Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rinseless washing as safe as traditional bucket?

I was wondering what specific aspect of the traditional 2 bucket wash makes it viewed as safer than a rinseless wash using ONR or DP`s product or even a waterless wash.

It seems on fairly clean paint the majority opinion is that the are equally as safe using good practice techniques thus pure cleaners and providing lubricity, they seem to be rated as equal

Therefore is it the pre-rinse with a hose that really makes them equal? That is, if I hose down the car first like I would for a traditional wash it would be as safe?

From my fun with foam guns, I have not seen that big of a benefit in removing bonded crud especially on lower sides but left on it can act as extra cushion for the wash mitt.

I guess my hypothesis is if you take the same vehicle, rinse in down well, then proceed to do either a traditional 2 bucket or a rinseless wash (washing while still damp from the rinse) then they will always be equally safe no matter the condition of the vehicle?

Agree or disagree?

If you disagree, what is the extra safety done in a traditional 2 bucket without about foam down, no foaming while wiping, no prsssure washer, no modified 16 bucket method, 16 mitts or 36 towels, etc) and no radio controlled helicopters (inside joke if you know the reference) or what makes rinseless less safe,

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rinseless washing as safe as traditional bucket?

I feel traditional soaps offer more lubrication and better cleaning ability.

I also use a pressure washer with my traditional washes, and IMO there is no comparison when you involve that into the mix.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I feel traditional soaps offer more lubrication and better cleaning ability.

I also use a pressure washer with my traditional washes, and IMO there is no comparison when you involve that into the mix.
    So you view the pressure washer as very key. To me, the soap (traditional, rinseless) can be solved with chemistry but obviously do not think rinseless is there yet.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I don`t think anything can replace bucket wash. That said ORN and PB S&W are two very good alternatives IMO.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Either method, done incorrectly, will result in swirls (you can even throw in waterless). I see them as a continuum - mildly dirty, waterless works fine (there are exceptions); normal rinseless; really dirty, there is no substitute for a power washer. By virtue of that statement, I am agreeing that traditional is the safest. The trick is using the appropriate for the dirtiness level and, conversely, if you`ve chosen a method, not letting the vehicle get out of that method`s bounds.

Post Thanks / Like

I am trying to illicit opinions on what you would need to do extra to get the "safety" of a traditional process (Rasky considers pw a must) to a rinseless product.

Chris at Optimum has said you can use ONR just like a traditional soap but think some already do not agree there is anything you can do (pre-rinse, etc) to get an equivalent safe process.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

The dirtier the car, the more the need for a pressure washer.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve read that pressure washing can damage the paint too, I try to stay away from that now. IMO if you do a good pre-soak, either method done with proper wash technique will be fine. I`ve heard nothing but good things about ORN.

Post Thanks / Like

If you get the nozzle too close or use too high a power pw, sure, you can peel paint off of a car - if you catch a paint chip wrong. Don`t do those things. You are just ttying to knock off the loose dirt. The shampoo or rinsless lifts the dirt from the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sc_S13 View Post
    I`ve read that pressure washing can damage the paint too, I try to stay away from that now. IMO if you do a good pre-soak, either method done with proper wash technique will be fine. I`ve heard nothing but good things about ORN.
    I don`t think it`s pressure washing that damages the paint I think it`s too much pressure. You don`t need 3000 psi to wash a car. Some of the smaller pressure washers are plenty to wash cars.

I think traditional washes are safer. The combination of more water and lubricants in traditional soaps make it safer.

With that said if you`re smart and rinse more often you could safely do a rinseless wash on a dirty car. But thick dirt I would do a prerinse

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    So you view the pressure washer as very key. To me, the soap (traditional, rinseless) can be solved with chemistry but obviously do not think rinseless is there yet.
    Yes, with either method. Getting as much dirt of the surface before it`s touched with any wash method is the key to a swirl free wash.

In the harsh MN winters are cars look like this after a day of driving in the slop....no way I`m taking ONR or even traditional wash to paint looking like this without a pre-rinse from a pressure washer! Period!

With my personal car, which is wearing Opti-Guard, I will run down to the coin-opp this time of year and use the harsh "pre-rinse" chemicals since it won`t effect the coating, and follow it up with the soap and rise settings. Then I drive 6 blocks home and do an ONR wash, where my wash media (sponge, mitt, or MF towels) only pick up a slight amount of dirt on the extreme lower portions of the car, right behind behind the wheels. On all other panels my wash media stays visibly dirt free as the water in my bucket is also as clean as when I started. In the summer a foam cannon with a good soap is enough to have the same effect.

Rasky

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sc_S13 View Post
    In my 22 years of using a pressure washer to wash cars with I`ve never seen any damage from them that wasn`t a direct result of improper use by the operator.

Post Thanks / Like

I myself feel that the two bucket method is the safe way due to the ability to use a pressure washer (and more water in general) and the added lubrication of more traditional soaps. The added bonus to use a prewash foam on dark colored cars is another bonus.
    Thomas Kehlenbeck
    Aggressive Detailing

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    In my 22 years of using a pressure washer to wash cars with I`ve never seen any damage from them that wasn`t a direct result of improper use by the operator.
    A few years back an old neighbor use a 4000PSI P/W on his car and remove some trim pieces. He was very sorry about this, because it was a MB S600....
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    A few years back an old neighbor use a 4000PSI P/W on his car and remove some trim pieces. He was very sorry about this, because it was a MB S600....

Haha and I sometimes feel that 1800 is too much.
    Thomas Kehlenbeck
    Aggressive Detailing

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information