Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wax vs Sealant, Which is Better for UV Protection

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    except for the fact that you put it on a mirror instead of on a car....

That`s like putting jam on a cabbage head and when you bite into it, you say it doesn`t taste good. It`s not meant to be on the cabbage head, but rather bread! You can hardly blame the jam for the cabbage not tasting good.
    If a product can not bond to a mirror and another product can.....what do you think is better?

that was a quick test since I was bored...I even did a test on a car and the results was the same. Btw do you make a living detailing? I do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reflectiveauto View Post
    LOL..just because Im not a fan boy of Opti Coat? The NanoSkin Shield Sealant works better in the environment that I detail in then what I have seen with Opti Coat does. Ive seen pics of Opti Coat with water on it...looks like it has no protection...but again please prove to me that it is permanent...no can prove that....not even the designers of Opti Coat can prove that. If I lived in a warmer environment and didn`t really have to worry about a lot rain, snow and occasional 3 months of summer...I would probably use Opti Coat but I don`t so I wont. Btw I have contacted several highline detailers in my area and some carry Opti Coat but they don`t recommend it...but that`s a different topic.
    In all fairness, most scientists agree that not even the universe itself is permanent, so even something so concrete as that word cannot be defined. Our star, the sun, will blow up in 4.5 billion years, and eat the earth. I`m sure Opti Coat, along with our way of life, will be looooonnnngggggg gone by then.

That said, I have seen Opti Coat provide near stable levels of protection after 2 years of abuse, which included washing with caustic and acidic chemicals. While we can debate the term permanent (just like we can debate the terms "nano" and "non-diminishing" it has been my experience that nothing lasts as long!

Post Thanks / Like

If a product can not bond to a mirror and another product can.....what do you think is better?

that was a quick test since I was bored...I even did a test on a car and the results was the same. Btw do you make a living detailing? I do.
    While its a cool test, the chemical and physical makeup of glass is so different that it really only tests how these products work on glass instead of paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Why didn`t you post the results of the car instead of the mirror results. I know that you make a living detailing, you`ve said it many times. I`m not sure how that validates a test that was inherently wrong though. In fact, because you make a living off of detailing cars, I thought you would know to apply the products to what they were made for to test them.

The test on the car, on the other hand, is a fair test, and I believe your results. It still doesn`t make the test on a mirror any better though.

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    In all fairness, most scientists agree that not even the universe itself is permanent, so even something so concrete as that word cannot be defined. Our star, the sun, will blow up in 4.5 billion years, and eat the earth. I`m sure Opti Coat, along with our way of life, will be looooonnnngggggg gone by then.

That said, I have seen Opti Coat provide near stable levels of protection after 2 years of abuse, which included washing with caustic and acidic chemicals. While we can debate the term permanent (just like we can debate the terms "nano" and "non-diminishing" it has been my experience that nothing lasts as long!
    Todd AKA "Master Diffuser" well played lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post

Thanks Todd...Even you say then that Opti Coat is not permanent as the marketing states and I respect you for that since so many "Weekend Warriors or regular consumer`s get caught up in the "Permanent Coating Marketing". I know its a very nice product due to its following but its not a "1 Step fix All" like putting it over swirls without proper prepping and calling it the day.

The product I use is not a "1 Step Fix All" but it does not get applied unless its in the Stage 4 Package that I sell so I know it will work correctly and protect the customers ride for a long...Permanent Protection? No. But, almost 2 years of protection against the elements is fine with me and my customers. My customers love not having to wash their cars every week but they just spray them off and they stay highly reflective plus contaminates or anything else doesn`t stick either.

Post Thanks / Like

That was a legit test...the NanoSkin Express Hyper Sealant is still repeling over water and steam the Griots. If a product cant even repel while being vertical..enough said
    And do you think it`s fair to test paint products on glass? Both sides of the glass look almost the same, how can you even say one is better than the other? And for someone who "knows a lot about detailing," bashing opti-coat is like a snake biting it`s own tail...
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Todd...Even you say then that Opti Coat is not permanent as the marketing states and I respect you for that since so many "Weekend Warriors or regular consumer`s get caught up in the "Permanent Coating Marketing". I know its a very nice product due to its following but its not a "1 Step fix All" like putting it over swirls without proper prepping and calling it the day.

