Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Claying oxidation?

I`ve done a few car recently that had some bad oxidation and noticed that claying does nothing to them. So I found that if you do your intial cut then you clay the car and polish like normal it seems to work a lot better. Anyone else do this?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claying oxidation?

Claying or the technique of claying with another product will not remove oxidation. Claying is to remove decontamination from the paint to prep it for the next step. Look at my post from today with the Red BMW...that has tons of oxidation...I used Mezerna Power Finish to remove it.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I am of the belief that anything that helps remove ga-ga from the paintwork is going to help the final steps of compounding, polishing, and finishing the job.
    If you look at the claybar and it is full of stuff when you use it, then it would have to be helping because that stuff is now off the paint work and making the next step in the process work better/easier.
    But that`s just me...
    Dan F

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Please excuse double post.
    Dan F

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing clay is a paint cleaning system designed to safely and effectively remove bonded surface contamination. There different type of clay`s for different types of work on a painted surface. Claying your car with detail clay is not a substitute for polishing your paint. The compounding/polishing process in detailing removes paint defects such as scratches, swirl, oxidation and staining while improving overall paint clarity to enhance gloss and prepare your paint for your LSP.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I am of the belief that anything that helps remove ga-ga from the paintwork is going to help the final steps of compounding, polishing, and finishing the job.
    If you look at the claybar and it is full of stuff when you use it, then it would have to be helping because that stuff is now off the paint work and making the next step in the process work better/easier.
    But that`s just me...
    Dan F
    Claying a car will not remove oxidation from a cars paint. Because if it did there would have been no oxidation for me to remove. Btw Oxidation is different then contamination.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Reflectiveauto View Post
    Claying or the technique of claying with another product will not remove oxidation. Claying is to remove decontamination from the paint to prep it for the next step. Look at my post from today with the Red BMW...that has tons of oxidation...I used Mezerna Power Finish to remove it.
    I don`t think he`s talking about removing oxidation with clay but rather the contaminants.

I think the dead paint would load up the clay and reduce the effectiveness of the contaminant removal. Pads load up quick with dead paint when removing oxidation so I think the theory would apply to clay as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rocket, Yeah I think you guys are mis understanding I`m say I cant tell a difference in oxidation when I clay it as far as contamination goes. Then after I make my intial "Shine up" Cut I can actually remove contamination with clay then go back and finish my polishing. I just wondering if anyone else did this lol or someone had a better Ideal because it is a little time consuming

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth View Post
    Thanks Rocket, Yeah I think you guys are mis understanding I`m say I cant tell a difference in oxidation when I clay it as far as contamination goes. Then after I make my intial "Shine up" Cut I can actually remove contamination with clay then go back and finish my polishing. I just wondering if anyone else did this lol or someone had a better Ideal because it is a little time consuming
    Feel the paint..if it feels gritty on the paint...that is contamination. Remove that 1st then proceed removing the oxidation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth View Post
    I understood what you meant!

Never tried clayed after polishing .

I know what you mean about claying badly oxidized paint,its messy ,grabby and seems somewhat ineffective!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    Detailing clay is a paint cleaning system designed to safely and effectively remove bonded surface contamination. There different type of clay`s for different types of work on a painted surface. Claying your car with detail clay is not a substitute for polishing your paint. The compounding/polishing process in detailing removes paint defects such as scratches, swirl, oxidation and staining while improving overall paint clarity to enhance gloss and prepare your paint for your LSP.
    .......I like this post......

Post Thanks / Like

For me oxidation=wool and a rotary as a first step. Foam or microfiber pads get plugged up way to fast. There will still be some contamination left so claying afterwards for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Murphy View Post
    For me oxidation=wool and a rotary as a first step. Foam or microfiber pads get plugged up way to fast. There will still be some contamination left so claying afterwards for sure.
    Thats what I do because after the wool cut the paint still feels ruff! Yay someone else does this too!

Thread Information