Thread: Need Help

Post Thanks / Like

Need Help

I really hate to climb on my truck to wash the roof and was wondering what would be a good product to use to wash the roof, I have found this brush, is it going to leave scratches. Thanks

Montana Original 10 inch Boar’s Hair Car Wash Brush

IOWA BOY
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Help

Looks kind of pricey to me, plus shipping, could be quite a bit. d just binvest in ladder or plank step that are usually2 steps high. Sometimes the plnk step still int high enough and step ladder must be used. I had at my use a Little Giant ladder. They are the safest and strongest for someone at 350lbs like myself. I do have 3 green bristled wash brushes. The first 2 werent cheap, and the 3rd I got at an acreage auction for $10 with handle and other crap I didnt really need. Just remember you will still need to polish and use some LSP after wards as even those bristles do lightly scratch the clear coat. Jsy make sure you have penty of sudsy wash solution and keep te brush clan with secondbucket of clear water to irnse before going aftr the sudsy foam.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t have a actual boars hair brush either as the above poster but have a very soft similar one made by Harper broom and have never had an issue with it. Some people that do have the Boars hair rave about them and others say for the cost they are not worth it. I rarely use my brush except when I`m in a hurry but for the most part just use a 3` step ladder and a mit to wash the roof of my 4X4 F150. I only have to move it once to do one whole side. Some of the sites have stopped selling them I don`t know the reason behind it. Could be slow sales because of the price or complaints. If it were me I would do some research on reviews before I made up my mind on spending that kind of money. I know that`s not much help I`m sure I wish I could give you a clear cut answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Its not a bad brush at all, very soft and gentle.

Issue is, you have to keep it clean (really like all wash media) and I find it difficult sometimes as you have to be careful where you place it. Make sure to keep the bristles really clean as brushes tend to hold items in them. They also like to pick debris up. What I do with mine is after cleaning it thoroughly, I place it on a grit guard to let it dry. Once it is dried, I place it in a bag and seal it to keep it from getting anything in it when being stored.

This being said, my preferred method is to just use a ladder and a standard form of wash media as I can truly control the amount of pressure and know I am being my most gentle on the paint.
    Thomas Kehlenbeck
    Aggressive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktruckowner View Post
    I really hate to climb on my truck to wash the roof and was wondering what would be a good product to use to wash the roof, I have found this brush, is it going to leave scratches. Thanks

Let me preface by saying that for a VERY long time I was against boar`s hair brushes (or brushes of any nature really, except on the interior).

The first time I used a Montana brush I thought, "wow this is really nice but its got to be scratching the surface." This was on my soft paint black HHR. There were no straight line marks or `swirls` to my surprise.

Since then I have used the Montana brushes semi regularly (usually to give the Speed3 a quick wash after driving 150 miles to PBMG) and have found the following to be true.

They are the highest quality boar`s hair brushes I have ever used and the only brush I would wash my car with.

You must, like all wash media, keep them clean. I like to use use two grit guards in the rinse bucket and rub the bristles against the guard.

Wash gently with light pressure.

As mentioned they are no cheap, but as somebody you has used other (lesser) boar`s hair brushes and has seen the devastating results they create on paint (swirls galore) I would much rather pay for the quality and save 2-3 hours of polishing time and removing clear coat from removing swirls created by the `other stuff`.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a black truck as well as a white minivan. I HATE cleaning the roof also. I have a 3 step ladder that works, but is kind of a pain to use. Like others as well as Mike Phillips at autogeek are suggesting, a work platform could be helpful. I don`t want another big piece of equipment in my garage and I was thinking along the same line as you.

These boar`s brushes are all pricey and I`ve never used them before. They seem to be a high end product, so I would doubt they scratch. Others with experience could give you more reliable info.

But how about something like a microfiber with an extension pole? In fact, I think I`ll pick one up now that you brought it up.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one that looks just like that is BH. I`ve had it for years! I use it on larger SUV and 4X4 on the roof mainly. I also use it to clean the windows on the house with a squeegee.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I would just get some kind of step. I`m not a fan of brushes on paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used a brush on my truck and I`ve not had an issue. I put in the rinse bucket pretty often just to make sure I`m not dragging dirt across the paint. I haven`t noticed any marring from using it.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t have a garage to keep a ladder in so I`m just going to buy the brush when I go down to Florida, Thanks for your help guys.

Post Thanks / Like

But how about something like a microfiber with an extension pole? In fact, I think I`ll pick one up now that you brought it up.[/QUOTE]

did you check the hyperlink i suggested above? chenille microfiber on a pole as opposed to the boars brush you were thinking about. lot cheaper.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a really nice Boars Hair brush similar to the picture from PAC back in the day.
    It is great on every car except my Brilliant Black Crystal Pearlcoat `09 Grand Cherokee, which it will leave lines in the paint. So I tried using it more gently, and it wouldnt get all the dirt off, so I quit using it for that vehicle only, and went back to the softest chenille I could find, and all is well.

If you really want to get up there and its a big truck, or at least has big wheels/tires, there are only a couple of options - the Werner fixed height platform at Home Depot or Lowes, etc., or this nice adjustable platform at Amazon ----
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-55600-Workbench-Scaffold/dp/B004KLSQ6A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I314O128M8VRGT&c olid=2VT1YKJ8BB78D]Amazon.com: Astro Pneumatic 55600 2 in 1 Workbench Table / Scaffold: Home Improvement[/ame]

If you have Amazon Prime, that means it ships free and sometimes quicker than normal.

Good luck, I have had way too many black vehicles in my life and I dont know why I keep getting them! My kids even have black vehicles ! What have I created ????

One year in my business, I detailed 20 Black BMW`s in a row - almost made me crazy, but I`m good at it and they all turned out perfect !

Good luck with your research on this !
    Dan F

Thread Information