The product I use is not a "1 Step Fix All" but it does not get applied unless its in the Stage 4 Package that I sell so I know it will work correctly and protect the customers ride for a long...Permanent Protection? No. But, almost 2 years of protection against the elements is fine with me and my customers. My customers love not having to wash their cars every week but they just spray them off and they stay highly reflective plus contaminates or anything else doesn`t stick either.
    Opticoat is offering (I believe next year) a new car Opticoat package. If you opticoat a new car at a authorized installer, they will warranty it for the life of the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok got my refill

2014 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech
    2014 Acura MDX

Post Thanks / Like

Permanent Protection? No. But, almost 2 years of protection against the elements is fine with me and my customers. My customers love not having to wash their cars every week but they just spray them off and they stay highly reflective plus contaminates or anything else doesn`t stick either.
    prove it. wheres your 2 year field test with pictures & film documentation?

& whats up with you over using the word reflective? reflections this reflectiveness that reflect the reflection of the reflective car? say what?
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFast908Z View Post
    A-style executed flawlessly.

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBigA View Post

& whats up with you over using the word reflective? reflections this reflectiveness that reflect the reflection of the reflective car? say what?
    Hey Andrew whats wrong with saying reflective
    Reflective Reflection Porsche Polished- Orinda Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about how bored I am becomming reading about detailing anymore,before I read this this thread.

Ive got to admit the `permanant`claim of opticoat has turned me off too. Clear coat itself is not permanant so how could opticoat be is my logical question?

No, Ive never used it and the last thing I want in my business is 10 years later all my customers comming back to me with their failing clearcoats and opticoats and complaining .

My customers tend to keep their cars long past the 5 year average and I enjoy the repeat business they provide every few months .

Plus I dont have a garage to apply it in so its not really an option for me.

It still may be a great product but I get tired of false claims .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth View Post
    . Oh and for the record I`ve never seen one detailer ever that put wax down then a sealant on top of it.
    Well now you know 2 people!

Years agio I was visiting my parents in the east coast and waxed my Dads car for him. I cleaned it up with megiaurs cleaner wax and then decided I really should put something more durable down because many years go by before I visit them ......so I bought some Nufinish and layed it on top!

3 years later my Dad swore the paint was still beading . I said"Dad that is imposible!" He swore to me he was not imagining it and it was. I cant explain it but Dad never lies!

So apparently Nufinish had no trouble adhering to meguiars cleaner wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBigA View Post

I never said the NanoSkin Shield Sealant was a permanent sealant or coating. Though I picked up my last order of that sealant at the highline detail shop north of my location there was a Porsche (daily driver) in for a maintaince wash that had the NanoSkin Shield applied nearly 2 years ago and still going strong. The owner showed me the paperwork of the detail log for every time it came in for a detailing job and the NanoSkin Shield Sealant/Coating was only applied once in the beginning. I watched it get washed off and sprayed off and it shed water like the 1st time and I can concur with that since it acted the same as that when I have sprayed off my customers rides after applying the NanoSkin Shield. Sorry it took me so long to reply but I was scheduling some customers for my Winter Protection Detail. I also talked to a Opti Rep alittle bit ago and he said 2 years is a avg time of protection since it is not "Permanent" and can come off. Maybe he realized that he was not talking a weekend warrior but a actual detailer because he said it was the most questions he had been asked about this product and he didn`t want to blow smoke up my butt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ca.detailchick View Post
    Well now you know 2 people!

Years agio I was visiting my parents in the east coast and waxed my Dads car for him. I cleaned it up with megiaurs cleaner wax and then decided I really should put something more durable down because many years go by before I visit them ......so I bought some Nufinish and layed it on top!

3 years later my Dad swore the paint was still beading . I said"Dad that is imposible!" He swore to me he was not imagining it and it was. I cant explain it but Dad never lies!

So apparently Nufinish had no trouble adhering to meguiars cleaner wax.
    Like I have said over and over again..the NanoSkin Hydrophobic Wax and the NanoSkin Shield Sealant/Coating are different then anything else. The NanoSkin Shield is designed to be applied over the NanoSkin wax so it will properly bond to the wax on a molecular level since its a glass molecule sealant/coating.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information