Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clay bar chart

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clay bar chart

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    I suppose a clay chart could work but should it be based on the level of power of the resistance to scratching.

Although the clay story has been told (their are only a few clay manufacturers in the world because of the US patent) there are tons and tons of different formulas.

Higher quality clays tend to remove contamination with out scratching, lesser quality clays tend to scratch more (per power level). I suppose I can come up with chart based solely on the level of defect removal (although I am afraid it doesn `t tell the whole story).

I think it would be helpful to have something. I mean its obvious when its Megs mild vs Megs aggressive. With all the other brands they just call it DP clay or Sonus clay. A chart of some type would be wonderful.

Post Thanks / Like

Could the chart be somewhat misleading though. Just playing devils advocate here. Wouldn`t the aggressiveness of the different clays be dependent on the pressure used by the user, the amount or quality of the lube, the amount of defects and whether or not the user kneaded it to clean areas enough and so on. I think there could be a chart for sure but there seems to be many variables to the end result which could lead some into believing one is actually finer or coarser than another. Just by the manner in which it was used.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rzatch View Post
    Could the chart be somewhat misleading though. Just playing devils advocate here. Wouldn`t the aggressiveness of the different clays be dependent on the pressure used by the user, the amount or quality of the lube, the amount of defects and whether or not the user kneaded it to clean areas enough and so on. I think there could be a chart for sure but there seems to be many variables to the end result which could lead some into believing one is actually finer or coarser than another. Just by the manner in which it was used.
    Ture, but couldnt the same be said for the pad chart? I mean you could use M105 with a white pad and get pretty different results then you would with an orange pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure it could but if one were to use those products and post the results then the corrections would be easier to resolve for the user. Pressures, passes area corrected and so on could be narrowed down. But if someone were to come on here and said I used clay lube and this clay and this is what happened could be a different story, that is normally what is said when it comes to claying. Just saying it is normally a much broader explanation compared to polishing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information