Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wax vs Sealant, Which is Better for UV Protection

Quote Originally Posted by TacoHerder View Post
    Read comment #84. You quote his post saying the prep work is the same. Then said "no its not..."
    No its not..

Optic Coat has been said to be applied as a 1 step as a 1 step fix from I have seen and read on posts from Opti Coat Detailers. Is that how I would apply it?....No Way...

I apply the NanoSkin Shield Coating only after washing the car, decontaminating the paint, Paint Correction, Polishing then using the Nanoskin Wax then only then do I apply the NanoSkin Shield Coating after the wax...I don`t take short coats like other detailers looking to make a easy $600 (more or less) by just using Opti Coat and not doing a complete prep....I wont screw over my clients over like that..[/COLOR]

What is missing from that post is that it was asking from that poster why was OC was being compared to Traditional Sealant.

I was stated that the NanoSkin Shield Sealant was not a Traditional Sealant or coating. Hence the part " No its Not"

The prep work with OC/OG or using the NSSS should be the same for a proper detail but in regards to the NSSS the Sealant is put on after the NS Wax since they are meant and designed to bond together where the OC/OG is meant to be put on after a wax.

Im going to be drawing pictures and making flash cards to help you guys along just like I do for my 4 year old and 17mo old boys.

Edit**** I meant to say that OC/OG is meant to be put on before the wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reflectiveauto View Post
    Im going to be drawing pictures and making flash cards to help you guys along just like I do for my 4 year old and 17mo old boys.
    Oh man, this is too much
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, you are so wrong its not even funny... I think you should re read this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

i love this thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFast908Z View Post
    A-style executed flawlessly.

Post Thanks / Like

Well this thread has turned out interesting... and has exposed that we all have different opinions that we all may not agree with. I have seen that other moderators have begun to edit posts that are inflammatory... let`s not go down this road.

I would rather spend my time focusing on reviewing products, testing new ones, increasing product selection, posting helpful articles, watching mold grow, or anything else in the (non-permanent) universe then baby sitting a thread..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    let`s face it guys, some people just don`t get it.

I was catching up on this thread and getting my laughs in and I had this thought running through my head then come upon this post and just about fell out of my chair. This thread really made one hell of a detour.

You have to remember it is all about marketing. I learned this in high school 30 some years ago. I even remember having to do a report about advertising and wording being used in advertising to sell. the biggest one was the dishwasher soap product, for some reason I can`t remember the name, that stated the dishes would come out virtually spotless! Virtually, most customers that bought that was thinking I am not going to have spot on my dishes, well think again because virtually in the sense is not 100%. That being said permanent was used in the wording to hype the sales and it is permanent to an extent. That extent could be until the day you drive it into a brick wall or sell it.

Dean.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s a nice little quote from someone who works at Optimum. ReflectiveAuto, you have said a lot of claims, yet you have yet to quote someone from either Optimum or Nanoskin.

Take your time and read this:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum View Post
    First, let me say that I am providing this information as a service to our customers and potential customers. I realize it is as always best to focus on our product(s) rather than to comment on products others offer since it could be seen as a threat to their marketing and sales. So, while I make my point about SiO based coatings, I only mean to provide general information as a comparison to our SiC based coating. For those who are unfamiliar with these compounds, it is a very interesting read even on Wikipedia to see what Silicon Oxide and Silicon Carbide are used for.

My statement regarding the coating thickness of 2 micron is based on spray application of the coating and using a paint thickness gauge on more than one occasion in our private testing. Any installer can verify the thickness of his application with a PTG to verify what his application yields. Wiping on and other variables may reduce "some" thickness, but my statement of 1-2 um is dead on.

More important to this discussion is the nature of covalent bonds. OptiCoat forms permanent carbon-oxygen bonds and are not broken with caustic or inorganic acids. On the ther hand, SiO forms weak hydrogen bonds which are reversible and break with exposure to caustic solutions. That is why OptiCoat is not affected by detergents or degreasers. Besides polishing, the only way OptiCoat is removed is by using paint removers. So basically, anything that removes aliphatic urethanes or other OEM clear coats, can remove opti-coat. In the past four years after tens of thousands of Opti-Coat applications, the handful of cases where Opti-Coat did not bond properly was shown to be due to having residual waxes or polishing oils on the surface. So like I have stated, OptiCoat is a "coating", like paint is a coating...not merely covering the surface, but becoming the surface. Our most recent independant test on hardness and chemical exposure for our Austrailian distributor can be read here.

SiO bonds, on the other hand, will most likely be diminished or removed with strong detergents, caustic solutions, or degreasers. Whether this happens over time or with exposure is irrelevant. Any product that requires reapplication over time or needs a booster/topper can not be considered permanent. As we stated earlier, Opti-Coat Pro now carries an available life-time warranty for those getting it professionally applied through our program and the only thing that voids the warranty is using abrasive products e.g. polishing!

Rob pointed out that I should not lump all nano sealants together, but I don`t see the harm in calling them nano sealants or extended life sealants instead of "coatings". Especially when comparing the main components of SiO based products with our SiC based product. There are many different nano sealants and while there can be quite a large variation in the chemistries of these sealants, the bonding mechanisms are very similar and limited by the same attributes.

As far as the requests for our testing documentation, we choose to not provide research to our competitors. You may purchase our product and conduct testing of your own. Customers, however, may rest assured that our product performs as advertised. This is evident from endless testimonials and is backed by our satisfaction guarantee...and now also backed by a soon to be available life-time guarantee on new car applications by authorized installers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reflectiveauto View Post
    What we are talking about is that 1 product is claiming a permanent coating and another is not claiming that but long term protection.
    Optimum has not been around long enough to prove its Permanent claim, maybe if its been around since1895 and its still going strong I would be all over this product...but its still a new product with no proved claim`s to back it up.
    Does Optimums` legal dept. apply the permanent claim to the original owner of the vehicle or is it transferable to the 2nd etc. owners?

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting thread, but going nowhere and if it keeps going that way then it should be closed. Like Todd said, I rather see more write up`s and more interesting review`s then wondering which is better. To me all of these products work and protect the paint on car`s but the sun is the worst thing that can happen to any paint and any type of protection. That`s way it`s important to up keep your paint to protect it from the elements ( Sun, Snow,Dirt etc ) and it will take care itself with all the work you put into it.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are awesome! I love the passion and was wondering is anyone this passionate about using Lemon Pledge on their cars. I remember seeing a owner of a car at a show swearing by it back in the 90`s when I was photographing for some car magazines.

Post Thanks / Like

Angelo, you`re completely right. In order to truly protect our paint.... we must destroy the sun!
    Connor Harrison Detailing
    Facebook!

Inspection > Correction > Protection

Post Thanks / Like

my head hurts, so i`m going away now.

Post Thanks / Like

this is my fav AF thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFast908Z View Post
    A-style executed flawlessly.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks `Ihavecamaro` for the quote from Chris from OPT about the lifetime guarantee.

If its true thats pretty amazing! Now I wonder how long has it actually been proven to last so far?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ca.detailchick View Post
    Thanks `Ihavecamaro` for the quote from Chris from OPT about the lifetime guarantee.

If its true thats pretty amazing! Now I wonder how long has it actually been proven to last so far?
    `tis true. Soon authorized Opti-Guard installers will be able to sell the coatings with a warranty. CQuartz Finest is already available with a warranty from CarPro..
    Connor Harrison Detailing
    Facebook!

Inspection > Correction > Protection

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information