Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How Mike washes a car

Why on earth would anyone care how a neurotic, obsessive-compulsive, fat guy washes a car? Yeah, pretty much how I feel, too. But I made the @#$% video anyway. Enjoy.

Questions (and otherwise) welcome.
    Thanks Stokdgs, GearHead_1, Rod73, Jaddie, Merlin and 3 others thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Mike washes a car

Excellent foam, what soap? CG?
    Likes mjlinane liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

First foam is 2 oz CG CW + 1 oz OPC + water in reservoir. Second is 2 oz Carpro IronX Snow Soap.
    Likes Jaddie liked this post
    Thanks The Driver thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

You more nutso than me.

That`s tough to do.

Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, could smell the Iron X in the second round - I was off-frame the entire time watching the master foamer. Was hoping for the CG shaving cream but that was not the case.
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I like it! this old fat guy still likes his long handled boar`s hair brush for his pick up. what`s the psi of your pressure washer mike? that was a seriously nice foam blanket you laid down.

Post Thanks / Like

Sir, you are not fat.

And I gotta admit, I`m a bit jealous. Those are some comfortable looking pants!!

Joking aside, that`s a nice process. Thanks for taking the time to make the video and sharing. I know how much work can go into making one.
    Likes Jaddie, mjlinane liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    Why on earth would anyone care how a neurotic, obsessive-compulsive, fat guy washes a car?
    Hey, I resemble that remark or resent or I mean both!

Just kidding. You ain`t got nothin` on me. I wish I had that set up but then I wouldn`t have the ambition to use it if I did.
    Dean.
    Likes mjlinane, Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome thanks for making a video, lots little things to pick up on. I`m assuming those towels were just soaking in wash solution? How many wash towels to finish the car?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the education, Mike!
    —  Jaddie

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav. (mine)
    2016 Ford Escape Titanium (hers)

Post Thanks / Like

As senior Autopian I luv this video OCD at its best.... on the pants at least yours are not coming apart, my wife says I embarrass her with mine

THANK YOU !!!!
    There’s a place in the brain for knowing what cannot be remembered.
    Likes mjlinane, Rod73 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all.

The title really should have been "One way Mike washes a car". This was recorded on Sat and was done this way (obviously). On Sun, did 3 other cars - a 2011 `Vette Grand Sport, a 2010 Lexus IS250 and my DD, a 2011 Hyundai Sonata - and not 1 was done exactly this way. The other giveaway is that I also have videos on Rinseless Washing and Waterless Washing.

The `Vette was rather clean (a garage queen) and was in to be spruced up (no correction). So it got the first rinse and stripping foam but went straight into the modified GDPWM followed by "claying". (It then got PBW Black Hole, Prima Banana Gloss (thanks Ray) and OPT Car Wax.) The Lexus was absolutely filthy but it was noon and sunny and hot so didn`t want to use PW. It got a heavy ONR rinseless followed by "claying" (and DP Polycoat). My Sonata was dirty from a week`s worth of rain and Central TX road grime/cement and, late in the afternoon, got the rinse, foamed with OPT Car Wash + ONR and then the modified GDPWM followed by drying with Dodo Juice Future Armor as drying aid. NOTE - for the 2, I used my smaller (1700 psi 1.8 gal/min) electric PW. It doesn`t make the shaving cream style foam but was all I needed.

I am a firm believer in that there is no "one size fits all" that is perfect for every situation - and anyone who says different is trying to sell you something. The best tool a detailer has is his/her brain. Evaluate each situation and adapt as necessary.

One other tip I picked up from my shaving adventures: soak the boars hair brush for 10-20 min prior to use. It will soften the bristles and also make the bristles last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    what`s the psi of your pressure washer mike? that was a seriously nice foam blanket you laid down.
    I have 3. That was a 3100 psi 2.8 gal/min electric start gasoline powered one. I also have a 3000 psi 2.8 gal/min no electric start that I haven`t use since I got the electric start model. I also have a 1700 psi 1.8 gal/min electric unit that is quicker setup/teardown and quieter.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Sir, you are not fat.

And I gotta admit, I`m a bit jealous. Those are some comfortable looking pants!!

Joking aside, that`s a nice process. Thanks for taking the time to make the video and sharing. I know how much work can go into making one.
    Appreciate that - even wish it were true.

Comfortable clothes that you don`t mind becoming permanently stained are important to me when detailing. Have ruined several nice shirts cleaning unruly BMW wheels.

Yeah, editing that video took 2 hours. I didn`t think too many would watch anyway but certainly not if it were 30 min.

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    Awesome thanks for making a video, lots little things to pick up on. I`m assuming those towels were just soaking in wash solution? How many wash towels to finish the car?
    Correct, the bucket has a normal strength mix of CG CWC.

For a normal size, not too filthy car - 2. Quartered gives you 8 sides. Hood (2) + roof (2) + rear + front + driver front QP + driver door + driver rear door + driver rear QP + pass front QP + pass door + pass rear door + pass rear QP = 15 with one side left for glass. Larger and/or dirtier means need more towels. I try to go in the same pattern every time so I don`t actually have to remember if I`ve used all of the sides yet. Also work top to bottom (bottom being dirtiest) and things like mirrors or other places that are difficult to polish first with a clean side.
    Thanks KBsToy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am a firm believer in that there is no "one size fits all" that is perfect for every situation - and anyone who says different is trying to sell you something. The best tool a detailer has is his/her brain. Evaluate each situation and adapt as necessary.

As a weekend detailer no truer words. I always read, listen to advice but when it comes to detailing my toys each one is done differently.....
    There’s a place in the brain for knowing what cannot be remembered.

Post Thanks / Like

I had not seen the trick to use the brush to clean the seams while the foam is on the paint.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I had not seen the trick to use the brush to clean the seams while the foam is on the paint.
    I`m pretty sure I hadn`t either, but I`ll definitely be using it here and there.

BTW, nice video mjlinane.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.
    Thanks mjlinane thanked for this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information