Thread: First detail

Post Thanks / Like

First detail

hey all,

I just finished my first detail on my Town Car. I did the best I could, and the realization that this is one tough job makes me swell with pride. I made all the correct steps and took my time. Still sore from all the work but my land whale looks fantastic.

Starting at 9AM I washed it thourougly. Dry her off and then clayed. First time ever on this 1997 car. Got some serious grunge off it. Wiped it down.
    Taped it off, this took a LONG time and several rolls of tape LOL.
    Then I applied the Wolfgang Swirl remover with my PC and an LC orange pad. I had no shade to work in. But it was a glorious day 70`s and breezy.
    The swirl remover did a great job, it was tough to judge in the bright sunlight, but at an angle I could see the improvement.

Finally I applied the Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant with the Crimson LC pad. WOW! The car looks incredible, I am so happy with the results.

I want to extend a thank you to all the members here for the support and help. Especially Todd, I am exhausted but can`t stop looking at my ride and smiling.

Bakerman

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First detail

Congratulations. It is a great feeling to see the fruit of your labor.

Now, how about somes pics?

Post Thanks / Like

That`s great to hear Bakerman.

We would love to see pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the detailing club bakerman ! it only gets worse with all the new stuff you`ll have to try now ! haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Another one infected with the detailing bug. Congrats on your initiation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerman View Post
    I did the best I could, and the realization that this is one tough job makes me swell with pride. I made all the correct steps and took my time. Still sore from all the work but my land whale looks fantastic.

I have had a few friends help out a few times on jobs where I was under a time crunch. Not one has been back for a second helping. They all say they learned a whole new level of "attention to detail" but that it isn`t for them and that they have a whole new respect for what I do. This week I had a customer say "I`m convinced everything looks easier when someone else is doing it." So true. A few hours isn`t so bad. 8+ hours straight and most people run for the hills.

How long did it take you? And, yes. We want to see pictures.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

OCD strikes again
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Especially Todd, I am exhausted but can`t stop looking at my ride and smiling.
    After admiring your work for a few days, you will get over the work aspect and want to do it again. You will learn from it and improve your technique and start detailing other areas beyond the paint.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

After reading tons of threads and the great How-To`s here you finally decide to put the pad on the panel and then it hits you; WOW....

Detailing is a lot of work and now you have experienced the fruits of your labor first hand. Detailing is incredibly satisfying and rewarding. Whether professional or hobbyist the more knowledge and experience you gain the finer the results....

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

hey all,

I just finished my first detail on my Town Car. I did the best I could, and the realization that this is one tough job makes me swell with pride. I made all the correct steps and took my time. Still sore from all the work but my land whale looks fantastic.

Starting at 9AM I washed it thourougly. Dry her off and then clayed. First time ever on this 1997 car. Got some serious grunge off it. Wiped it down.
    Taped it off, this took a LONG time and several rolls of tape LOL.
    Then I applied the Wolfgang Swirl remover with my PC and an LC orange pad. I had no shade to work in. But it was a glorious day 70`s and breezy.
    The swirl remover did a great job, it was tough to judge in the bright sunlight, but at an angle I could see the improvement.

Finally I applied the Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant with the Crimson LC pad. WOW! The car looks incredible, I am so happy with the results.

I want to extend a thank you to all the members here for the support and help. Especially Todd, I am exhausted but can`t stop looking at my ride and smiling.

Bakerman

Detailing is relaxing but there is no doubt that it is time consuming and tedious. Congratulations on completing the Town Car, I would probably need two weeks off!!!

Did you happen to take any pictures you can share with the forum?!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I did manage to snap a few. However my daughter took the camera to the Bahamas for a week before I could upload them.

All in the detail took about 6 full hours with a few" Jesus what did I get myself into ?" breaks.Thankfully I had some cold beers to help ease the pain. Ha
    The feel of the paint was incredible. So smooth.

Of course it was maybe 3 hours after I finished when I saw a bird bomb on it. My wife thought that was funny.

Still happy with it,even though it rained today it`s still nice looking.

Promise to post the pix when I get the camera back.

Bakerman

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations and welcome to the addiction.

You have already learned one lesson, short cuts are a waste of time. I always plan a day per car, start early and finish late, and sleep well.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I did manage to snap a few. However my daughter took the camera to the Bahamas for a week before I could upload them.

All in the detail took about 6 full hours with a few" Jesus what did I get myself into ?" breaks.Thankfully I had some cold beers to help ease the pain. Ha
    The feel of the paint was incredible. So smooth.

Of course it was maybe 3 hours after I finished when I saw a bird bomb on it. My wife thought that was funny.

Still happy with it,even though it rained today it`s still nice looking.

Promise to post the pix when I get the camera back.

Bakerman
    Great I am looking forward to them!

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, sorry for the delay. Here are the pictures of my sled as promised. If anyone wants to see comparison shots of what I started with just let me know. Enjoy

Bakerman
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

definitely see some nice reflections in that white paint. very nice.

Thread Information