Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Wax vs Sealant, Which is Better for UV Protection

Hey Gang, I got two DD`s one a dark blue wagon that`s garaged and the other a red pickup that`s always out. What LSP offers better UV protection in the Southwest sun, wax or sealant? Looking forward to hear your recommendations and experiences.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wax vs Sealant, Which is Better for UV Protection

I add the wax on top of the sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

I put my sealant on top of my wax...it protects against UVA and UVB sun rays.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the sealant needed the paint to bond too. Wouldnt think the sealant would last as long if you applied it on top of wax.

Post Thanks / Like

There are some sealants that provide excellent UV protection and long durability, some provide excellent UV protection (while they last) and short durability, some provide little UV protection and long durability, and so-on and so-on. The same can be said for specific waxes as well...

Ultimately, it comes down to the individual product... More then what the main protective ingredient is. Wax and sealant manufacturers have a vested interest in protection your finish because it keeps them in business.

In general, I would prefer a paint sealant for protection, because, in general, they last longer then most carnauba waxes and withstand heat better. If you want a best of both worlds approach, apply a paint sealant first then top that with a carnauba wax.

Post Thanks / Like

wax over the sealant indeed !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    There are some sealants that provide excellent UV protection and long durability, some provide excellent UV protection (while they last) and short durability, some provide little UV protection and long durability, and so-on and so-on. The same can be said for specific waxes as well...

Ultimately, it comes down to the individual product... More then what the main protective ingredient is. Wax and sealant manufacturers have a vested interest in protection your finish because it keeps them in business.

In general, I would prefer a paint sealant for protection, because, in general, they last longer then most carnauba waxes and withstand heat better. If you want a best of both worlds approach, apply a paint sealant first then top that with a carnauba wax.
    Thanks Todd, the best of both worlds then would then cover both the durability of paint protection with a sealant, as well as UV and wax providing additional short term protection of both paint & UV. Can`t wait to try wax over the Klasse HGSG!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TacoHerder View Post
    I thought the sealant needed the paint to bond too. Wouldnt think the sealant would last as long if you applied it on top of wax.
    Not with what I use...The NanoSkin Hydrophobic Wax and the NanoSkin Shield Sealant is designed to be applied with the wax first then the shield since the shield is designed to work and totally bond with the wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Sealant first then wax.
    2014 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech
    2014 Acura MDX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edjoe View Post
    Hey Gang, I got two DD`s one a dark blue wagon that`s garaged and the other a red pickup that`s always out. What LSP offers better UV protection in the Southwest sun, wax or sealant? Looking forward to hear your recommendations and experiences.
    How often are you willing to wax? I would go with a sealant like Blackfire Crystal seal, Optiseal, Wolfgang Deep gloss liquid seal...etc and top it with your favorite wax.
    2014 Acura MDX

Post Thanks / Like

My is choice NanoSkin Shield Sealant over opti seal or coat due it has a better shine and repellling water and dirt. I`m not impressed withe the opti coat or opti seal for reflectiveness and water repelling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reflectiveauto View Post
    My is choice NanoSkin Shield Sealant over opti seal or coat due it has a better shine and repellling water and dirt. I`m not impressed withe the opti coat or opti seal for reflectiveness and water repelling.
    readers can almost guess your next reply before you type it.

*subscribed!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFast908Z View Post
    A-style executed flawlessly.

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBigA View Post
    readers can almost guess your next reply before you type it.

*subscribed!
    Oh and you for sure go sealant then wax. I`d listen to Todd about this because he is a freak of nature that is all knowing when it comes to anything related to car detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

gonna go get some Popcorn BRB.....
    2014 Acura MDX

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reflectiveauto View Post
    I`m pretty sure that NanoSkin anything won`t stick to opticoat.... And just wondering is Nanoskin paying you to get on here and force your opinions on everyone? Just saying you seem pretty determined to prove to everyone only what you do is right... Everyone else is wrong and well your mind is set. Maybe I`m the only one noticing this??? But I get the feeling I`m not. Personally since I`ve been on this forum because I listened and soaked up everything all these amazing detailers, some of the best in the world do.. I`m so much better at this than I was when I joined and I`ve been detailing cars for close to 15 years. I only got better though because I wasn`t closed minded to anything except what I had been doing for the last 14 years and wanted to learn. Oh and for the record I`ve never seen one detailer ever that put wax down then a sealant on top of it.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information