Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your wash sponge/mitt/pad

With a mitt, I always had a good intention to gently glide the mitt, but human nature takes over after the first pass and there I am, scrubbing the dirt over the paint.

With a BHB, pressure bends or flexes the long bristles and since they are about 4" long they agitate the dirt instead of pushing it.

I have black cars so I need every advantage there is to avoid swirls, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, if I can save up enough money from my paper route, I`ll get a boars hair brush.
    On my last ride I mostly did a pressure washer pre-rinse and an ONR wash with MF towels. Of course it was periodically clayed and always had a good LSP. In the winter, she mostly just got a weekly (or so) PW. After 8 years, the finish was as good or better than when I bought it. With sufficient lubricity and a nearly grit free finish, I think the MF mitt/mop will be fine.
    (btw, the paper route remark was a joke - I`m retired on a fixed income...oh wait, it`s nearly the same - LOL)

Post Thanks / Like

2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post

With......

That`ll git the rust off!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiVor View Post
    Okay, if I can save up enough money from my paper route, I`ll get a boars hair brush.
    On my last ride I mostly did a pressure washer pre-rinse and an ONR wash with MF towels. Of course it was periodically clayed and always had a good LSP. In the winter, she mostly just got a weekly (or so) PW. After 8 years, the finish was as good or better than when I bought it. With sufficient lubricity and a nearly grit free finish, I think the MF mitt/mop will be fine.
    (btw, the paper route remark was a joke - I`m retired on a fixed income...oh wait, it`s nearly the same - LOL)

Yeah, I`m also retired.

I recently got a (really) cheap pressure washer as a Christmas present and I`m incorporating it into my regimen (gotta do a thread about it sometime). Very good for the "biggest" stuff before I switch to the BHB/foamgun combo.

SOMETIMES I can go straight from that second step (with the BHB/foamgun) right to a rinseless wash, but I usually still do the mitt/foamgun just because I`m oh-so-paranoid about marring things up.

But I would *NEVER* try to wash without the foamgun providing constant lubrication and flushing, again, just me being me and as long as the paint isn`t getting marred up beyond somebody`s level of tolerance it`s all good IMO.

I just don`t see how a mop/etc. can be used without marring the paint; move it across a dirty panel and it gets dirt on it, keep moving it and you`re moving dirt across the paint. When (preferably "if") I see dirt in my rinse buckets I figure that I was rubbing my paint with a dirty wash medium (prior to rinsing it out) and to me that`s very risky.
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I live in FL so that means "me too"
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Yeah, I`m also retired.

I recently got a (really) cheap pressure washer as a Christmas present and I`m incorporating it into my regimen (gotta do a thread about it sometime). Very good for the "biggest" stuff before I switch to the BHB/foamgun combo.

SOMETIMES I can go straight from that second step (with the BHB/foamgun) right to a rinseless wash, but I usually still do the mitt/foamgun just because I`m oh-so-paranoid about marring things up.

But I would *NEVER* try to wash without the foamgun providing constant lubrication and flushing, again, just me being me and as long as the paint isn`t getting marred up beyond somebody`s level of tolerance it`s all good IMO.

I just don`t see how a mop/etc. can be used without marring the paint; move it across a dirty panel and it gets dirt on it, keep moving it and you`re moving dirt across the paint. When (preferably "if") I see dirt in my rinse buckets I figure that I was rubbing my paint with a dirty wash medium (prior to rinsing it out) and to me that`s very risky.
    I`m thinking that my `trick` is to not only do the pressure washer pre-rinse AND use foamed wash soap, but I`ll also have a no rinse product (prolly ONR) in the bucket with the wash soap (perhaps Meguars gold classic) in combo with the double bucket rinse. Frankly with a decent LSP, the pressure pre-rinse has always left my finish pretty clean - the rest is just `detailin obsession`...But I`ll be extra careful on fenders and doors where road film can be more of an issue.
    I think a mitt/mop can be used w/o marring just like MF towels can be used in a no rinse wash - it`s all in ensuring the surface is properly prepped and sufficient lubricity to cause any little remaining `dirt`/film to release very easily.
    `nuff (or more) said.
    Thanks PA DETAILER thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Question.

How much of the LSP does a pressure rinse or pressure wash remove?

It has to remove some of the LSP, since normal washing and rain diminish it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gloss View Post
    Question.

Does it? Or dies other environmental things diminish it, like sun, friction, dirt/friction?

Don;t know, but it`s an interesting question, since I really believe that anything given enough time is water soluble.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiVor View Post
    I`m thinking that my `trick` is to not only do the pressure washer pre-rinse AND use foamed wash soap, but I`ll also have a no rinse product (prolly ONR) in the bucket with the wash soap (perhaps Meguars gold classic) in combo with the double bucket rinse. Frankly with a decent LSP, the pressure pre-rinse has always left my finish pretty clean - the rest is just `detailin obsession`...But I`ll be extra careful on fenders and doors where road film can be more of an issue...
    I`d sure want to use something with much better lubricity (and as best I can tell, better encapsulation) than Meg`s GC though, I consider that stuff mediocre at bets.

I think a mitt/mop can be used w/o marring just like MF towels can be used in a no rinse wash - it`s all in ensuring the surface is properly prepped and sufficient lubricity to cause any little remaining `dirt`/film to release very easily.
    Well, I generally can`t use a rinseless wash on most unclean surfaces without (at least occasional) marring, but that`s just me.

Hey, as long as there`s no need to polish out marring, it`s all good.

Post Thanks / Like

Question.

I actually don`t find washing, let alone rain/etc. to remove an appreciable amount of LSP; not like I need to redo it every few months or anything. Guess that`d depend on the LSP though since some stuff I used to use *would* pretty much wash off....

So far, my limited pressure wash-prerinse hasn`t dented my LSPs, but I`ve only been doing it since Christmas.

Post Thanks / Like

Question.

Since running water erodes rock, I think one could conclude that under pressure, it could have a negative effect on wax/polymer LSP`s. The extent is probably relative to the pressure and duration. In any case, with a lower pressure home water system (40/60 ppsi), I think it`s worth it to blast any `crud` off.

Post Thanks / Like

MiVor- Eh, I suspect that the "water rodes rock" is a bit complicated (water alone erodes *some* rocks to a significant degree but not others, and gee...define "significant", and I`d think that stuff *in* the water often contributes to the erosion) and so the analogy just might be on the spurious side for practical purposes.

Like...rainwater, which might be acidic, has virtually zero effect on my current LSPs. I don`t have to redo the roof of the SUV even annually as it stays in "just LSPed" condition almost indefinitely.

Time will tell whether my new pressure washer regimen degrades my LSPs or not, but when I use the non-pw (but note that I have boosted water pressure anyhow) rinsing it sure did not have any discrenable effect. So I think you`re OK blasting that crud off as often as you like. Heh heh, now watch your LSP behave differently from mine and make me eat my words!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Time will tell whether my new pressure washer regimen degrades my LSPs or not, but when I use the non-pw (but note that I have boosted water pressure anyhow) rinsing it sure did not have any discrenable effect. So I think you`re OK blasting that crud off as often as you like. Heh heh, now watch your LSP behave differently from mine and make me eat my words!
    I should prolly have elaborated to say that I`ve been power washing/rinsing for years and have never noticed any surface issues (eg degrading LSP)....however, I often followed up with an ONR wash and often a Durgloss Aquawax topper. So In a sense, I was `waxing` after every wash in (somewhat) true Autopian style. So no way to determine if power washing had any negative effect at all~. (I`ll likely never know).
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

MiVor- Ah, I see we`re on the same page then.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information