Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommend best car shampoo?

I don`t use buckets at all,just strictly a foam gun and I eyeball the amount I`m using without issues. I have Griots and Dura gloss now and have used the 3D. I would recommend it to anyone
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Recommend best car shampoo?

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    When people say some shampoo is "not good", but don`t offer specifics, well....I wonder "why does he feel that way?"

Griot`s and 3D terrible?.
    Griot`s just felt to me like there was little to nothing in the water. There was no lube or bubbles to it. It just felt week. I`m not too sure I believe when people post about "cleaning power" of soaps. But, Griot`s soap just didn`t seem to have much going for it. It just felt cheap.

Accumulator, don`t you mix Griot`s soap with something? I dunno, but I`m not using a soap I have to mix with something.

This is prolly a silly discussion - as I am guessing most these soaps are 95% similar. But, perception is reality. If something feels cheap - it is cheap.

I`m not trying 3Ds soap because I have enough soap to last me until the grave. Quite frankly, it doesn`t seem to offer much hat we haven`t seen before according to reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Griot`s just felt to me like there was little to nothing in the water. There was no lube or bubbles to it. It just felt week. I`m not too sure I believe when people post about "cleaning power" of soaps. But, Griot`s soap just didn`t seem to have much going for it. It just felt cheap. ..
    Wow, that is....just completely different from my experiences with it (over 25 years or so). I honestly wonder if you got a bad bottle. Mine has such great lubricity that I add it to the 3D pink for that reason.
    Accumulator, don`t you mix Griot`s soap with something? I dunno, but I`m not using a soap I have to mix with something.
    I mix it with the 3D Pink. The GG adds lubricity and the Pink cleans a little better (just IME). I was happy with the GG straight, but it`s pricey compared to a 5gallon pail of the 3D.
    This is prolly a silly discussion - as I am guessing most these soaps are 95% similar. But, perception is reality. If something feels cheap - it is cheap.
    I don`t think it`s a silly topic as I credit better shampoos with *drastically* improving my results...utterly amazed me.

I`m not trying 3Ds soap because I have enough soap to last me until the grave..
    Heh heh, you sound like me talking about anything *except* shampoo

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Hey, so our experiences differ....I still like talking shampoos.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D
    I don`t use buckets at all,just strictly a foam gun and I eyeball the amount I`m using without issues. I have Griots and Dura gloss now and have used the 3D. I would recommend it to anyone..
    I`m still using rinse/shampoo buckets despite being so foamgun centric, but then my vehicles get a lot dirtier than yours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kacz View Post
    I personally don`t worry about cost...
    You might oughta try Ultima. I`m so impressed with 1) reviews by people I respect and 2) its cost, that I`m afraid to try it
    Just to note: my opinions are based on maintenance washing.
    As are mine, and my vehicles can get *dirty*.

Rinsing and lubricity are the most important factors to me. That`s why I am surprised that you have issues rinsing it. It`s hard to explain and I`m sure you will know what I`m talking about, but sometimes you can just tell which ones stand out--just by using it.
    I think we`re on the same page, and I agree how this stuff can be hard to verbalize.

.. I`m under the impression that water hardness doesn`t affect much except suds...and if you`re worried about suds, you just add more...
    My previous shop had hard water while my current shop has soft. The rinsing was different and in weird ways- the hard water rinsed away the suds better but the soft water leaves things seeming "rinsed cleaner". Part of that might be how I have to rinse more/longer with the soft though.

..I was probably a little crabby yesterday when I wrote the word `terrible`. It`s really a bad word when we all know you can work with a lot of these detailing products and get desired results. What I should have said is that they (3D/HD and GG) are no where near my favorites and I have had mixed results with all of them...
    No worries..hey, I probably came across as defensive (heh heh.."what, my gallons and gallons of shampoo are all [crap]?!?")

I`ve never had mixed results from AMMO, Adam`s, Optimum, Garry Dean`s, Gyeon, etc... There was something about these shampoos (3D/GG) that seemed like they didn`t offer the slickness that others do and I`m very open minded when I use all products. (I also try to use a specific product multiple times before I form an opinion) HD wash didn`t want to rinse away...
    Hey, if something`s a PIA to rinse off I wouldn`t like it either Tell me, of the ones available in gallons (I use *a lot* per wash), which shampoo do you like best?

It`s my opinion though, so I`m not trying to argue with you. I`m actually curious on how exactly you use them and I`ll give it another shot.
    My foamgun-centric approach might be a real wildcard here, besides just needing to buy in bulk. My current approach is: ~3.5oz Griot`s + ~3.5oz 3D Pink + ~121oz water; fill foamguns with that, use two strongest foamgun dilution setttings.

Post Thanks / Like

3D`s shampoos are terrible IMO

So is GG Car Wash or whatever it`s called.

Hands down best overall shampoo with performance and cost figured in is Optimum Car Wash. There are a bunch of shampoos that you couldn`t tell apart if you take the color and smell away anyways. All the top shampoos are interchangable.

I have literally tried over 80% of the Shampoos that are easily accessible to us in the states. I think I have around 70 in my closet right now.
    How does Meg`s Hyper wash stack up in your opinion?

Post Thanks / Like

You might oughta try Ultima. I`m so impressed with 1) reviews by people I respect and 2) its cost, that I`m afraid to try it
    Not completely impressed with Ultima—doesn’t want to rinse away nicely. (both 2BM and foam gun) Also, it doesn’t seem too slick for me either. It’s grabby for me with every wash media I have. (zymol sponge, meguiars MF mitt, MF Madness Incredimitt, standard synthetic wool pad)

Plus it irritates my skin.

