Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys, I have a bit of a dilema. I just now got a decent tire cleaner (diluted Greased Lightning). Before I did my best with Meguiars shampoo and a tire brush, but I never could get all that grime out from between the tread blocks (knobby offroad type tires), and I was stupid and went ahead and applied my tire dressings, so I`d be using about 1 tire swipe per every 4 tires. Well, it finally came around and bit me in the butt, and I have to keep running to get tire swipes. I tried to hand wash them once and it didnt turn out good at all. Do any of you wash and reuse your tire swipes? If so, what procedure do you use? Thanks for any help you can give. And yes, I`ve learned my lesson :sosad

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a sandwich bag for my tire swipes with a lable on each saying which dressing I used on them. I have one for Armour All (exclusively for the corolla tires, tires get changed every 2 year so I`m not worried.) one for Meguiar`s Endurance natural, Meguiar`s Endurance High gloss, and one for Vinylex.

I have reused these over and over again without problems. I don`t wash them. As for durability, I get new ones every other month. As for the corolla, been using the same one without throwing it out or changing it. Its been a good 10 months using that one, then again I only use the tire swipe about once a month. but its still good for a few more months before I replace it.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same problem. I re-use them as often as i can. I keep them in a clear bag and each tire swipe is labeled. What i found to be good and saved me time & money. I use the tire gel and take a stiff paint brush to apply it. The product goes on easy with no drips or streak marks. You can use the brush over & over again. Eagle one makes a pretty good tire dressing applicator.

Post Thanks / Like
    My usage is similar to Jason`s. I use one swipe per product. I don`t do the plastic bag thing but I do mark them so I know which is which.

I get about 2-3 months of use out of them. When the foam starts tearing from the handle then I know it`s time to toss. I can find them locally for under $2 per package.

Post Thanks / Like
    I find that using disposal foam staining brushes (available at the local hardware or paint store) are great for applying protectants on tires with tread blocks. They are real cheap and you don`t feel bad about tossing them when they start to self destruct.

I get about a months worth of use out of tire swipes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eagle One tire Swipes

1: Store them in plastic bags and label each one.

2: use them about 3 times and then they are history.

3: at 95 cents ea. they are not too bad.

MeGuiars foam Applicators get used once and thats it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I store them in Zip Locks and when they get slippery or kinda grungy I wash them in a bucket with some dawn and let em air dry.

I only toss them when they start to detiorate or the foam starts coming loose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like the others have mentioned, you should be able to use your tire swipes quite a few times. I use my tire swipes every week, sometimes twice a week. It`s been a few months and they still work pretty well. But its almost time to get some new ones. So use them up pretty well before you toss them away. Laters

Post Thanks / Like
    I find that if I wash them with a little dawn and water, they last much longer than if I don`t. I guess the vinylex I use deteriorates the foam on the swipes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried even washing them with Dawn but they still stayed pretty grimey. I just found a really nice tire dressing applicator made by Detailer`s Choice ($3.99) it has a rubber handle and works really nice. Someone posted a pic of it not to long ago.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I`m going to go against the grain here and say that I do NOT use tire swipes to apply my tire dressing. What I do use are the Viking brand 100% cotton cloths that can typically be found at AutoZone type stores.

The 100% cotton content actually makes little difference to me - it is the control that I have in applying the dressing with these that I like. The cloths can be folded any way that you like, and I`m able to reach in tight areas such as between the rim and tire.

Very economical as well, as they can be washed and reused many, many times. Works for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never throw them away and I only have two, I just soap em up and alcohol them, keep them clean and they are always as good as new. It`s only foam, not much to wear out even after 6 - 10 months of using them once a week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why are your tire swipes dirty? Don`t you clean the tires before putting dressing on? Dressing (and tire swipes) doesn`t last anywhere near as long when applied to a dirty tire.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s not that they are that dirty. It`s just that you need to get the dressing out of the swipe or over time, it eventually degrades the swipe.

Post Thanks / Like
    How fast do they de-grade, I have had my swipes for a little less than six months, I use them once a week and I use really strong cloth soap to clean them, I don`t see how plastic could break down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information