Post Thanks / Like

Washing In The Sun

I know this is regarded as a no-no in the detailing world for the most part, but I`ve found it near impossible at my home. My garage cannot handle the water without dragging everything out, would be very time consuming every weekend. There is not a time of day that the sun does not hit my driveway. Try as I might by keeping the panels wet during drying, I still get minor waterspots. Maybe some of you mobile guys can help me out, but is there any better way without using a rinseless wash or the sort?
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Washing In The Sun

Get a CR spotless water purification system. I wash in the full sun all the time, since I can`t control the time of day and location I`ll wash the car.

Use the search function to find out more on the system.

Cheers,
    GREG
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Get a CR spotless water purification system. I wash in the full sun all the time, since I can`t control the time of day and location I`ll wash the car.

Use the search function to find out more on the system.

Cheers,
    GREG
    I 2nd that from Greg on the CR Spotless System.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

I have this same issue. Couple the sun with the hardest water on the planet, and it takes some of the fun out of washing.

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly interesting using deionized water. Looked up the cost of some of those systems and holy cow at the price, and the filters really don`t last that long. Got me thinking of a home-made solution.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    Certainly interesting using deionized water. Looked up the cost of some of those systems and holy cow at the price, and the filters really don`t last that long. Got me thinking of a home-made solution.
    Extensive work has already been done with this idea, and its not cheaper for the same output. The cost will be less in time, as you only have to replace the media not the hardware. You may only use 5 gallons to wash the entire car, I think it cost me about 1.50$ per car at that rate, well worth the benefits IMO.

Cheers,
    GREG
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    I know this is regarded as a no-no in the detailing world for the most part, but I`ve found it near impossible at my home. My garage cannot handle the water without dragging everything out, would be very time consuming every weekend. There is not a time of day that the sun does not hit my driveway. Try as I might by keeping the panels wet during drying, I still get minor waterspots. Maybe some of you mobile guys can help me out, but is there any better way without using a rinseless wash or the sort?
    Your neighbors will think you are nuts but you can wash the car in the evening after the sun is down. (Or in the very early morning) I`ve done both…

Although if you are posting here, your neighbors probably already think you`re nuts and obsessed with your cars.

After the wash pull it into the garage to dry and finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff U View Post
    Although if you are posting here, your neighbors probably already think you`re nuts and obsessed with your cars.
    Yeah, they all think I`m crazy by now.

Post Thanks / Like

When I have to wash in the full sun I always start with the area that is in the shade first. These are the less likely to spot. I will also wash the vertical panels first and then horizontal panels. This way the rinse from the horizontal panels keeps the sides from getting spots. As soon as I am done rinsing I immediately go to flooding the paint, then towel drying.

I will not use a blower until after I towel dry the paint, since blowing breaks the water into little beads which will spot faster. After I towel dry the paint I immediately come back and and blow a section at a time (then dry any run off immediately with a towel).

Finally I will do a quick wipe with a spray detailer that will remove any fresh water spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff U View Post
    Your neighbors will think you are nuts but you can wash the car in the evening after the sun is down. (Or in the very early morning) I`ve done both…

After the wash pull it into the garage to dry and finish.
    With my sons black Nissan and my old Black Ford Expedition, this was the only way......wash early am or the evening prior to a detail session.....I get about 2 hours in the morning of shade in my driveway and about the last hour in the evening thats it......after that its full sun....

and yes, the neighbors think im crazy anyway......so its not unusual to see me washing the car(s)....

Post Thanks / Like

no ones mentioned adding onr to their wash water. i`ve been doing this lately and it does seem to soften the water and i dont seem to be getting the water spots anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    When I have to wash in the full sun I always start with the area that is in the shade first. These are the less likely to spot. I will also wash the vertical panels first and then horizontal panels. This way the rinse from the horizontal panels keeps the sides from getting spots. As soon as I am done rinsing I immediately go to flooding the paint, then towel drying.

I will not use a blower until after I towel dry the paint, since blowing breaks the water into little beads which will spot faster. After I towel dry the paint I immediately come back and and blow a section at a time (then dry any run off immediately with a towel).

Finally I will do a quick wipe with a spray detailer that will remove any fresh water spots.
    Hm, that seems like a really good idea. I`ll definitely give it a whirl.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the sun, I`ve learned to wash AND dry one section at a time, starting at the top and working my way down. The key is good nozzle control. But if I do inadvertently overspray a finished section, I simply dry it again immediately before it spots. The casualty in this process ends up being the glass, which requires extra time in the end to clean off the water spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Try this:

Keep the car wet throughout the wash, use a top down method. At the end of the wash, take the nozzle off the hose, allowing a steady, even, controllable stream of water that doesn`t splash around.

Sheet the water off the panels with a slow zig-zag patter, starting at the highest end of a panel, and working you way to the other side. Repeat for every panel as necessary. (a variation of a method I learned on L2D off another member, namly 911fanatic).

Then take a soft MF or drying MF to absorb the rest of the water.

If you still get some water spots, use some QD to get them up.

Works best with paint that has a LSP on it.
    2003 2.2L Chevy S10
    1986 2.9L Ford Bronco II POS Edition.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help guys, definitely will be playing around with it this weekend. Heavy rains and a muddy parking lot definitely take some time to clean up

Thread Information