Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    Trouble, you are the only detailer I know who uses Dawn to wash on a regular basis as I use it just to strip LSP and I would make a good guess that everyone else feels the same way.

No worries though do what you "Gotta do".
    Bob, I don`t offer "Car Washes" so, it doesn`t matter to me if the LSP gets stripped off or not

All I was trying to ask is how is it on my personal car can I go 3 months and still have heavy beading action if Dawn strips the LSP and I wash every 10-14 days

Sorry this subject has gotten everyone in such an uproar

Trouble OMG!]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Bob, I don`t offer "Car Washes" so, it doesn`t matter to me if the LSP gets stripped off or not

All I was trying to ask is how is it on my personal car can I go 3 months and still have heavy beading action if Dawn strips the LSP and I wash every 10-14 days

Trouble OMG!]
    Are there any pictures of the cars you detail? You spend a lot of time on the forums with no real work to post or legitimate advice to offer for those who seek it...

Oh, and most every single person on here who you contest or question actually details cars on a regular basis, with pictures to verify their legitimacy and skill... just throwing that out there.

I really am not trying to start anything at all but just so you know where im coming from I feel like the situation is similar to when someone fatter than you gives you advice on how to lose weight, I just dont buy it :biggrin:
    David Saunders

Street Dreams Detail
    Now in San Diego California

..And as for the critics, tell me I don`t get it
    Everybody can tell you how to do it, they never did it

Post Thanks / Like

Trouble OMG!]

But you are "Washing" your own car Chief..................... why strip off anything is that`s not the intent??

Come on now, I agreed with you on TOWGT aka Jon Miller, but this and your thoughts on Megs D-300.............. is like the Aflac commercial "They will even give you cash which is the same as money" and the Barber is like "Whaaaattt" at some point Flash to argue just to argue....2+2 = 4 not 6 SNP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Comfortable in my own skin"

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the fact that many people still use & buy Dawn since it helps save wildlife.
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shizam1 View Post
    There was a chemist on here a while back stating that Dawn won`t do any worse to paint then automotive detergents.

I`m not a chemist, and can`t verify anything anyway, so I`ll just continue to use Meguiars NXT or ONR on my cars.

Your car may still bead with no wax if it`s highly polished and has no gunk on it.
    I remember that thread Weightlifter

http://www.truthindetailing.com/Foru...h+washing+soap

Quote Originally Posted by Street Dreams View Post
    Are there any pictures of the cars you detail? You spend a lot of time on the forums with no real work to post or legitimate advice to offer for those who seek it...

Oh, and most every single person on here who you contest or question actually details cars on a regular basis, with pictures to verify their legitimacy and skill... just throwing that out there.

I really am not trying to start anything at all but just so you know where im coming from I feel like the situation is similar to when someone fatter than you gives you advice on how to lose weight, I just dont buy it :biggrin:
    Why post pictures if I`m not looking for business? To prove something to you?

As far as the legitamacy of the advice I offer, can you show me where I`ve offered bad advice please?

BTW...How is your $800 an hour detailing class coming along Muscleman

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    But you are "Washing" your own car Chief..................... why strip off anything is that`s not the intent??

Come on now, I agreed with you on TOWGT aka Jon Miller, but this and your thoughts on Megs D-300.............. is like the Aflac commercial "They will even give you cash which is the same as money" and the Barber is like "Whaaaattt" at some point Flash to argue just to argue....2+2 = 4 not 6 SNP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This response makes no sense Bob /

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck91 View Post
    I like the fact that many people still use & buy Dawn since it helps save wildlife.
    Me too Nick, me too @-)

Post Thanks / Like
    [B]
    Do NOT start this again, please. Back away from the keyboard, take a deep breath. Every time I see your posts head down this road, it always ends the same.....

Just relax, it`s detailing. Let`s not make it into any more than it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikenap View Post
    Do NOT start this again, please. Back away from the keyboard, take a deep breath. Every time I see your posts head down this road, it always ends the same.....
    Just relax, it`s detailing. Let`s not make it into any more than it is.

Flash/trouble I was throwing some humor into the situation so it would not go like Mike just said^^^^ "It always ends the same" and we know where that is and that is "Bannedcamp".

Look, you use Dawn for your washes.....great it does not strip anything on your car only.......it is a "De-greaser" for greasy dishes, and it happens to do the same thing to cars with wax/sealants. It takes me sometime a couple of hits with the dawn and/or clay to get everything off and that is why we all use it, but to say it does not strip wax..................... is detailing foilhatness especially when you say anybody who says it does is full of poop......well that means me and almost the entire detailing world pro and enthusiast.

Having strong opinions are fine, but banging Dave about the class is dumb and the muscle pose.......he earned it as I am twice his size(More or less lol) and I cannot lift what he does.....not on my best day, so in conclusion agree to disagree so you can stay around a little longer, or...............you know what............."Clippage with the quickness" is coming and coming right soon.
    "Comfortable in my own skin"

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol I`ve read few places about a certain someone who can`t seem to stay on forums too long before they get the boot. It seems that may be the case here. Anyways I and many other people use dawn because it DOES indeed help strip wax and sealants. So unless you can prove it doesnt and its just all of our imaginations, you sir are wrong. Maybe your car still beads because you are light on the soap.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Quesada

"Success is not the key to happiness.
    Happiness is the key to success.
    If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful."
    - Albert Schweitzer

Post Thanks / Like
    Why post pictures if I`m not looking for business? To prove something to you?

