Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Post Thanks / Like
    :-B

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    Me too. I totally agree. Dawn (I feel) is totally paint and trim safe. Many have fell victim to the forum hype saying otherwise. :cornut:
    Director The hype train departs daily :driving:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    PM sent. I hope you`re a fan of Hardcore Pawn??:ar!
    Don`t care for Hard Core Pawn. That entire family seems very greasy to me :-?

I like the show with the grumpy old dude and the fat kid Da Rules!

The new show on Spike with the two blonde chicks is intresting as well :Snowman:

Post Thanks / Like
    We used to do a fair amount of washing and interior detailing of passenger cars at the airport. When I first started the general practice was to use dishwashing detergent, usually Dawn. While I never found it to actually strip or damage finishes, I did find that even if you used it highly diluted by water, it was tough to rinse off completely and left water spots that needed to be gone back over with a microfiber and a spray-shine of one sort or another. After a while one of my supervisors found this stuff Zep-O-Shine and we started using it. It was a dual purpose wash/wax that had softeners in it and other checmicals that would easily remove heavy soils (even tar) without stripping the paint. It worked great for our purposes (which, again, were only to wash the exterior; the heavy detailing occured inside the vehicle).

[Removed link, sorry.]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetDet View Post
    We used to do a fair amount of washing and interior detailing of passenger cars at the airport. When I first started the general practice was to use dishwashing detergent, usually Dawn. While I never found it to actually strip or damage finishes, I did find that even if you used it highly diluted by water, it was tough to rinse off completely and left water spots that needed to be gone back over with a microfiber and a spray-shine of one sort or another. After a while one of my supervisors found this stuff and we started using it. It worked great for our purposes (which, again, were only to wash the exterior; the heavy detailing occured inside the vehicle).
    No direct links are aloud ^ Da Rules!

On a side note.....I was caught in a shower yesterday and my paint is still beading like crazy <:-P

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh. Sorry. I`ll remove that and edit the post to just have the name. I thought that since I don`t sell the stuff it would be okay. My bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh. Sorry. I`ll remove that and edit the post to just have the name. I thought that since I don`t sell the stuff it would be okay. My bad.
    No big deal. Happens all the time

You can name the product, just no direct links

Zep has a following in the forum world

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    No big deal. Happens all the time

You can name the product, just no direct links

Zep has a following in the forum world
    I`m sure. They have a TON of products. They make a great aircraft wash that I used all the time. They also have a lot of really good spray cleaners and strippers. I used Zep Powerhouse to strip pnuematic de-icer boots on prop planes when it was time to re-seal them. Zep stuff is awesome - but generally pretty expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to beat a dead horse, but...

Food for thought. Meguiar`s has MSDS for all their products available online so I simply use them as an example. Proctor & Gamble (Dawn) also has their MSDS and ingredient lists available. Doing a side by side comparison of Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Car Wax and Ultra Dawn Original, they BOTH use sodium lauryl sulfate as their primary surfactant/cleaning agent. Dawn also uses sodium laureth sulfate as a primary whereas Meguiar`s uses Cocamido Propyl Betaine, a surfactant derived from coconut plants. The point is, it appears by and large that the main ingredients used for dish detergent and car detergent are the same. The difference is in the details. Dawn lists several more ingredients, among them sodium chloride and magnesium chloride, both salts. Meguiar`s doesn`t list all their ingredients in the MSDS. So when you argue about degreaser, understand that both car and dish soaps use the same one (at least based on the quick browse I did through Meguiar`s MSDS sheets.) Furthermore, it only makes sense that Dawn recommends not using their product for anything other than its intended use. All companies do this, if, on the off chance that something unintentional and probably unlikely will happen, they can`t face litigation. Just think of all the ridiculous warnings you see on chainsaws, toasters, blow torches, etc. Just use common sense when using these products. Yes, Dawn contains sodium chloride, and yes, it may corrode, but if you live where I do, your car is bombarded by salt to the magnitude of 50x the amount in Dawn every winter when the snow plows cover the roads in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the research, Hawk. Like I said, I never had a problem with Dawn on cars for doing cursory hand washes except that it`s pretty sudsy and difficult to make sure you`ve rinsed it all off. That, and the tendency for water spots to form if you don`t do a follow-up spray shine. But because of the fears a lot of people have about dish soap, we went to the Zep stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maccini View Post
    OK, quick question ... I know this post is a little old .... Does Ethyl Alcohol (ETHANOL) strip car wax? If so, Dawn will. I just looked up the MSDS of Dawn Dish-washing Liquid and looked at the ingredients. Just do a search for MSDS and Dawn and you can download a pdf file. I got my download from here ...

