Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claying for the first time

I would stay away from the claybar alternatives for your first time.These blocks and towels and autoscrubbers can really marr some paints up even if you know what your doing. Your looking for something mild I get from your thread.

Post Thanks / Like

No need to waste money on nanoskin scrubber, I am sure its a great product but being a newbie I say check this kit out.

Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit
    2014 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech
    2014 Acura MDX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dd1101 View Post
    No need to waste money on nanoskin scrubber, I am sure its a great product but being a newbie I say check this kit out.

Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit
    Ive tried that and other claybar systems...they dont even compare...btw dont drop your clay. btw I have done atleast 30 customer details with my Nanoskin Autoscuber so far. Trust me its not a waste of money...its a time saver and money saver. Have a fun time claying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dc52nv View Post
    Thanks everyone for the claying tips. Which products would you recommend that I can use by hand after I clay? I plan on using a non abrasive clay since it`s my first time.
    What are you looking to do? Polish and then wax?
    Just wax ?Or a sealant?

Or dont you know yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ca.detailchick View Post
    What are you looking to do? Polish and then wax?
    Just wax ?Or a sealant?

Or dont you know yet?
    I`m not 100% sure. I like the pinnacle poly clay then BF TPnS followed up with opti-seal. Would this be ok?

Post Thanks / Like

after you clay and feel how smooth the paint finish is, you`ll probably need to further polish or compound and polish the surface prior to adding a last step of waxing or sealing (or a combination thereof) to help beautify and protect your finish. those steps can be done by hand, but you`ll never obtain the results you would get from machine application. sounds like your paint is still in pretty good shape, so you might want to consider using a one step wax or sealant that has polish added already. some examples are, BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal, Dodo Juice Need for Speed Cleaner Wax 250 ml, Optimum GPS Glaze Polish Sealant, Meguiars Mirror Glaze #6 Cleaner/Wax.
    since you are working by hand, a good applicator will help, such as-http://www.autopia-carcare.com/orange-hand-applicator.html, Wolfgang Polishin’ Pal Combo, http://www.autopia-carcare.com/foam-...plicators.html .
    and last but not least, a good supply of microfiber towels for cleaning,and buffing, such as Deluxe Jr. 600 Microfiber Towel 16 x 16 inches, Special Purchase Light Blue Microfiber Towel, 3 Pack.
    i think you`ll be surprised at the results you can get ! don`t forget to post some pics of your spectacular finish

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve for the product recommendations. I will definetely pick up some pads. Will BF TPnS be enough after clay?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve for the product recommendations. I will definetely pick up some pads. Will BF TPnS be enough after clay?
    Yea that should be enough. Grab some Crystal Seal too you wont regret it
    2014 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech
    2014 Acura MDX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dd1101 View Post
    Yea that should be enough. Grab some Crystal Seal too you wont regret it
    I already have a bottle of opti-seal. Will that work too?

Post Thanks / Like

yep, i really like blackfire products and the bf tps will be very good. the opti-seal would probably be ok, but the bfcs has similar polymers,etc and would bond better. BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Polymer Spray and BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Spray Wax is also a good way to maintain bf tps after washes, etc.
    and remember, you can never have too much detailing stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reflectiveauto View Post
    Do you have your clay yet? I use the Nanoskin Autoscuber...its faster and better then a claybar for several reasons. I dont use a claybar anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reflectiveauto View Post
    Ive tried that and other claybar systems...they dont even compare...btw dont drop your clay. btw I have done atleast 30 customer details with my Nanoskin Autoscuber so far. Trust me its not a waste of money...its a time saver and money saver. Have a fun time claying.
    I`ll start by admitting that I`ve never used the Nanoskin product, I have no basis for actual comparison. I`m also happy that you`ve had such good results with a product of your choosing. That said, the my wax/product is better than your wax/product has been the cause of many heated discussions on detailing forums for years. Better, is such a relative term when it comes to detailing products.

If the claim is quicker, I might listen to your recommendation but when you say better then I`m not so quick to embrace the recommendation. I for one, don`t drop my clay, my son did once when working with me but the truth is this isn`t a huge concern for me, YMMV. If you pick the appropriate grade of clay and use it properly (plenty of an appropriate lube) marring isn`t an issue. The target result in either instance is to obtain a smooth finish. I have no doubt that both have the ability to deliver this goal. I know of no one that has the ability to count the number of remaining bonded contaminants per square inch on a finished job, so the end result is once again personal opinion.

If better means cost effective, then to someone who is claying cars daily the Nanoskin product might be a better value. For the person that clays their car once, maybe twice a year they may actually get 4, 5 or more uses out of a 200 gram bar. Once again cost or cash outlay becomes relevant.

If what I`ve read is correct, to jump in with both feet on to the Nanoskin pool runs about $50. If you keep your eyes open some of the products mentioned in this thread can be purchased in the neighborhood of about $12. To an individual user with one car, this may be the real value and therefore better.

At the end of the day when someone makes a blanket statement claiming that a specific product is better than the rest of the world, I become skeptical. There is one thing for sure. A person can certainly try "clay barring" using the traditional systems and should they decide they like the result can then try the more expensive product and have a bench mark with which they can compare. For now, I`ll still be the hold out when it comes the "better" or "doesn`t even compare" claim. There is no one best! Best is such a relevant term.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I was new to claying about a month ago. I picked up Griot`s Garage clay cleaning kit, unfortunately I don`t see it listed at the store here. It come with Speed Shine (QD) spray for lube, 3 Speed shine towels, nitrile gloves and enough clay to do must be about 25 cars depending on how dirty or contaminated they are. You break off about 1/4 of the bar is all you need and it is supposed to do about 6 cars. I went through about half of the bottle of Speed Shine for claying and I was probably a little liberal with it. Even though my car was washed and cleaned just about every week since I bought it last spring I still noticed it did pick up a little crud and some tar (black car so hard to see the tar until it is on the clay). Just keep kneading the clay as you do each section. If you pick up bigger particles pick them out and if you drop it chuck it and break off a new chunk. As far as the rest goes about polishing and waxing by hand listen to the other they had good advice. Good luck and have fun detailing.

Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ca.detailchick View Post
    I would stay away from the claybar alternatives for your first time.These blocks and towels and autoscrubbers can really marr some paints up even if you know what your doing. Your looking for something mild I get from your thread.
    Have you used the Nanoskin Autoscruber? Well I have done about 30 clients cars and have not seen any marring at all. Its not rocket science at all. Keep it lubbed up and be done with it. Its far superior then a claybar in everyway. My 4yr boy can use the Nanoskin Autoscruber.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skibik View Post
    I was new to claying about a month ago. I picked up Griot`s Garage clay cleaning kit, unfortunately I don`t see it listed at the store here. It come with Speed Shine (QD) spray for lube, 3 Speed shine towels, nitrile gloves and enough clay to do must be about 25 cars depending on how dirty or contaminated they are. You break off about 1/4 of the bar is all you need and it is supposed to do about 6 cars. I went through about half of the bottle of Speed Shine for claying and I was probably a little liberal with it. Even though my car was washed and cleaned just about every week since I bought it last spring I still noticed it did pick up a little crud and some tar (black car so hard to see the tar until it is on the clay). Just keep kneading the clay as you do each section. If you pick up bigger particles pick them out and if you drop it chuck it and break off a new chunk. As far as the rest goes about polishing and waxing by hand listen to the other they had good advice. Good luck and have fun detailing.

When you dropped your clay did you get "All" of the particles out of the claybar? I wouldnt want to risk putting back on the paint again.

Post Thanks / Like

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information