As are mine, and my vehicles can get *dirty*.

I think we`re on the same page, and I agree how this stuff can be hard to verbalize.
    Mine don’t get too dirty…mostly because I do sometimes clean panels here and there with rinse-less washes as well. When I’m bored or if I have 15-20m to spare, I’ll go clean the hood nicely, or front bumper, etc…yeah I’m weird.

My previous shop had hard water while my current shop has soft. The rinsing was different and in weird ways- the hard water rinsed away the suds better but the soft water leaves things seeming "rinsed cleaner". Part of that might be how I have to rinse more/longer with the soft though.
    Interesting and noted.

No worries..hey, I probably came across as defensive (heh heh.."what, my gallons and gallons of shampoo are all [crap]?!?")
    Yeah that’s not what I meant, so I apologize for the word ‘terrible’. Nothing seems to be too terrible except Chemical Guys’ Glass Cleaners….crap I did it again. J

Hey, if something`s a PIA to rinse off I wouldn`t like it either Tell me, of the ones available in gallons (I use *a lot* per wash), which shampoo do you like best?
    Probably Optimum’s Car Wash would be my top choice for recommendations.

Garry Deans The Perfect Soap: Only used it twice so far. Loved it both times, but didn’t quite test it. (only have the, I think, 8oz bottle)

Adam’s New formula Shampoo (Old Formula was just as good if not better than Optimum IMO), I liked it, but I’m not sure if I love it—the new formula. The old formula to me was flawless, but I haven’t used the new formula enough to get a good feel yet.

Poorboys Super Slick and Suds: Just recently bought this one and have used it a handful of times. I liked it a lot, but haven’t put it to the tests yet.

Meguiar’s Hyper Wash- Just a great all around performer.

My foamgun-centric approach might be a real wildcard here, besides just needing to buy in bulk. My current approach is: ~3.5oz Griot`s + ~3.5oz 3D Pink + ~121oz water; fill foamguns with that, use two strongest foamgun dilution setttings.
    Oh ok, so a mix. I’ve never really thought about mixing shampoos, maybe I’ll try it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4u2nvinmtl View Post
    How does Meg`s Hyper wash stack up in your opinion?
    I would recommend it to anyone. All around great performer.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Recommend best car shampoo?

Accumulator, I don`t *think* I ever posted the last statement you have attributed to me. For one, I don`t think I`ve ever spelled Duragloss as ""Dura gloss". I don`t "eyeball" my soaps either.

Anyway, no big deal. Basically, most soaps are pretty decent - some stand out as great. My Griot`s experience was from an 8oz bottle I got at Advance Auto Parts and a 4oz sample of their wash n wax I got at Detail Fest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    My statement was comparative. I have used lots of soaps and some rinse so cleanly and quickly. It is not a deal breaker. As I said, it has been a favorite.
    What is your personal favorite?

Both cost conscious and not.

Post Thanks / Like

Some underrated IMO, `not mentioned a lot` shampoos:
    1Z Einszett Gloss Shampoo
    Auto Finesse Lather Car Shampoo
    Prima Hydro Wash
    PRIMA HYDRO WASH is a great soap for maintaining a hydro max finish. Again, i have used quite a few over the years, and hyper wash is a stand out. Very good in the foam gun and bucket. And the dilution ratio is a money saver.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Swanicyouth- Ah, OK...guess I`m getting mixed up trying to reply a bit too quickly

Kacz- Thanks for the detailed explanations!

That`s funny about the Ultima`s rinsing, maybe it gets back to the water or some other wildcard variable. And I agree, if something irritates your skin use something else! (note that I wear gloves anyhow..)

Optimum`s Car Wash always seems to get good reviews, so hey..if that`s working then that`s that

Post Thanks / Like

Did a wash tonight with 3d Wash and Wax. $18 a gallon is a nice price.
    Has nice lubricity. I can`t determine how well it cleans yet since washing my Explorer recently coated with FK1000 nothing sticks to it.
    It rinses off nicely too.
    Looks like I`ll be buying a gallon of 3D Pink that Accumulator suggested.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnF350 View Post
    ..Looks like I`ll be buying a gallon of 3D Pink that Accumulator suggested.
    As with the FK1000P, I`ll be interested in how it works for you and I hope my recommendation doesn`t turn out to be waste of your money.

Post Thanks / Like

Since Vega was nice enough to put some soaps on sale for Spring detailing I thought I would revive this thread and say that my new favorite is Ultima Paint Guard. It`s a little pricy but it`s concentrated so you can use less. It`s great for coated cars because it rinses clean. Just use the recommended amount in your foam gun and it will produce an amazing amount of suds. I prefer it to CarPro Reset on coated vehicles due to the sheer volume of foam, and it looks like it provides more lubrication to keep the swirls away.
    Likes RaysWay liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    ..my new favorite is Ultima Paint Guard. It`s a little pricy but it`s concentrated so you can use less..
    With the exception of Kacz, it sSeems that *EVERYBODY* who tried the Ultima loves it.

How did you find its lubricity and rinsing? (There are a few potential wildcard-variables that might explain differing experiences with it, but ever since Kacz posted his lukewarm take on the Ultma I`ve been keeping a closer eye on the topic.)

Post Thanks / Like

Both lubricating and rinsing are top notch. The wool mitt I use just glides over the paint and after rinsing there is no film that I can see or feel left. Of course the coating probably helps with the rinsing properties. I think it would be difficult to say there is a better wash media than Ultima if you are looking for one that leaves nothing behind. DoDo Supernatural Soap is good but it does not have the same lubricating properties of Ultima. Ultima just seems to be more concentrated than any other soap I have used.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information