http://www.pdflibrary.info/download/...mdfc29hcC5wZGY
    I would rather soak my skin/car in alcohol, rather then a known Cancer causing agent (Oxybenzone) that is in most all of your dedicated car wash soaps

Quote Originally Posted by weekendwarrior View Post
    Come on now...you can`t come to this thread and post proof and data. This is supposed to be a totally anecdotal debate. Lol
    Check the MSDS sheet on Meguiars Car Wash Soap :spy:

==================================================

Director BTW...I washed my car again yesterday using Dawn. Its still beading like crazy <:-P

Post Thanks / Like
    . But because of the fears a lot of people have about dish soap, we went to the Zep stuff.
    I have a phrase I coined you may get some use out of

"The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself"

Trouble :Innocent:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye_TDI View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse, but...

Food for thought. Meguiar`s has MSDS for all their products available online so I simply use them as an example. Proctor & Gamble (Dawn) also has their MSDS and ingredient lists available. Doing a side by side comparison of Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Car Wax and Ultra Dawn Original, they BOTH use sodium lauryl sulfate as their primary surfactant/cleaning agent. Dawn also uses sodium laureth sulfate as a primary whereas Meguiar`s uses Cocamido Propyl Betaine, a surfactant derived from coconut plants. The point is, it appears by and large that the main ingredients used for dish detergent and car detergent are the same. The difference is in the details. Dawn lists several more ingredients, among them sodium chloride and magnesium chloride, both salts. Meguiar`s doesn`t list all their ingredients in the MSDS. So when you argue about degreaser, understand that both car and dish soaps use the same one (at least based on the quick browse I did through Meguiar`s MSDS sheets.) Furthermore, it only makes sense that Dawn recommends not using their product for anything other than its intended use. All companies do this, if, on the off chance that something unintentional and probably unlikely will happen, they can`t face litigation. Just think of all the ridiculous warnings you see on chainsaws, toasters, blow torches, etc. Just use common sense when using these products. Yes, Dawn contains sodium chloride, and yes, it may corrode, but if you live where I do, your car is bombarded by salt to the magnitude of 50x the amount in Dawn every winter when the snow plows cover the roads in it.

Looks like someone has done their homework :-B

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    I have a phrase I coined you may get some use out of

"The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself"

Trouble :Innocent:

That was you who coined that?? I`ve always wondered! lol

Post Thanks / Like
    That was you who coined that?? I`ve always wondered! lol
    Yes, it was I :-B

I will leave you with another that I just thought of

"Don`t take any wooden nickels"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Dreams View Post
    Why post pictures if I`m not looking for business? To prove something to you?

As far as the legitamacy of the advice I offer, can you show me where I`ve offered bad advice please?

If you wanna pull the elementary school "what do I have to prove" stuff than fine, but its not helping your cause because this is the internet and pictures seem to solve most predicaments like the one you happen to be in.

You asked me to show you where you have offered bad advice...

^Yup that qualifies as bad advice, anyone reading that who is here to learn (majority of this community actually) would take your advice and be seriously disappointed with it. Any legitimate detailer that thinks its okay to use Dawn and it wont affect the protection on the car should not be detailing. Furthermore you also seemed surprised it dries out trim... um yes thats what detergents do and if you maintained a customers car using Dawn regularly I`d be amazed you`d stay in business for more than a year.

Were all just online personalities, we don`t meet in person and anyone can make up or claim anything. SO the only real way for us differentiate between those who are legit and those who are a front is by, wait, you ready for this? .... PICTURES!

So far your tally comes to zero.

In this somewhat of a ridiculous pissing contest you really have no merit because your words are garbage and incorrect and would indicate that you don`t detail as you say you do, the lack of any pictures backs this claim up even more.

Good so far? K, moving on.

BTW...How is your $800 an hour detailing class coming along Muscleman

I would take offense to that comment but considering a grown man is bitter over a the rates I charge for my services, that would lead me to suggest a massive insecurity on your part. On that note I feel wrong offering up a hurtful rebuttal so I will instead offer you a DISCOUNT for my $800/hr detailing class. You clearly need some training when it comes to detailing so just for you I`ll do it for $775/hr, lunch is on me too.

*Note to mods: Please let this play out, eventually you wont have to make any sort of "decision" when it comes to weather or not banning Trouble is a good idea. He will make that one for you.
    Psalms 58:6

My enemies have set a trap for me

I am weary from distress

They have dug a deep pit in my path, but they themselves have fallen into it

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread Information