost as well. If it really adds value then I am all for incorporating it into my process.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    On almost all car I do I use Iron-X. The only time I don`t is if its a returning car and then I can use Iron-X snow soap to do the minor clean up. After the first major decon I find that most cars stay really clean if taken care of properly.

I can get quite a few cars out of a bottle of Iron-X. I spray on a panel and then "spread" it using a MF towel or mitt as well as agitate as needed.
    I did my first Iron X on my white camaro WOW !!! alot of purple spots showed up...I used my LC wedge sponge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bswombaugh View Post
    So if I am claying and machine polishing then I am probably taking care of all the surface contaminants. I wonder if anyone has tried Iron-X after claying and polishing to see if there are imbedded particles that were not removed ? I want to provide the customer with the best possible result but I have to also factor the cost as well. If it really adds value then I am all for incorporating it into my process.
    Yes I have done this, pre and post polishing. It definitely can remove contamination after claying, but before polishing, but doesn`t offer much effect after polishing (again, because the offending layer is removed).

Thread Information