Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Drying (blower or towels)?

For a home wash/dry, is it okay to use a dedicated leaf blower like Toro to dry?Or is it better to (wash) and dry using quality microfiber drying towels?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drying (blower or towels)?

Quote Originally Posted by mrshanno View Post
    For a home wash/dry, is it okay to use a dedicated leaf blower like Toro to dry?Or is it better to (wash) and dry using quality microfiber drying towels?
    Simple answer = Both

Neither will do a complete job alone
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ron is correct.

I will share my journey.

When I started out I used some waffle weave towels. It worked well and got the job done. I then got a deal on an electic leaf blower and started using it in conjunction with my WW towels. Over time and quite a bit of research I stepped up to the MasterBlaster blower to replace my leaf blower. The amount of air it moves is quite a bit more while also being heated and filtered making it safer. I know use my MasterBlaster to do the majority of the drying and then follow up with a WW towel to get in any cracks or crevices that still hold water.

It may be a little expensive and overkill but I love it. It also allows me to use less WW towels, so I only need to have a few on hand when I am wash a fleet of cars. As I like to have and use a new clean towel on each car.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys...I`m not quite ready to step up to a Master Blaster...I wonder if an electric Toro leaf blower will be ok or does it need a filter for the air?

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I would stay away from something like a leaf blower. It could pick up debris in the air then blast them against your paint. I know its minor but I always like to play it on the safe side.

I would stick to using fresh clean microfiber or pick up a device that filters the air like the Metro sidekick, Air Force or Master Blaster.

The side kick is great as it is small, does not break the bank, and can be used to blast all the areas around lights, door handles, mirrors etc. this is a great companion to microfiber.
    Thomas Kehlenbeck
    Aggressive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Both, and in the order you`ve written them. Done it this way for over a decade and it works, pure and simple. I use a gasoline blower. Any worries are totally unfounded.

Post Thanks / Like

it all depends too..well if you had lots of time and want to do a through detailing then i would go for blower it will go through each crevasse. I usually dont get that much of a time so i use towel. But also blower would take time too
    Lexus Rx300

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I have used MF towels for drying. I never thought of using my leaf blower until I read it on here late November. I have a Shop Vac brand that is a dual purpose vacuum/blower in one and I am going to try it next spring when it warms up, it has a filter on it so it should work without worry. I have read about the possibility of sucking up dirt and blowing it on the paint but never heard of dirt floating around in the air that would be heavy enough to cause damage and don`t think dust will damage paint either although you may suck up a fly but that should only splat the paint provided he is not smeared all over blades, LOL! I just can`t see spending well over $300 just to blow a car off, but then I have spent that kind of money on dumber things. I think owning the Master Blaster would be a different story if I was taking care of a fleet of cars but I can only afford one so just can`t see shelling out that kind of dough. JMO.

Dean.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

I did not have much luck with the leaf blower but recently saw a mod to one that shorten the exhaust so it can be more precise in direction.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I always use the leaf blower. It is dedicated to the car and I bought an attachment specifically drying the car. Works great. But as others have said you still need to follow up spots with a good WW towel.

2015 Nissan Pathfinder, Platinum
    2012 Fiat 500 Sport
    2010 Mazda CX-7 iSport
    2000 Nissan Frontier XE

"Life`ll Kill Ya" - Warren Zevon

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

$70 cordless black and decker leaf blower I keep in trunk for me....then MF.....works perfect....
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Toro electric leaf blower followed with an Adams Great White towel. Someone mentioned an attachment for specifically drying a car. Where would you find this??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bicycle View Post
    I use a Toro electric leaf blower followed with an Adams Great White towel. Someone mentioned an attachment for specifically drying a car. Where would you find this??
    Google Air Wand

2015 Nissan Pathfinder, Platinum
    2012 Fiat 500 Sport
    2010 Mazda CX-7 iSport
    2000 Nissan Frontier XE

"Life`ll Kill Ya" - Warren Zevon

Post Thanks / Like

I still use a water blade just to move the major area`s of water off the car.
    Next I use the master blaster to blow off all excess an get all the cracks an crevices.
    After that it`s time for the waffle weave towel to get the rest.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you use a leaf blower? Sure.

Is it better then a Metro? No way IMO.

When you use a leaf blower you are blowing unfiltered air over the paint at a high rate of speed. Any "damage" is not likely to be noticeable for years, but you are sand blasting the paint to some degree. If you drive your car on an expressway you will notice the damage of grit moving of your car at 70-80 mph after a few months. The paint becomes pitted and blasted. Now imagine that air moving at 180-225 mph.

I would surmise that you are causing damage to your paint, although it will likely take some time and before it becomes noticeable. Once I used the Master Blaster I fell in love with it and the way it works. The fact that I know I am protecting my paint from extra damage (considering how much it faces due to just regular use) is a bonus.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information