Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: how often to wash your car!

In the winter I usually count on a good protection to get me through some long months of possibly no washing. Id rather not scratch it up or freeze to death so winter washes don`t happen much. in the warmer times I like to wash my car every week, but mostly can only manage to make time for once every 2 weeks. After washing I like to keep it clean with some good WW or detail pray depending on if it isn`t too dirty for a WW.

Post Thanks / Like

I clean my car once a week just about but I do have a dirty little secret, I only clean the wheels about every third or fourth wash even though they get the dirtiest the fastest. Yeah the dirty wheels dont look great with a clean car but oh well.

I only pull out the buckets once a month usually so that is when the wheels get cleaned, the rest of the time its a waterless wash.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in your type of climate. This is JMO but I don`t care to wash too often or too big of an interval between washings. I wash mine about once every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks at a wand type or touchless car wash when it starts to melt. Too cold for bucket and hose all winter. We also had a a long deep freeze and when it is that cold and dry with no sloppy roads I even go as much as a month. My opinion is if the salt is dried on the car it is not as volatile as when it is damp and wet. Once I have it washed at a wand type car wash if time and temp allows I will sometime warm up the garage and use a rinseless type wash or a detail spray to finish getting the film of grime that is usually left behind from the car wash.

As far as waxing get a coat on before the cold starts, I usually do a second coat to make sure I got the coverage. I have had good luck the last 2 winters with Finish Kare FK1000p and seem to make it the long winter. Hope this helps.

Dean.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    As often as you can can, although dirty (well protected) paint is better than improperly washed (and scratched) paint.
    So very true.

I wash my car as often as it gets dirty, which can vary from once every two weeks to every other day (its a garage queen that gets road trip duties from time to time).

My truck (daily driver and outside 24/7), I spray off every two or three days with just water and drive away. Black label coating and air does the rest. Then just a wipe down and touch up here and there when I get to work.

Over a year living in this house and I have never seen my neighbors washing vehicles, but they sure seem to mow their grass a lot.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

I wash mine just about every other day. Mainly when I get home from 24 hour shifts. Just do a rinseless.

Post Thanks / Like

I am also in MA. I like using the coin op pressure washer when it`s below freezing. I just use the rinse water don`t use the soap at all. It gets some of the salt off the car. Then when it gets above freezing I`ll hand wash it. I can usually wash it 3 or 4 times a month in the winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobwax View Post
    in Massachusetts, we have had a killer winter. tons of salt on the road. after my reading, i think that hand washing is still the most gentle way to wash your car. even touch free washes MAY use harsh chemicals.

i also hear that salt from the road is very bad for your paint, and underneath the car.

so, in a tough winter, how often should i wash my car?
    how often to wax it?

i use pinnacle liquid sourverain wax.

THANK YOU!
    bob
    I prefer the touch free car washes because I just simply don`t have much time to wash it myself. So for me, visiting a local car wash that has a great car wash system (MacNeil Wash Systems, Ryko Car Wash Systems or Wash Systems | Wash Equipment by Washworld), is a better option for me.

It is recommended that you wax your car once or twice a year to prevent any damage to your car`s clear coat. You can actually do more damage to your vehicle`s finish by NOT washing at all because acid rain and other pollutants in the air resting on your finish will corrode the clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TacoHerder View Post
    After washing I like to keep it clean with some good WW or detail pray
    I pray alot, for my car especially when it rains or in a parking lot

Post Thanks / Like

The Mazdaspeed 3 gets a rinseless wash about every other drive (or twice a month, if that).

The Tahoe gets a boars hair/pressure wash about once per week...

The beater Toyota gets a boars hair/pressure wash about once per month (along side the toyota)...

The Ninja gets a traditional wash about twice a year, a rinseless wash if it gets stuck in the rain, and a waterless wash about twice a month...

The Goldwing gets a traditional wash 6 times a year and a waterless wash before its ridden (if its too dusty)...

Post Thanks / Like

The Mazdaspeed 3 gets a rinseless wash about every other drive (or twice a month, if that).

The Tahoe gets a boars hair/pressure wash about once per week...

The beater Toyota gets a boars hair/pressure wash about once per month (along side the toyota)...

The Ninja gets a traditional wash about twice a year, a rinseless wash if it gets stuck in the rain, and a waterless wash about twice a month...

The Goldwing gets a traditional wash 6 times a year and a waterless wash before its ridden (if its too dusty)...
    How many rides u got?m. .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi65 View Post
    How many rides u got?m. .
    Technically 6... smh...

Post Thanks / Like

Technically 6... smh...
    But 7 vehicles are living at the house right now... it`s outta hand.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as my neighbors are concerned, every day
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

A good traditional wash every 3 month. A waterless or rinseless wash every 3 weeks or so.
    2014 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech
    2014 Acura MDX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    As far as my neighbors are concerned, every day
    haha! So true... my neighbors think the same thing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information