Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wax vs Sealant, Which is Better for UV Protection

Quote Originally Posted by jlineman View Post
    My question...from an uneducated person in all things...wax and sealant IS...how do you know either way if things bond or not. Same thing with things that claim to layer...how do you know? BY sight, by experience or the manufactures claim. I wiped on several coats of Blackfire sealant but couldn`t tell you if there is two layers or not...how do we know? has it been proven in a lab...can layers be measured? I am just curious
    The first thing to consider is that all wax and sealant coatings are microscopically thin. How thin? So much they cannot really be measured with traditional methods but must be applied to special glass discs and tested for light refraction. Ultimately we are talking sub micron levels of thickness or about .000018 on an inch... (3/10ths of a micron)

Yes, testing has been done to confirm "layers". In most cases, not all, both paint sealants and waxes exhibit maximum thickness after 2 coats. In many cases, 2 coats produces a thickness that is more than twice the first coat. This universally has fallen apart after the second coat. In some cases a third coat will product almost no change in thickness (slight +- variances aside). Usually we find that a third coat will actually begin to reduce the thickness of the coating, likely because of solvent and friction.

Now we are talking about layering two identical chemicals on a glass disc. When we factor in the fact that we may experience a more permanent bond to paint (vs. glass) and product curing should be more complete on paint (vs. glass) then it becomes feasible that multiple coats have a greater benefit.

Testing, using feeling, looks, water beading contact angles, etc, can prove that some products stick on top of others and some do not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TacoHerder View Post
    So because there are some idiots out there not taking proper steps that means the product was designed for that?
    That is not what Im saying or ever said...People are being sucked into the false illusion that it is a "Permanent Coating". Even the person I talked to @ Optimunm said it should be good for 2 years with proper washing and products can take it off. That does not sound very permanent to me. Btw who keeps their car forever? The avg person keeps a car for 3 years..if they spent lets say $500-$700 for this coating..looks like a waste to me plus when they trade it in they will not get that money back in on the trade in..dealerships don`t care...but again this is about false claims since they cant be proven.

Post Thanks / Like

You are loosing credibility with every post... You claimed the steps are different and one product can be apied in 1 step. That`s not true, you are suppose to take all the proper prep work as you would if applying nanskin. Just because someone is applying the product wrong doesn`t mean it can work. So in actuality your statement about one can be applied with 1 step is false.

Post Thanks / Like

You are loosing credibility with every post... You claimed the steps are different and one product can be apied in 1 step. That`s not true, you are suppose to take all the proper prep work as you would if applying nanskin. Just because someone is applying the product wrong doesn`t mean it can work. So in actuality your statement about one can be applied with 1 step is false.
    Ok...your next...take a step back and read my posts..I never said Opti Coat was a 1 Step or meant to be used as that...I have said several times that other detailers are skipping steps and just applying OC/OG as a 1 step. They are cutting corners but its doing the customers a injustice...how many times do I have to repeat myself? Why do I feel Im talking to my kids?

As for the NanoSkin Shield Coating...I do a full Stage 4 detail before I apply that coating on and only then...I don`t wash the car then apply the coating like OC/OG detailer do.

Post Thanks / Like

let`s face it guys, some people just don`t get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    What that "No One" can prove that OC is a permanent coating? That`s my point all the long.

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    Steve your my hero!

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t even... Seriously?!
    Connor Harrison Detailing
    Facebook!

Inspection > Correction > Protection

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reflectiveauto View Post
    What that "No One" can prove that OC is a permanent coating? That`s my point all the long.
    You`ve actually changed your point a bunch of time in this post.... From Wax first then sealant, to Opti coat cant last for ever, to It actually the guys out the ripping people off by over selling opti coat suck, back to opticoat cant be forever.... You just seem confused. I read what your "stage 4" detail is and I`m sure the cars come out nice but i`d bet a million they are far from perfect. You said your self you did this as a hobby for a while then recently started full time right? Well I`ve been doing this full time for about 15 years and have thousands of cars under my belt and never try to force my favorite products on anyone. 5 hours you said to get that BRZ all dialed in to the point you show it off like its the best detail anyone has ever done. I`ve spent 60 hours on a detail before is it because I wasn`t using nanoskin that it took me soooooo long to get a car perfect? Or is because in 15 years I probably approach that word "perfect" completely different than yours. Oh and I happily show off my work under halogens, in the sun, and under LED`s. Lol as enteraining as this is......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reflectiveauto View Post
    No its not..

Optic Coat has been said to be applied as a 1 step as a 1 step fix from I have seen and read on posts from Opti Coat Detailers. Is that how I would apply it?....No Way...

I apply the NanoSkin Shield Coating only after washing the car, decontaminating the paint, Paint Correction, Polishing then using the Nanoskin Wax then only then do I apply the NanoSkin Shield Coating after the wax...I don`t take short coats like other detailers looking to make a easy $600 (more or less) by just using Opti Coat and not doing a complete prep....I wont screw over my clients over like that
    Right by saying "no its not..." you are implying both products require different prep work and one can be applied in 1 step. You basically contradict yourself in this comment. You should y have no its not, because in truth yes, both require the same prep work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth View Post
    Steve your my hero!

Im glad you have a good choice in a hero. OC has only been out for a few years so where is the proof that it is "Permanent"?

Post Thanks / Like

Right by saying "no its not..." you are implying both products require different prep work and one can be applied in 1 step. You basically contradict yourself in this comment. You should y have no its not, because in truth yes, both require the same prep work.
    OMG..I am talking to 1 of my boys..."DID YOU NOT READ WHAT I POSTED FROM THE OPTIMUMN WEBSITE? Even a Opti Rep I talked to said the proper way to apply OC/OG was to do the proper steps like washing the ride, de-coning, paint correcting, polishing then applying OC/OG and if you wanted extra reflectiveness add some nice wax. The Opti Rep said when people run into problems is when those steps are skipped...and if I know any detailers who are skipping those steps should be reported...sorry that is not my job...Im not the sealant police.

I do everything as stated above but reverse the wax and sealant...Do I need to draw pictures so you understand what Ive said over and over again?

Getting paper and crayons ready....

Post Thanks / Like

Read comment #84. You quote his post saying the prep work is the same. Then said "no its not..."

Post Thanks / Like

2014 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech
    2014 Acura MDX

Post Thanks / Like

i love this thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFast908Z View Post
    A-style executed flawlessly.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information