Post Thanks / Like

Paint Cleaner comparison/suggestion?

I originally posted this question on the Detailing Products Reviews board under an Ultima review. I didnt get a response. I think because it may have been inappropriate to ask this question under a product review? (I appologize if this was the case).

1) I have topical water spots and I am hoping that one of the paint cleansers out there may be able to remove them or at least make them look substantially better. (I believe they are topical because I have completely removed them with swirl-x and Meguiars water spot remover, but they both left slight marring). I realize that the cleanser will not also protect, and I will have to put a wax or sealant over it. I also realize that a non-abrasive cleanser will not be able to remove embedded particles like a good clay bar would.

Maybe I am mistaken in believing that a hand applied non-abrasive cleanser will induce less marring than swirl-x?

I also think that the micro marring removal that people have experienced with Ultima is due to the applicator more than the product. Would this be correct?

2) I would also like to use which ever product you recommend when it is time for me to reapply a sealant, as a great base for it. Again, I realize that if the finish needs to be clayed than the cleanser wont be able to remedy that.

So which of these products (KAIO, GPS, BF, WG & Pinnacle Cleansers, 1Z, Sonus, Ultima, & Four Starr) do you think would best suit my needs when applied by hand? Thanks for your help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint Cleaner comparison/suggestion?

I wouldn`t use it by hand if I had a choice, but KAIO is the strongest cleaner, non abrasive

Post Thanks / Like

Poorboys Pro-Polish is a very good chemical based polish that has never let me down on removing water spots. If your doing this by hand that`s going to take a lot of time just saying.

Once that`s done then protection is going to be needed!
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

i like bfgep. it not only has good cleaning ability(non abrasive) but it can help with some filling ability for minor defects.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses! What are the chances these products will induce micro marring (by hand) like the swirl-x did?

I am going to give it a shot by hand first, but if I end up going the pad route, which pad is most suggested? I hear the white pad with a PC most often, should I start with this one or a less aggresive one first?

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Technique (pressure, applicator used such as foam or microfiber) can a big factor in getting swirl free results even with non-abrasive cleaning product. It could be too much pressure, not working it enough or working a large area, applicators that are not clean, how you buff it off, etc.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Bunky,

So you are saying it is possible to use them without micro marring though correct?

With the swirl-X I used a new micro fiber (although cheaper one) after I washed and dried the car. The area was small, maybe 4 inches by 4 inches. And if I understand swirl-x correctly, the new Meguiars formulas do not break down more as you use them like the old formulas did. So I wasnt really worried about trying to ensure the product was worked long enough. I think that is may be almost impossible to use swirl-x by hand, on a black car without causing micro marring... Maybe I am wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sullivette View Post
    Bunky,

So you are saying it is possible to use them without micro marring though correct?

With the swirl-X I used a new micro fiber (although cheaper one) after I washed and dried the car. The area was small, maybe 4 inches by 4 inches. And if I understand swirl-x correctly, the new Meguiars formulas do not break down more as you use them like the old formulas did. So I wasnt really worried about trying to ensure the product was worked long enough. I think that is may be almost impossible to use swirl-x by hand, on a black car without causing micro marring... Maybe I am wrong?
    I have super soft Toyota Black. I have used Scratch-X by hand with a foam pad and recieved marr free results. Light pressure seems to be the key for me. I would try foam applicators.

Thread Information