Post Thanks / Like

Karchar K5.540 vs K5.740?

I want to buy an electric washer, probably Karchar. But it`s extremely difficult to find any comparative information about the products. I tried calling Pressure Washers Direct, but they only know about the 740. Other vendors only know the 540. Calling Karchar is useless - you go into auto-answer hell and can`t talk with anyone. (I`ve heard a lot of negatives about Karchar customer service, but I`m trying to overlook that.)

Does anyone know the differences between the K5.540 and K5.740? Looking at the specs in different places, they look like they are exactly the same except the part number. Is that it? Just the part number?

Thanks,

Dan.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Karchar K5.540 vs K5.740?

Dear Dan

If I remember correctly, this question was asked on the site pressurewashersdirect.com, and the answer is that the 740 has a sturdier build than the 540. They share the same pump, though.
    —  Jaddie

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav. (mine)
    2016 Ford Escape Titanium (hers)

Post Thanks / Like

I tell you what. I looked them up and to be honest I can`t really find any difference. The specs look the same for both of them. I would say your best bet would to email Karchar directly and ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I sent an email to Karchar. We`ll see what they say.

Regards,

Dan.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting... I just got a reply on this issue from Bill Mikenis at Pressure Washers Direct:

They are literally the same exact machine with just a slightly different housing enclosure to them. Karcher says the K5.740 is more intended for their dealers because it is a more heavier duty unit than the K5.540. The internal components are exactly the same though and all accessories are interchangeable between the 2 models.
    I inclined to go ahead with the K5.740.

Regards,

Dan.

Post Thanks / Like

Good info.... I have been trying to decide on a pressure washer as well.

I agree I would go for the 5.740 if that is the case.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, so I have never used an electric power sprayer. My question is in regards to the garden hose you attach to supply water. Any need to buy a super strong hose to handle increased pressure? Also, how far to you open the faucet? 50% I hope that doesn`t seem like a silly question, but an average garden hose can break if water pressure builds.
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TID10 View Post
    OK, so I have never used an electric power sprayer. My question is in regards to the garden hose you attach to supply water. Any need to buy a super strong hose to handle increased pressure? Also, how far to you open the faucet? 50% I hope that doesn`t seem like a silly question, but an average garden hose can break if water pressure builds.
    The pressure washer takes water and then creates the pressure in the unit (not the feeding hose) so need for anything special hose wise except you should run the faucet full open and use a nice size hose (5/8-in). You want to get more water available to the pressure washer than the rated output otherwise the pump will starve so you will want at least 3 gallons delivery to the pressure washer.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    The pressure washer takes water and then creates the pressure in the unit (not the feeding hose) so need for anything special hose wise except you should run the faucet full open and use a nice size hose (5/8-in). You want to get more water available to the pressure washer than the rated output otherwise the pump will starve so you will want at least 3 gallons delivery to the pressure washer.
    I get the idea that the pressure washer creates the pressure, not the source hose. My question is related to the amount of water needed to not starve the pressure washer. If you are not actively using the pressure washer and the source hose is still on, is the pressure needed to feed the pressure washer enough to create issue with a standard garden hose? I know if you leave a hose on with no outlet, they can eventually break. See where I am going?
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

Post Thanks / Like

I get the idea that the pressure washer creates the pressure, not the source hose. My question is related to the amount of water needed to not starve the pressure washer. If you are not actively using the pressure washer and the source hose is still on, is the pressure needed to feed the pressure washer enough to create issue with a standard garden hose? I know if you leave a hose on with no outlet, they can eventually break. See where I am going?
    TID10,

There`s no difference between hooking a hose to a pressure washer or to a spray nozzle with an on/off lever. If you leave it on permanently for months using an inexpensive hose, then there might be some degradation. With a quality hose and leaving pressure on for a few hours at a time, I doubt that you`d see a failure. Or if you did, it would take years.

Regards,

Dan.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used a Karcher K2 model and my house with a under powered well pump and small holding tank (GPM less than 2 gpm continuous) would work. You can usually get at least 3+ through any house piping (often 1/2-in) and hose. It could not run my 3 GPM gas powered washer that I detested.

I have never heard a hose bursting due to long term pressure (like 60 psi) although I have done it once in a while (like noticed several days) without any issues. Hoses are designed to handle a lot more pressure than a typical house source so not likely to burst.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Thread Information