As far as the legitamacy of the advice I offer, can you show me where I`ve offered bad advice please?

If you wanna pull the elementary school "what do I have to prove" stuff than fine, but its not helping your cause because this is the internet and pictures seem to solve most predicaments like the one you happen to be in.

You asked me to show you where you have offered bad advice...

Dawn doesn`t strip wax. If it were the case, why does my car still bead like crazy and I haven`t waxed it in two months :-?

Whoever started this myth doesn`t know what there talking about
    ^Yup that qualifies as bad advice, anyone reading that who is here to learn (majority of this community actually) would take your advice and be seriously disappointed with it. Any legitimate detailer that thinks its okay to use Dawn and it wont affect the protection on the car should not be detailing. Furthermore you also seemed surprised it dries out trim... um yes thats what detergents do and if you maintained a customers car using Dawn regularly I`d be amazed you`d stay in business for more than a year.

Were all just online personalities, we don`t meet in person and anyone can make up or claim anything. SO the only real way for us differentiate between those who are legit and those who are a front is by, wait, you ready for this? .... PICTURES!

So far your tally comes to zero.

In this somewhat of a ridiculous pissing contest you really have no merit because your words are garbage and incorrect and would indicate that you don`t detail as you say you do, the lack of any pictures backs this claim up even more.

Good so far? K, moving on.

I would take offense to that comment but considering a grown man is bitter over a the rates I charge for my services, that would lead me to suggest a massive insecurity on your part. On that note I feel wrong offering up a hurtful rebuttal so I will instead offer you a DISCOUNT for my $800/hr detailing class. You clearly need some training when it comes to detailing so just for you I`ll do it for $775/hr, lunch is on me too.

*Note to mods: Please let this play out, eventually you wont have to make any sort of "decision" when it comes to weather or not banning Trouble is a good idea. He will make that one for you.
    David Saunders

Street Dreams Detail
    Now in San Diego California

..And as for the critics, tell me I don`t get it
    Everybody can tell you how to do it, they never did it

Post Thanks / Like
    Come on you guys :chillpillut ! :smile:Its Bed time:wink:
    I will miss you TID! R.I.P !

Post Thanks / Like
    With all due respect Chris. That article sounds like a bunch of gobbly-gook. It seems to me that the ones you always hear promoting using a dedicated car wash soap, are the very ones selling automotive detailing supplies

All I can say is I`ve been washing my personal car for 17 years every 2 weeks with Dawn and waxing every 2-3 months and am happy to report all of my seals are intact and my paint is immaculate and beads like nobodys business. My painter who commands as much as $75,000 pr vehicle uses Dawn too. If anyone would know about dishwashing liquid damaging paint, I assure you he would

Untill someone can provide some solid data that proves dishwashing liquid causes all these issues I see on the net, I`m going to always consider it just someone blowing smoke a.k.a. internet follklore a.k.a. someone who really doesn`t know what there talking about

Kind regards,

Trouble :-B
    I just found it interesting...I didn`t write it. For the record it`s UV rays that manufacturers try their best to protect paint from, not detergent...but that`s another thread. My personal experience with continued dish detergent is more brittle fender well plastics and a dull, but squeaky clean surface. That`s fine for my dinnerware, but I want my car to look wet. And sure there are gimmicky products out there, but I don`t think car wash shampoo makers are out to get us. Instead of asking for proof of damage, I`d rather know the "benefits" of using a product. I can`t think of any benefit to using Dawn as your go to wash product, unless you`re trying to save some coin by using what you have under the sink. The guys that use it to strip, I`m not talking about you...I`m saying with Zip Wash & Wax for $6 a gallon there is no reason to use dish soap over car wash regularly. I know a lot of people that have that "if it works" mentality, but I don`t subscribe. We had discussion on another forum whe one guy was advocating using regular car wash as a rinseless...and another where a guy was using no rinse floor cleaner as a rinse less wash and loved it. Even when Dr G (organic chemist and Optimum Car Care founder) explained technically about different polymers for indoors and out, and how different floor surfaces and automotive coatings needs are the guy still said "oh, well it works fine for me."

To sum up, you can use Dawn if you like, but I prefer to use a dedicated automotive cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, Well, I was surprised to read all of the responses here from the professional detailers.. I think it was Trouble--though not sure, who referenced a web site about dish soaps vs. car soaps, and I finished reading it.. Dr. Az--the chemist in Australia recommends---not to wash our cars with dish soaps as they will cause rust on metal areas like scratches etc...
    My sister has returned the Dawn to the kitchen---ha.!! where it will be used for the purpose it was manufactured for. After all, she still wants me to go out and hand wax her corvette which I enjoy doing.!!-best to all of you, softoa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn`t Dawn fairly expensive to use as a car soap?
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    I have applied Collinite to the stainless kitchen sink and it lasted through about 5 Dawn assaults. Which tells me that a low ratio does not strip a durable wax.

Yes Bunky, it appears to be more costly. And just what is the ratio (for stripping) of Dawn to water? Does anybody know?

CG does the job thoroughly and safely and is inexpensive.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you like to use a dedicated car soap to wash then that`s fine by me and if you like using dawn then that`s fine also by me. Use what you like and want. I still be using a car soap for regular washing and once in a while use dawn for those problem areas when I need it. Remember it`s detailing, not rocket science. Enjoy your detailing day!
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information