Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fine Or Medium

Post Thanks / Like

Fine Or Medium

I will be ordering either the speedy prep towel or the nanoskin autoscrub wash mitt and was trying to decide on which grade. After doing some searching it seems that the overall consensus was to go with the fine grade. I detail as a side job so I see some pretty contaminated paint 80% of the time and the other 20% the contamination isn`t so bad. My thought process was to go with the medium grade to make sure I am getting everything off the paint before I go to the polishing stage. Thoughts?

Also anyone have any input as to which one I should go with between the speedy prep towel or the nanoskin autoscrub wash mitt?

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fine Or Medium

If you plan on polishing it`s not going to matter if you marr the paint or not. But if you just want to do a simple wax then fine grade is the best choice.
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I would lean towards the fine grade towel for personal use. But if you are doing customer cars that are possible trashed then maybe consider the medium.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DP 08 GXP View Post
    I will be ordering either the speedy prep towel or the nanoskin autoscrub wash mitt and was trying to decide on which grade. After doing some searching it seems that the overall consensus was to go with the fine grade. I detail as a side job so I see some pretty contaminated paint 80% of the time and the other 20% the contamination isn`t so bad. My thought process was to go with the medium grade to make sure I am getting everything off the paint before I go to the polishing stage. Thoughts?

Also anyone have any input as to which one I should go with between the speedy prep towel or the nanoskin autoscrub wash mitt?

Thanks!!
    If you are going to polish the paint AND you are detailing professionally, then I would go with the medium grade selections.

Not only are they faster (time is money) but since you are polishing the paint, then the increased risk of marring is negligible. However if you are working on a car that you will not be polishing, then it may make sense to have a fine grade on hand as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. I think I will be going with the medium grade. Any input as to which is better between the towel and wash mitt?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. I think I will be going with the medium grade. Any input as to which is better between the towel and wash mitt?
    They perform very similarly. It`s preference. The mitt stays on your hand better, but ultimately I prefer the towel.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Todd. Anybody else have any opinions?

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t have the mitt, but I like my towel. Speeds up claying time considerably. I have the fine grade.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just like in clay bars, I always have both on hand because you will need one when the time arises to the occasion.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    Just like in clay bars, I always have both on hand because you will need one when the time arises to the occasion.
    Angelo hit the nail on the head. I agree. I started out with the medium grade when they were released and have since picked up the fine and use both frequently.
    Paul Sparks

Distinctive Auto Detailing

Indianapolis IN 46234

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Distin...70659146390192

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    If you are going to polish the paint AND you are detailing professionally, then I would go with the medium grade selections.

Not only are they faster (time is money) but since you are polishing the paint, then the increased risk of marring is negligible. However if you are working on a car that you will not be polishing, then it may make sense to have a fine grade on hand as well.
    I agree with Todd. If the car is in great shape the fine grade towel is used. some cars have painted trim above the tires. I use the medium grade towel to quickly remove the contaminants around those areas.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the 6" nanoskin disk for my DA - it`s a wow and would highly recommend it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by addysdaddy View Post
    I bought the 6" nanoskin disk for my DA - it`s a wow and would highly recommend it.
    What speed are you using it on?

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    They perform very similarly. It`s preference. The mitt stays on your hand better, but ultimately I prefer the towel.
    I like the towel! I use the medium grade one. Even if I`m doing a simple wax the one step paint cleaner I use will take care of the marring

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!!
    be advised if dealing with heavily contaminated paint the clay bar replacement products likely will leave a little something behind. there is another active thread going over this. but ultimately it does save time (as opposed to just going at it with clay).
    Bryan
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com
    Instagram @MrSparkleDetailing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information