Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your wash sponge/mitt/pad

Quote Originally Posted by gret View Post
    what do people think about poorboys microfiber chenille mits? Thinking of buying one of their package deals to get started on my microfibers and get away from megs microfibers
    They are very good. A little square than most mitts, medium density noodles so not that heavy, with a softer and more durable cuff.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I`m just a novice but I think the process is more important than the sponge or mitt. For instance, a good power rinse first to get the extry crud off. Then a good soap/foam layer to dwell some. Then almost any sponge/mitt/towel super saturated in sudsy wash water. Then there`s the two bucket method...or better still, the dirty sponge/mitt/towel never sees the wash water again. I like the idea of using two buckets, but the one bucket is wash water for multiple microfiber towels or mitts. The second bucket just has APC/water and as the fresh towels/mitts are used, they are tossed in the cleaning bucket. No need to worry about any grit getting back to the finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiVor View Post
    I`m just a novice but I think the process is more important than the sponge or mitt. For instance, a good power rinse first to get the extry crud off. Then a good soap/foam layer to dwell some. Then almost any sponge/mitt/towel super saturated in sudsy wash water. Then there`s the two bucket method...or better still, the dirty sponge/mitt/towel never sees the wash water again. I like the idea of using two buckets, but the one bucket is wash water for multiple microfiber towels or mitts. The second bucket just has APC/water and as the fresh towels/mitts are used, they are tossed in the cleaning bucket. No need to worry about any grit getting back to the finish.
    I will disagree here

Some mitts etc are actually sewn with fishing line (nylon) and not finished well. (cheap micro towels too)

This can scratch the paint. As well as some have cuffs/seams that are exposed
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Your wash sponge/mitt/pad

I have a decent supply of wash mitts. I have the Dodo Wookies Fist, the Griot`s Wash Pad, some PBMG noodle mitts, BMWs SheepSkin mitt, some PBMG`s old SheepSkin pad, JunkMans Green AutoZone mitt ( for wheels), and probably some others I can`t think of.

My favorite all around is the BMW sheepskin mitt - the length of the "hair" is just perfect for washing and easy maintenance.

The Dodo one is nice - but you have to comb it out like it`s some type of lady or something and it takes forever to dry. It also has to be hung propped open to dry - or it can rot. It also has to be hand washed and takes forever to get soap out of.

The Griot`s wash pad is too big for a car - but good for a truck. The noodle mitts from AG are pretty nice and can just be washed with your towels. AutoZone mitts - forget about it on your paint.

Sponges are great for cleaning dishes.

Post Thanks / Like

The Junkman recommended green chenille style mitt worked fine with zero issues for me. I also have every Microfiber Madness wash media in existence (mitt, sponge, pad) and those are quite nice. But my new wash media is a blonde bhb with foam gun combo for dirty cars, and for the "not do dirty" wash I use the Garry Dean Air Injection "Rinseless Wash." It`s my go to wash technique now. Use premium microfiber towels in this method, about 6 per car.
    "Courage is being afraid but saddling up anyways." - John Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    I will disagree here

Some mitts etc are actually sewn with fishing line (nylon) and not finished well. (cheap micro towels too)

This can scratch the paint. As well as some have cuffs/seams that are exposed
    It is unlikely that any nylon thread (I have a Meguiars wash brush [versa angle wide body brush] which is made from synthetic fiber) or inexpensive microfiber towel is more abrasive than attached road grit. My point was that the key is having sufficient lubricity in the wash media and not `sanding` the surface with aggressive pressure. Additionally, a procedure so as not to reintroduce abrasive grit back to the finish.

Reviewed: Meguiar's Versa-Angle Wide Body Brush
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

It is unlikely that any nylon thread (I have a Meguiars wash brush [versa angle wide body brush] which is made from synthetic fiber) or inexpensive microfiber towel is more abrasive than attached road grit. My point was that the key is having sufficient lubricity in the wash media and not `sanding` the surface with aggressive pressure. Additionally, a procedure so as not to reintroduce abrasive grit back to the finish.

Reviewed: Meguiar's Versa-Angle Wide Body Brush
    You mean a nylon brush that`s been discontinued?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

That review was from 2005

If you must use a brush, may I suggest

Montana Original 10 inch Boar`s Hair Car Wash Brush & Telescopic Handle.

Post Thanks / Like

Shurhold Swivel Pad & Lambs Wool Cover Combo, lambswool cleaning pad is a nice choice for a "mop on a stick" option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by addysdaddy View Post
    Shurhold Swivel Pad & Lambs Wool Cover Combo, lambswool cleaning pad is a nice choice for a "mop on a stick" option.
    cool

never saw that before

Post Thanks / Like

I believe a soaked quality boar brush (becomes crazy soft just like your quality shaving brush) used in conjunction with a foam gun makes for the most gentle method of washing. I have used wool mitts, microfiber chenille, microfiber madness wash media...all worked ok... But this BHB/Foam gun method takes the cake.

Thanks Accumalator. I was skeptical at first, but now a convert.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Nylon brushes scratch clear coat paint. This could be why:

1. Meg`s d/c`ed this brush.

2. No real detailer uses a nylon brush to wash a car.

3. Even quality wheel brushes are boar`s hair.

Your wash media does matter. However, there is no magic wash media. There are many safe choices - including a boar`s hair Montana brush on a pole.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    cool

never saw that before
    I use it when detailing SUV or other large vehicles. Because of the construction, I`m able to use the standard 2BW method with grit guards so the mop head stays clean during the washing process.

Post Thanks / Like

I use two methods.

If my car is very dirty, I use a strong stream pre-rinse followed by foam, a soak and rinse.
    A soap bucket and a rinse bucket along with a boar`s hair brush (no handle) to sweep away the dirt
    and grime.

If my car is slightly dirty, a soap bucket and rinse bucket, two natural sponges and high lubricity soap.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information