Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wax vs Sealant, Which is Better for UV Protection

I have never ate so much popcorn
    2014 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech
    2014 Acura MDX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    Very interesting thread, but going nowhere and if it keeps going that way then it should be closed. Like Todd said, I rather see more write up`s and more interesting review`s then wondering which is better. To me all of these products work and protect the paint on car`s but the sun is the worst thing that can happen to any paint and any type of protection. That`s way it`s important to up keep your paint to protect it from the elements ( Sun, Snow,Dirt etc ) and it will take care itself with all the work you put into it.
    Well said Angelo. I will start building my weather machine tonight
    2014 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech
    2014 Acura MDX

Post Thanks / Like
    Reflective -

I am in no way against or bashing your choice in product or any of their products. Everyone has their favorites or products they like to use and we can all agree that we have different opinions on many of them. I wish you would keep an open mind to products and their claims. I don`t know of you have ever looked up the patent on Optimum`s Spray Wax (Dr. G posted it once) but they put their products through some serious testing. Whiles that product isn`t OC it does show the amount of work involved and the testing behind their claims.

Companies subject their product to testing that simulates time. They have machines and computers that test and evaluates the product as it wears. That`s how many make the claims that they do concerning the durability of their product.

I will make an opinion of Nanoskin products once I try them and I wish you would do the same for Optimum and any other company that you want to compare the worlds greatest wax to.

One last comment - I don`t know if you saw Chris`s post the other day but it`s clear that what OG/OC does is much different than any wax or sealant. Comparing it to any wax or sealant is silly because it`s completely different.

Southern New Mexico which is NOT the Land of Enchantment.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it may be a no-brainer, to add any sealant first. THEN...do the wax?

You don`t say what area of NM you live in. The northern parts of the state, get colder, stay colder, winter & summer, and have wetter conditions, and your wax might last longer?

After 7 years of trying to keep my XK Jag in tip top condition in de desert, I gave up on wax. BF Midnight Sun gave a gorgeous "final finish" over BF, but it just didn`t seem to last in triple-digit, dry heat. Apply today, gone tomorrow.

I also worried that the wax top coat might trap some of the ubiquitous, year `round gritty desert sand. Don`t know if this is true, though.

I don`t intend to use any wax on my new car. I could be very wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

This is my last post on this thread.....Use what you like and be happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OpenRoad View Post
    I think it may be a no-brainer, to add any sealant first. THEN...do the wax?

You don`t say what area of NM you live in. The northern parts of the state, get colder, stay colder, winter & summer, and have wetter conditions, and your wax might last longer?

After 7 years of trying to keep my XK Jag in tip top condition in de desert, I gave up on wax. BF Midnight Sun gave a gorgeous "final finish" over BF, but it just didn`t seem to last in triple-digit, dry heat. Apply today, gone tomorrow.

I also worried that the wax top coat might trap some of the ubiquitous, year `round gritty desert sand. Don`t know if this is true, though.

I don`t intend to use any wax on my new car. I could be very wrong?
    I live in the central part of NM, Rio Rancho NE, and it`s wide open where we live w/no shade and lots of dust. My red truck it`s always outside and you`re right about the wax, I did use wax when I moved here 5 years ago and noticed it didn`t last long. Now with abou a month of using a sealant for the first time, and QD washes, the finish is awesome for the amount of effort I put into maintaining my work. I did clay, then Klasse AIO 2X then Klasse HGSG 3X, last coat applied a week ago. Always gave a few days between the HGSG coats. I`d agree I too am leaning towards not using wax anymore on the truck. The other vehicle is dark blue and is garaged with same sealant but AIO 2X and HGSG 1X. On this one I may use wax to see how it affects the look. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on paint care in the high desert!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edjoe View Post
    I live in the central part of NM, Rio Rancho NE, and it`s wide open where we live w/no shade and lots of dust. My red truck it`s always outside and you`re right about the wax, I did use wax when I moved here 5 years ago and noticed it didn`t last long. Now with abou a month of using a sealant for the first time, and QD washes, the finish is awesome for the amount of effort I put into maintaining my work. I did clay, then Klasse AIO 2X then Klasse HGSG 3X, last coat applied a week ago. Always gave a few days between the HGSG coats. I`d agree I too am leaning towards not using wax anymore on the truck. The other vehicle is dark blue and is garaged with same sealant but AIO 2X and HGSG 1X. On this one I may use wax to see how it affects the look. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on paint care in the high desert!
    If you dont mind the effort of applying the klasse twins then my advice would be stick to it. This is the combo I use on my van . It doesnt attract dust like waxes, lasts an extreemly long time and looks awesome. It (HGSG)also creates a slick hard shell like surface that makes contaminants hard to bond to IMO.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread Information