Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used and liked Mother California Gold, Ultima, super slick in suds, P21S body work shampoo and most recently Lusso on reccomendation from a pro on this board. I have not had any strip wax or sealant when mixed correctly.

All the above provide lubricity, and soil removal (not grease removal) you said maintenance wash right.

Good luck. FWIW, the process is much more important than the product. All the washes mentioned above, plus a whole lot more will get you there. You don`t need to spend alot of money. I would invest a few dollars you save in the PH strips to prove to your self that it is neutral. You will be able to feel the lubricity and see cleaning ability. PH plus lubricity and cleaning ability along with an easy rinse are all you need.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a huge fan of Optimum Car Wash. It has great foaming and great lubricity. It also smells great!!!

As Jeff said above, the process is just as, if not more important then the shampoo itself. Use 2 buckets with Grit Guards, and be careful with your wash media. Make sure it is clean and will not induce any scratches. You know the rest of the process.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used allot of different Shampoos, from DoDo Juice, Born to be Mild, Sour Power, Basics of Bling, DP, Wolfgang you name it....the 2 that I always go back to is: Megs Gold Class and ONR.....

Post Thanks / Like
    lusso oro/pinnacle bodywork/adams. d/p.just to name a few of my favs

Post Thanks / Like
    for me its blackfire shampoo, followed by optimum and eimann fabrik in that order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for you help and recommendations.

I`ll probably try Optimum Car Wash and maybe one other - haven`t decided on the 2nd one yet.

I didn`t realize Optimum made a wash other than ONR?

I`m confident with my process and wash media, I`m just looking to try something new.

Thanks!

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    i like eimann fabrik gentle shampoo. great suds and gentle cleaning. a litttle goes a long way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Optimum car wash is my choice, love the berry like smell and to me it seems to leave a nice shine behind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Duragloss 901 certainly enjoys a lot of support in various detailing forums. I have used it and it worked well for me.

On the recommendation of a detailer I respect, I purchased a jug of Griot`s car shampoo, which I intend to start using once the weather warms up.

Post Thanks / Like
    One more question... may be a shot in the dark but....

Are any of these recommendations environmentally friendly?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Any of the waterless varieties would be preferred, but I don`t see a big environmental impact from any of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Optimum is my favorite due to smell, suds endurance, price (all at rated dilution of 1/2 oz per gallon despite bottle labeling), and plus it cleans and rinses ok but I have used and still use more than one brand just to use them since I have them. I do not think it leaves much of an added shine like some brands but that is not important to me.

If you want something close to ONR from a bucket, try 1z Perls. It is very low sudsing and leaves behind a glossy finish. It seems to need a good wipe down especially on glass.
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Meguiar`s Gold Class or Meguiar`s Shampoo Plus. Both work well, mix well and rinse off nice, leaving a good shine. The Meguiar`s wash you mentioned does leave a wax, it`s really thick and tough to mix right, but it does leave a great shine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most automotive car washes are really wash and wax products (with rare exception). Whether they are marketed as such often comes down to the marketing department.

If a car wash leaves behind a slick surface, increases gloss, or promotes water beading, than it is leaving something behind on the surface that is having this effect. This is usually going to be some form of silicone, polymer, or carnauba wax. The same goes with quick detail sprays that leave the surface `slick` or `increase shine`.

For maintenance shampoo`s I prefer something has a substantial amount of wax/sealant in the formula. The more protection the better, IMO.

1Z Perls may be my all time favorite maintenance product, although it is quite expense per fluid oz. However this stuff will make water bead on your windows for weeks and weeks and really makes the paint brighter/glossier.

Meguiar`s Ultimate Wash and Wax is my second favorite maintenance wash, it doesn`t last quite as long as 1Z, but looks great is far more affordable. This is the most common wash I use on my personal cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

<UPDATE>

Hey guy, based on some of your recommendations, I bought Optimum Car Wash and finally got a chance to try it out on my cars.

I am very happy with the results. I use the two bucket method (with grit gaurds) and a sheepskin mitt.

The Optimum Car Wash suds up really well and I could feel how slippery it was between my wash mitt and the vehicle surface. It definitely felt like it would reduce the chance for scratches or swirls compared to what I`ve used before. It also left the finish very smooth after drying.

Anyway, thanks to everyone`s suggestions. I am happy with Optimum Car Wash.

I`d post some pictures of my results, if I could figure out how...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information